U2 Grammy Noms 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think WITS gets a bad rep because it was a 2nd single on a 'Best Of' compilation. It's a fine song...not as uptempo and some would like, but who said that was a requirement for a good song.

Most people hate Bono's somewhat cliched lyrics...but the song is really good regardless :yes:

Congrats to U2...:applaud:

Good lord. It's still circa 1985 in the Grammy office. Wood panelled walls, dudes in double breasted suits, smokin' cigars, showing people framed gold records on the wall next to framed Billboard charts showing off a # 1 hit single. I am absolutely stunned at ALL of those nominations.

As for the U2 ones, regardless of your personal opinions of those two songs, I think you'd have to be honest and admit that there's no way either are in the top 5 or even 50 of either of those categories over the past 12 months. I think it's sort of embarrassing that U2 can and will probably be so easily used as one of the examples of just how far and how spectacularly the Grammy's have tumbled into complete and total irrelevancy.

And as for personal opinions: I think Window in the Skies is a pile of cheesy shit, cheese turned up to 11, and Instant Karma is simply a passable cover and not much more. They don't really bring anything brilliant to the table, but then it doesn't suck either, it's just 'solid'. I can't believe it, as a simplistic cover, was even nominated.

Isn't Kanye West considered pop? Timberlake? This category is a complete JOKE. Nelly Furtado doesn't even get a nod? Honestly I can't understand the Pop category at all. Alicia Keys is more pop than WITS, for god's sake. WITS is firmly Adult Contemporary, if you ask me. And I don't mean that in a deragatory manner, it's just not "POP" by the definition of the term, not by a long shot.

eta: "Umbrella" by Rihanna, THAT is pop, and I think a definite contender, but WITS?? cmon now! I actually love the song, but it's not pop imo.

Last edited:
WITS is in a pop duo/group category. Rhianna gets her nod in the standard solo pop category, and song and record and whatever else.

The Grammy's are going to need a huge overhaul if they want to be taken seriously again one day. They've been a joke for as long as I can remember, and the gap is just widening now with every passing year. I understand that it's difficult for them - they need to somehow recognise the best of a year, but then also respect the stuff that sells the most, and then also they like to mix in some sort of hazy respect for some artists who do neither of the above but sort of are there representing certain demographics for them. Not easy, but the approach at the moment isn't working out for them at all. It is, at it's core, simply a tv event, and it's ratings are taking a fresh dive every year. If nothing else, that alone should be telling them something?

LyricalDrug said:
Window in the Skies is the 2nd best U2 song of all time, after "Streets." (Even though Bono's gone so far as to say it might actually be their BEST song :wink: )

Way to go, boys!

I think i just shit myself......

i cannot read any more of this thread. But since you think WITS is the second best u2 song of all time, do you also think your football team Cal is that good? What are they 6-6?

Just trying to figure out your logic here.

:der:

LyricalDrug said:

Uhhh... everyone's entitled to their opinion, but Window in the Skies is a breathtakingly good song. Bono said it might be U2's "best song" ever. (And yes, we all know Bono is prone to hyperbole, but he rarely goes THAT far unless he really means it.)

Did Bono really say that? I mean seriously...Bono said that. Come on, you're pulling our legs. If Bono said that I'm never listening to U...ah I'm so full of crap. Of course I'll still listen to U2. And I actually kind of like WITS, it's OK. But best song ever? WFT Bono.

And what is this talk of the Grammys' descent into irrelevancy...folks that ship has long since sailed. I think right around the time they gave the inaugural Heavy Metal Grammy, and Jethro Tull beat Metallica.

Not that the Oscars are really much better than the Grammys, but in comparison-----at least the Oscars throw a few wintertime thinker movies in for contention; the Grammys always seem to be summertime teen flicks. :shrug:

Please U2 deserve it as much as anyone else. Whether you love or hate the Grammys - they work just as hard or harder as anyone else and deserve the recognition.

I like Working Class Hero by Green Day also. Except for my admitted bias for U2, Green Day could win.
Maybe a tie/win for Instant Karma & WCHero :wink:

Do you however think that U2/Greenday both doing servicable/solid covers of Lennon songs ranks in the top 5 of all rock-genre songs released in the past 12 months?

The Grammys are designed to celebrate the music industry and money. Those U2 albums won because they moved units and were good for the business.

Critics lists are one thing, but the general public would not watch if obscure good stuff won awards. And, yeah, it's silly to categorize stuff as pop, rock, r&b, etc. But these people are accountants, not artists.

I hate Daughtry so much precisely because they are "not too bad." I would rather something be phenomenally, crazily bad than just straight-down-the-middle mediocre. A lot of terrible stuff gets a pass because it doesn't offend. It's just so safe that it shouldn't be called rock and roll.

Daughtry is just rock n roll at its plainest.

WITS deserves an award though, great song.

ramblin rose said:
I'm starting to think that U2 could do a remake of Old McDonald Had a Farm and then be up for a Grammy for "Best Interpretation of an Old Song"

I couldn't have said it better

They are great songs, don't get me wrong...but

Whatever

THEY'LL HAVE TO SHOW UP...and if they show up, they'll have to talk about the album...and we can gain some more insight

It was be great P.R for the band 2, U23D should b coming out the same month...am I right?

Oh, by the way

HEY THERE DELIAH?

WTF?

I could write a better song...IN A COMA!

Last edited:
If Hey There Deliah wins, I'm chucking my TV through a window. I really don't like that song or that band. I'd rather see Nickelback win. That's pretty sad.

Earnie Shavers said:
Good lord. It's still circa 1985 in the Grammy office. Wood panelled walls, dudes in double breasted suits, smokin' cigars, showing people framed gold records on the wall next to framed Billboard charts showing off a # 1 hit single. I am absolutely stunned at ALL of those nominations.

As for the U2 ones, regardless of your personal opinions of those two songs, I think you'd have to be honest and admit that there's no way either are in the top 5 or even 50 of either of those categories over the past 12 months. I think it's sort of embarrassing that U2 can and will probably be so easily used as one of the examples of just how far and how spectacularly the Grammy's have tumbled into complete and total irrelevancy.

And as for personal opinions: I think Window in the Skies is a pile of cheesy shit, cheese turned up to 11, and Instant Karma is simply a passable cover and not much more. They don't really bring anything brilliant to the table, but then it doesn't suck either, it's just 'solid'. I can't believe it, as a simplistic cover, was even nominated.

WITS is certainly one of the year's best songs. Regardless of how bad modern pop music has become. And I'd consider it one of U2's top songs.

That said, after the Metallica/Tull fiasco back in 1989, how can anyone be bothered by what the Grammys do?

That was 18 years ago.

Why are people still bothered?

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:

QFT

Great to see these tracks nominated, but the other nominees in the same categories are garish, it'd be better if U2 didn't have to be mentioned, but if they can nominate U2 they will.

U2? My favorite band nominated by the Grammys? Again?

I'm not complaining :D

:shrug:

I think in U2's case it's more them entering "elder rock statesmen/legends" territorry (read: Grammies way of saying "Sorry you lost with AB and you had a very good career but ...) than "they could release anything and still win".

martha said:

That, and the Best New Artist winners usually aren't.

Hey!!!!11ONE I resemble that remark!

Signed,
Milli Vanilli

Aardvark747 said:
What a hideous collection of 'artists' & songs, aside from u2.
I AGREE!!!! wtf, amy winehouse with the second most nominations after kanye?!
hey there delilah?!?!??! I AM SO SICK OF THAT SONG. it is not that great.

WCF said:
U2? My favorite band nominated by the Grammys? Again?

I'm not complaining :D

Me too. WITS is a good song. Not a fantastic song or even a great song but it was almost all the U2 i had this year to savor since their new album probably won't come out till Nov. 2008. Instant Karma isn't as good but it doesn't suck either.

As for the rest of the nominees eh most are boring and uninteresting. Some of the lesser catagories are pretty good. I always check out the best Americana/ Contemporary folk catagory. Bob Dylan won that last year.

Back
Top Bottom