U2 Go Home Is Awesome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This DVD is a sweet breath of fresh air for the U2 fan that has everything. Just when you think you have heard it all before, every song here is as vibrant as ever with 80,000+ screaming fans going bonkers. Add a castle and we have a U2/Lord of the Rings/Braveheart theme. Seriously, I don't think it gets better than this. Poor Boston. It has its moments (Gone, Bad and a few others), but it is no where near a complete package like slane.

Somebody has to make a CD-R of this show for my car (hhmmmmm, maybe Propaganda will release a CD like they did with Hasta)

What really would of pushed this DVD over the top would of been to include a bonus cd of the concert much like how Coldplay recently did with Live 2003.

rafmed said:
I got yesterday, (saturday 15), the new U2 dvd!

Its really marvelous, great concert, Bono's voice sounds great, the band great, a concert full of passion, and very moving, with great moments like Bono dancing with Eve during Mysterious ways, Wake up dead man is really breathtaking, the moment when Bono eyes get a bit teary during Kite, the crowd is amaizing, this is possibly the best Live U2 show filmed, I really love it, definately much better than elevation boston. Its a master piece. I think it will touch the soul of every u2 fan that watch it.

Ok now I will watch it for the 4th time :D

I couldn't wait for Christmas; I got it today. You are totally right; it makes Boston look like a half-hearted dress rehearsal. Everybody seems so happy to be home, there're lots of smiles among the band (Edge is seen laughing!), Bono's voice is a lot clearer and less raspy than on Boston, and they play some great older songs, like Out Of Control and New Years Day. And I love the Unforgettable Fire bit! Plus, it was on sale at Best Buy -- $14.99! A great deal all around, and I'd recommend it to everybody! :D

Roland of Gilead said:
Somebody has to make a CD-R of this show for my car (hhmmmmm, maybe Propaganda will release a CD like they did with Hasta)

What really would of pushed this DVD over the top would of been to include a bonus cd of the concert much like how Coldplay recently did with Live 2003.

I second that, I need this sounds in my car too.

I agree this DVD rules! Everyone in the band just acts so relaxed and has fun. I think for the next tour they should just film every show (they do that anyway right?) and then get the fans to vote for which concert to be released on DVD.

Or just release them all! :p

If they had that though, everyone would just vote for the show they were at... and how are people supposed to know if a show is good, unless they got the bootleg of course.

My DVD has a skip in Desire. I think it may be my dvd player though.

I finally got to watch it. One word: magic!

You can feel the atmosphere. It's way better than Boston...

TiaraGurl said:

Good points on this Hamish did a good job :applaud:

The quality of filming and cinematography of this DVD is much better than the Boston DVD.

The emotion is much more tangible.:up:

My favorite parts are - Bono's wailing at the end of "All I Want is You" into "Streets" track #14. Bono at his finest w Edge's eyes tearing up.

"NYD" was brilliant w/the Irish Flag.:up:

"Out of Control" and Bono's gratitude speech to the parents of the band was great.:up:

Beauiful Day and Bullet The Blue Sky were both well done.

I think the band chose to give Hamish more artistic freedom in this production than in Boston.

Arun said it best-
"The Slane DVD makes Boston Elevation DVD 'coaster material on one's coffee table'..."..halfrockstar- Nov 18 2003 Year of our Lord.
:ohmy:

diamond

diamond

I just have one question. I love the dvd and I think it's a lot better than the elevation dvd. The only question I have is why does it seem like the sound is muffled? The 5.1 sound I find is not quite as good as Elevation. Is it just my dvd or does anyone else notice that it just sounds a little muffled and that it sounds like they cut Bono's vocals on and off sometimes like when he's done singing a verse?

A very insightful review I read about the dvd:

--------------------------------------------------------

Originally shot as a personal memento by the band, "U2 Go Home" was pushed into release by the group's ardent European fans, who lobbied and clamored for its release after portions of the concert were broadcast on worldwide television as "U2's Beautiful Day." While it is a valuable addition to any U2-philes collection, the simple fact is that the video, audio and overall performance is not up to the bands usual professional standards. Casual observers who take a chance on this DVD will probably be left wondering what all the fuss is about.

Still, "U2 Go Home" does have its charms. The venue, Slane Castle outside Dublin, is as picturesque and romantic a setting as one could ask for a major rock concert, and with the death of lead singer Bono's father just a few weeks prior, there is a strong emotional bent to the whole evening. But this performance and DVD must be compared to the November, 2001 release of "Elevation 2001 - U2 Live From Boston," which was meant to be the definitive chronicle of the groups hugely successful 2001 Elevation tour.

In almost every respect, "U2 Go Home" falls short of that prior release. This was the last concert of the second leg of the tour, and in listening to the audio and watching the performance, it's clear the group needed the month-long break that would come after this show. Bono tries hard, but the intensity and performance just are not equal to the task at hand. He's noticeably less active than usual, and the whole group seems hindered by a case of road weariness. Bono forgets the words to some of the songs, and his voice is weaker than on the Boston DVD. While he's not bad, it is hard to come away from this show with an appreciation of him as one of the world's great singers, which he is.

The song list is very similar to the Boston DVD. In almost every case, the better versions of some of the group's classics like "Elevation," "Beautiful Day," "Desire," and "With or Without You" come from the Boston DVD. There are a few notable exceptions, like "Sunday Bloody Sunday," which is one of the few moments where the band's fire and intensity really picks up. There are also some nice moments in some of the songs that are different from the Boston set list. "One" is particularly good, as is "Out of Control," the group's first single from the "Boy" album.

The visuals suffer from a clear lack of preparation, probably due to the fact that this is basically a revved-up home movie. The lighting, camera placement, and editing lack the flow and energy of the Boston set, even though it is directed by Hamish Hamilton, who also did the Boston DVD. The audio is good, but a notch below the Boston DVD as well.

All in all, U2 Go Home amounts to little more than a snapshot of the band on an average night. Still, as a fan, I appreciate getting some different songs from the earlier Boston DVD. However, fans might have been better served if this was treated as an "Authorized bootleg" sold through the band's website. I'd much rather have had the earlier video releases of the Zoo TV tour and "Popmart Live from Mexico City" get the full DVD treatment.

In the end, I can recommend this DVD to fans of the group, but anyone wanting to give U2 a try for the first time should pick up the Boston DVD instead.

*** of ***** stars

----------------------------------------------------

jick said:

Originally shot as a personal memento by the band, "U2 Go Home" was pushed into release by the group's ardent European fans, who lobbied and clamored for its release after portions of the concert were broadcast on worldwide television as "U2's Beautiful Day." While it is a valuable addition to any U2-philes collection, the simple fact is that the video, audio and overall performance is not up to the bands usual professional standards. Casual observers who take a chance on this DVD will probably be left wondering what all the fuss is about.

Still, "U2 Go Home" does have its charms. The venue, Slane Castle outside Dublin, is as picturesque and romantic a setting as one could ask for a major rock concert, and with the death of lead singer Bono's father just a few weeks prior, there is a strong emotional bent to the whole evening. But this performance and DVD must be compared to the November, 2001 release of "Elevation 2001 - U2 Live From Boston," which was meant to be the definitive chronicle of the groups hugely successful 2001 Elevation tour.

In almost every respect, "U2 Go Home" falls short of that prior release. This was the last concert of the second leg of the tour, and in listening to the audio and watching the performance, it's clear the group needed the month-long break that would come after this show. Bono tries hard, but the intensity and performance just are not equal to the task at hand. He's noticeably less active than usual, and the whole group seems hindered by a case of road weariness. Bono forgets the words to some of the songs, and his voice is weaker than on the Boston DVD. While he's not bad, it is hard to come away from this show with an appreciation of him as one of the world's great singers, which he is.

The song list is very similar to the Boston DVD. In almost every case, the better versions of some of the group's classics like "Elevation," "Beautiful Day," "Desire," and "With or Without You" come from the Boston DVD. There are a few notable exceptions, like "Sunday Bloody Sunday," which is one of the few moments where the band's fire and intensity really picks up. There are also some nice moments in some of the songs that are different from the Boston set list. "One" is particularly good, as is "Out of Control," the group's first single from the "Boy" album.

The visuals suffer from a clear lack of preparation, probably due to the fact that this is basically a revved-up home movie. The lighting, camera placement, and editing lack the flow and energy of the Boston set, even though it is directed by Hamish Hamilton, who also did the Boston DVD. The audio is good, but a notch below the Boston DVD as well.

All in all, U2 Go Home amounts to little more than a snapshot of the band on an average night. Still, as a fan, I appreciate getting some different songs from the earlier Boston DVD. However, fans might have been better served if this was treated as an "Authorized bootleg" sold through the band's website. I'd much rather have had the earlier video releases of the Zoo TV tour and "Popmart Live from Mexico City" get the full DVD treatment.

In the end, I can recommend this DVD to fans of the group, but anyone wanting to give U2 a try for the first time should pick up the Boston DVD instead.

*** of ***** stars

----------------------------------------------------

:eyebrow: That's the exact opposite of what almost everyone has posted so far. I strongly disagree with the point about the band's lack of energy. I think on the Slane concert there was a lot more energy and an emotional quality that defines U2 and was somewhat lacking in Boston.

I don't know about the sound quality... I don't have a home theater anymore so I'm hearing this through the speakers of my *old* TV set.

About the visuals, the Boston DVD does look better... there was a lot more attention put to each frame it seems. But there is a bootleg quality and a spontaneity (sp?) in Slane that makes me like it a lot more.

All in all, if a non-U2 fan asked me to recommend from one of the two, I'd definitely say Slane. Just look at the crowd! :cute:

Ok, so which are the three songs shot on spincam? I kept hitting the "Angle" button and the directional arrows on my remote but nothing seems to happen. :confused:

Edited to say: Nevermind :banghead: Just read somewhere that this is a DVD ROM feature... :sigh:

Last edited:
flaming june said:

:eyebrow: That's the exact opposite of what almost everyone has posted so far. I strongly disagree with the point about the band's lack of energy. I think on the Slane concert there was a lot more energy and an emotional quality that defines U2 and was somewhat lacking in Boston.

I don't know about the sound quality... I don't have a home theater anymore so I'm hearing this through the speakers of my *old* TV set.

About the visuals, the Boston DVD does look better... there was a lot more attention put to each frame it seems. But there is a bootleg quality and a spontaneity (sp?) in Slane that makes me like it a lot more.

All in all, if a non-U2 fan asked me to recommend from one of the two, I'd definitely say Slane. Just look at the crowd! :cute:

The review seemed very well written and thought out, and it was obvious it came from a U2 fan. I will see the video within the week. Haven't seen it yet. I'll post a review when I see it.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

All in all, U2 Go Home amounts to little more than a snapshot of the band on an average night.
*** of ***** stars

:madspit: All in all I don't need this opinion.
Mine isn't even here yet and I know better. Should be here tomorrow.:applaud:

I am not going to say that I like one better than the other. :huh:

Boston has a more polished look, a more polished sound. I mean come on think of Stay or In A Little While from the Boston dvd. Awesome!! :drool:

Slane does have a more bootleg feel to it. I enjoy that, I have several vhs / dvd bootlegs from the Elevation tour. So it is great to have one that is better quality than your average audience shot bootleg. Out of Control, Kite, AIWIY, SBS and of course MW all stand out on Slane. :bow:

Oh and just because there are not a lot of audience shots or a lot of audience noise on the Boston dvd does not mean they were not getting in to it.

this is their best video after Sydney Zoo Tv , the band is there doing 200% , audience is a 12th player with 3000% , the video shots were good , i don't want any of those clear 3d supernova images if they look tired , with no live in it ( certain parts of boston shows were ruined , tickets were overthetop price , they decided to chose people for the heart of the 2nd gig , and they filmed 2 , so it looked like a bad compilation to me , while 1st and 2nd shows were awful , 3rd and 4th were fantastic , go figure , the set-list was great , band was relaxed , like on that Slane show ) .

To any who read the "insightful review" and are still waiting to see the dvd, read what us interference fans have written! They are much more in touch with this great release instead of that crap review!

I found myself disagreeing with quite a lot of this "insightful review":

Bono tries hard, but the intensity and performance just are not equal to the task at hand. He's noticeably less active than usual, and the whole group seems hindered by a case of road weariness. Bono forgets the words to some of the songs, and his voice is weaker than on the Boston DVD.

The last line is total bs. Weaker than Boston? Are you sure you're watching the same dvd?? The thing that struck me was how much stronger Bono's voice was for this show - New Years Day, Out Of Control, Kite, All I Want Is You - even Angel of Harlem he's hitting high notes and belting them out without nearly so much strain as was obvious on the Boston show.

In almost every case, the better versions of some of the group's classics like "Elevation," "Beautiful Day," "Desire," and "With or Without You" come from the Boston DVD.

I might agree with Desire and Elevation being slightly better on the Boston show, but probably more because of the intimacy afforded by an arena venue. I think Beautiful Day is stronger, partly because of Bono's voice and partly because the camera work shows the impact of the lighting changes better. With Or Without You is just FAR better at Slane than at Boston, and I just don't see how one could disagree.

Most of this is just minor gripes, but imho the camera work and editing for Slane better captures the scope of a U2 concert than Boston

I'd much rather have had the earlier video releases of the Zoo TV tour and "Popmart Live from Mexico City" get the full DVD treatment.

This I actually whole-heartedly agree with. As much as I love the Slane show, I'd much rather have seen their past concert videos get put onto DVD before this one.

Well, all those critics... They'll always find something to complain of.

Personally, this DVD shows us what U2 really is: a band amidst it fans, giving us everything they have, with lots of enthusiasm.

When I watch it, I always consider myself as part of the audience at that very show. If I would have been there, I would have found this a magic experience. They're giving the fans back what's really worth their "hard earned cash", to quote Bono.

Name me one group that's closer to their audience than U2 during the Elevation tour? I saw the Stones two months ago. Brilliant music, (Sympathy for the devil, Gimme Shelter & Paint it Black were awesome) I'm glad to have seen them before they die, magic sound, but they were so far away from their audience and didn't re-invent themselves. It was the same show they did twenty years ago.

U2 are still able to adapt themselves to their audience and give the people what they want: a band, showing 100% commitment. That's why I like this band so much.

I saw U2 in Antwerp during the Elevation Tour. That was a magic experience. Their songs and their performance can really give so much to the fans. Releasing this DVD enables the fans to re-live those experiences.

What band could perform a single from their first album (Out of Control) with such an energy? Who could bring more emotion into a show like Bono singing Wake up dead man? Even a song like Sunday Bloody Sunday gave me a magic feeling, especially when Bono walked around the heart sending his peaceful messages to the crowd. Who could resist the enthusiasm shown in Angel of Harlem? Streets? UTEOTW?

So, let's be serious: Slane Castle was a great show, perhaps one of their best, produced in a great way. Way better than Boston.

Keep on making that kind of shows, and the world will be a better place. Don't complain about all those critics.

I paid another $10 on my lay-by yesterday :hyper:
People have opinions, their perogative. All my U2 collection, records, CD's, videos, books, magazines and now DVD's :faint: are precious to me.(I recall when colour TV was invented, I don't take anything for granted and have a slight inkling of what goes on behind the scenes in a band...U2 are a phenomenon!..imho)
I am really looking forward to seeing this...another special O'Cassion coming up.

Oh ..it's so exciting....U2 U2 U2 U2 U2.wooohooooooooo:dance::happy:

Okay so I just bought the dvd this afternoon and I managed to ge to WUDM so far. Here is my take:

Elevation was awesome and to see the crowds reaction when U2 took the stage was amazing, not only that but you also get to see the bands reaction.

BD simply amazing, I thought I wouldnt like it after hearing it on the radio over and over but that live version was great to see and again band and crowd were the focal point instead of it being just the band.

UTTEOTW THE BEST FIGHT EVER!!! Awesome to see Larry going all at on the drums

NYD was very cool to see Adam's reaction when he starts the bass line bc he knows the reaction that crowd will give. It was awesome to see Bono wrap the tricolor around him and saying "Just once"

OOC was great to have Bono give the first single speech and to see each members reaction to when he intros them to the crowd.

SBS very emotional and strong. The part where he is reading the bombing victims names really got to me. I thought it was amazing for them to acknowledge that.

thats as far as I got will be back with the rest of my review tommorrow afternoon :wink:

i think all the comparisons to the elevation dvd need to take the price into account.

If you don't waste money on packaging, the new dvd is just over a third of the price of the boston dvd .. if i order it from amazon.ca anyway. that's a pretty good deal, i think.

adamswildhoney said:

BD simply amazing, I thought I wouldnt like it after hearing it on the radio over and over but that live version was great to see and again band and crowd were the focal point instead of it being just the band.

UTTEOTW THE BEST FIGHT EVER!!! Awesome to see Larry going all at on the drums

YAY So glad you got it! :applaud:

I totally agree with you, esp on the above 2 comments! :drool:

I'm gonna finish my review too tonight so we can compare notes :sexywink: There are some amazing moments in the 2nd half.

Someone said earlier in this thread how this show is unique b/c it starts out VERY STRONG ,and most shows had to build up to get to that strength. I'd have to totally agree with that statement. :up:

WUDM the best version of the song I have heard ever, I love the way Bono was just sitting on the edge od the stage singing the song. Very Beautiful!

SIAMYCGOO I love this song again bc of this performance. I had grown sick of it bc it was played on the radio so much but this version was great and Bono was able to hit the high parts of the song well.

KITE I love the "Madison Ave story" about Edge's Da and Bono's Da walking down it being pissed as farts :lol: I love the "A Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" part tooo. Very emotional song.

AOH I love the electric version of this song soo much and it was awesome to see the whole band perform it. I especially loved when Bono was counting Larry into the song.

DESIRE Great live version of this song with crowd. It must have been so awesome to hear 80,000 people singing "Desssirrree" at the top of their lungs. I liked Larry's little trick of releasing his drumstick at the very end. It was funny to see Bono playing with the beach ball.

SATS I love this song and it always sound amazing to me and I love the way Bono covered Edge's eyes at the end.

more to come!!

Back
Top Bottom