U2 Go Home Is Awesome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just saw MW about 6 times in a row, it is truly precious. I love it!
I am so happy they included this!
I have to agree there are too many wonderful moments in this dvd, but Wake Up Dead Man is so intense, just beautiful.
I dont know if I will ever go to sleep tonite, I can't stop replaying this dvd! I also agree it is much better than Boston dvd, the emotion is just so on at Slane!
Thanks U2! :up:

*Sigh*

Just reading the reviews about this DVD makes me even more interested.

That being said...I have seen some of the performances in that Classic In Concert thing on VH1 Classic that they showed last night and the MTV2 thing they showed tonight...and from what I saw, it looks really cool (they showed the "Bullet The Blue Sky" performance on the MTV2 one tonight...KICKASS! I loved that! I also liked the "Angel Of Harlem" performance from the VH1 Classic thing they'd showed last night-I've never heard a live version of that song until last night, and it was really good, and I liked the "Kite" one as well...even though the "Kite" performance made me cry :sad: :().

Angela

Re: *SPOILER*

oliveu2cm said:
**SPOILER**

Sort of a spoiler, I mean most of us know what happens at a U2 show anyway. But here's some highlights I've picked out, and this is only up until and including Kite.

My notes thus far. This is the Show Where Bono Screams. All the time. I can't seem to get through the show w/o constantly stopping to catch my breath. I'm freaking out how amazing it is.

* while they are getting on stage Bono grabs the mic, etc, does his kneeling thing, then lets out two MASSIVE SCREAMS. I don't know if all these screams were caught on the bootleg that we have, b/c I don't remember them as much as I see them here. Maybe it's b/c it's an outdoor show; maybe it's everything. Whatever it is, I am loving it.

80,000 People at a concert: YES/YES! WOW :heart: AWE

The castle is stunning in the background. It totally IS the background though, like U2 give it life and meaning, and without them it's only an old building. Together, it's perfection.

I love seeing the look on the faces of girls who are 100% blissed out. Yes/Yes!

At the end of Elevation he gives about 10 "Jubilations" then onto the "Beautiful Goal"

BD "found a friend" That moment I saw Bono not as the rock star but as Bono. He was there. Nice sighting. Edge sounds really great vocally!! Bono at the "what you don't have you don't need it now, Beautiful Day" he sings that in almost a cry of sadness. This won't be the first time I'll catch this voice.

UTEOTW Really hot laugh before he goes into his Judas personality. The look on the fans faces are amazing and they all say the same thing: "I just want to get closer!" At the girl part he doens't ever touch her, just sings very close down to someone's face and then gives wicked mock biting gestures, over and over and over. :kiss: WOW. "Drowning my sorrows" for a few lines here we hear his sadness again, seeping through. He beckons Edge and then damn, the next thing you know he's at the tip and IN the crowd for a while, like threw himself on their hands. Edge and Bono do a FIERCE head-to-head (instigated by B). Larry meanwhile is a maniac at the drumset. Unbelievable. At the end of Until, Edge runs back and Bono's on the ground, totally panting and his shut etc.

NYD again a tinge of sorrow in the YELL that starts off NYD. Then we get this really really awesome moment (go Ned!) where B takes off his sunglasses and we see him looking at and greeting the crowd with his bare self. Really cool moment. We get the gorgeous bridge of the scream during NYD at "we can be oneeeeeee..aaaaaaaah". Then again, the yells. They are all amazing. Totally using his voice. Plays with the crowd before the flag stint. Someone throws a massive flag onstage. He gets this cute look on his face, and seems to point to one side, then the other as if asking playfully which side to go to. Hard to see b/c they keep cutting way. Then he wraps the flag around him and does the bit about "close your eyes and imagine, Jason Macdeal" footy player or whoever and then he smiles BIG. SO Cute. Goes to main stage and stays very playful/good humored even when someone throws toilet paper (??) at him and it gets on his head. Larry looks aggravated haha.

OOC MORE Screams!! "1st single" speech- yah! Holy :censored: is this song amazing. I can't sit still watching it!!! At Adam's intro, Adam grins HUGE sooo darling and then Larry too he grins even as he grunts and grimaces and BANGS away at those instruments. The intros are like "LMJ from Malahide" and so, LMFAO his intro of Edge: "this is edge, I dunno where we got him." :lmao: Then the bit about the $500 from his dad and larrys dad, etc. rocking back and forth telling story, about wanting to get a band and a record deal. On the "This is our TRIBE" bit they show the entire crowd rather than just Bono which sorta sucks b/c I wanted to see him, but it's cool to see the thousands of people. Can see his outline on the big screen, I guess. Then he says the whole "thank every one of you for $500, too." -- and that before always sounded to me like he was sort of joking, that people had each spent $500 on them, but here it came across as incredibly sincere and humble. At the end he seriously (i swear) sang "my blah blah got big ideas" hehehe. Another hollar near the end of OOC.

Bang into SBS. Edge and Adam walk closer to the edge of the stage at this point. I see this as giving Bono and the fans strength during this song. They know it's going to be emotional and provocative. 2 Usual screams as the song begins. His voice sounds very very good, hitting everythig. People are just all the time going nuts. This is the "put your hands in the air" version. He is So serious and strong during this transgression! Very different than I ever witnessed. Has the entire crowd with him, cool shots of everyone's hands flapping in the wind. Then he reads the names of the Omagh victims.. music ends and he's still reading (paper's on the stage) and he's fierce, and pointing to the ground after each name, sad, sorrowful.

WUDM next. Was a song edited out before this? Anyway, WUDM is in one word Brilliant. Just Brilliant. Simple, no lighting besides white so it appears black and white (although I know the film isn't b/c I can see his grayishblue eyes). There's steam from his body rising into the cool night air, spit and sweat flinging from him, he's sitting down at the edge of the stage singing, truly singing this piece. Really special.

Stuck He does a cool spin to get up from the sitting position, throw off that WUDM emotion (imo) and get into Stuck. Spin of fury I'd call it. Says something like "love song soul" (?) At this point I thought Stuck could do w/ being taken out of the setlist (as if the shows are still going on haha). But I had a revelation that negated that coming up. During Stuck he leans on Adam for a long time, at least 7 seconds of singing. wow. Edge's harmony (imo) was too high. I wrote "it's like fat free ice cream compared to fattening ice cream." :angel: "if the day won't last" was a great moment b/c he's on the wing of the heart and Edge is on stage and Bono reaches to Edge, extending his hand and he holds it there for a few lines. Great moment, you could see it was just them.

B: "nice singing the edge" (hehe woops) and then he tells the story about his dad and edge's dad walking down Madison Ave pissed as farts. Gives Edge a beautiful smile, one someone has captured a pic of from another show I'll try to find it. Very genuine. Brothers.

Then immediately "this is Kite this is for Bob Hewson" without no pretense, no nonsense. He called it like it is in this one. Then he launches into what is the very best Kite I've ever seen and ever heard. I mean, wow. Wow. This is where I realize, if he hadn't sung "Stuck" right before Kite and went into Kite w/ all his fears and emotions, i really don't think he'd recover. Stuck is like a memory now and he knows "it's just a moment" while he sings Kite, but if he didn't have that preempt I don't think he'd be able to get out of the heaviness or grief in Kite. This version of Kite is absolutely beautiful/beautiful/beautiful. I was incredibly moved. The "I'm a maaaan" was just :ohmy: wow. spilled his guts on the stage right at our feet. Do I see tears in his eyes? hard to tell. He smiles and I see an angel smile. says the "communication. communication" bit, finishes the song ("last of the opera stars") and then "talk to each other".

-- That's as far as I am now. :)

GAH Carrie your description is really making me want this dvd right now. but I must wait until at least this weekend to get it :wink:

The DVD is great, way better than Boston, and shows that we need stadiums rather than smaller arena shows. :D

I can't stop watching it. Beautiful Day, which I'm pretty sick of as a song, is awsome! The show just rocks.

best thing about this dvd is it's imperfections... in past concert releases... if they screwed something up, or if some guy put a light in me face with that red, fire fly, whatever you plain' with there... they'd edit it out from the commercial release. here, they kept it all in... bono getting hit with toilet paper, the edge getting hit in the ass with a beach ball, bono crackin' up mid song... great great great great great

another favorite moment would be bono, in the driest of voices... "oh look edge... a beach ball"

Brilliant DVD, I was @ the 25/8/01 show, a week before the recorded one, so I've seen both in a way, haha! :wink:

This was definetly the right one to record though, as the booklet says, this show was more of a celebration, in contrast to the 25/8/01 show.

Amazing. Love the way they're all so smiley, Bono counting Larry in, half way though Angel of Harlem, etc.

Oh, and this is SO shallow, and uncalled for ... but how hot is Bono on this DVD? :drool:

What does Bono say at the beginning of Until The End of the World? Its much longer and different than the "Jesus, this is Judas" line from Boston. I tried turning on the closed captioning for some help but had no luck, so now I turn to you guys.

The DVD is awesome!

An awesome dvd, and I second Headache's mention of the imperfections making it better. My favorite is when someone douses Bono with water during All I Want Is You, and Bono turns around, smiles, and says in a mock-threat "All I want is fucking you, man." Classic. :up:

I still don't understand why the made Mysterious Ways a bonus track. Just give us the whole unedited concert!

Diemen said:
An awesome dvd, and I second Headache's mention of the imperfections making it better. My favorite is when someone douses Bono with water during All I Want Is You, and Bono turns around, smiles, and says in a mock-threat "All I want is fucking you, man." Classic. :up:

Hahhhaaa I love this part!:yes:
When I saw this in the theatre Monday night this part got the loudest applause, everyone was cracking up!

OH MY GOD!!! This DVD is unbelievable. Hands down the best live show i've seen. I bought it yesterday morning and FINALLY got to watch it last night. I only got up to Kite because I kept going back to watch the songs over and over again. Mysterious Ways with "little" Eve is great. I LOVE his little speech during Out of Control. But my favorite part so far is the UTEOTW and NYD combo. I realized how much I missed NYD from the Boston DVD. You could tell that Bono was having a lot of fun with the crowd during that song. I bought the Coldplay DVD last week and it comes nothing close to Slane. Looks like I won't be watching that DVD until I get over Slane (which won't be for a while)

U2One said:
But my favorite part so far is the UTEOTW and NYD combo. I realized how much I missed NYD from the Boston DVD. You could tell that Bono was having a lot of fun with the crowd during that song.

Oh, I agree. :up: NYD was definitely one of the highlights of the show. Such a great performance.

Another favorite funny moment. During Angel of Harlem (before Larry and Adam come in), someone throws a hat onstage and it almost lands right on Edge's head. Bono looks at Edge and both laugh, then Bono says "he's got a few of those." :D

Headache in a Suitcase said:
best thing about this dvd is it's imperfections... in past concert releases... if they screwed something up, or if some guy put a light in me face with that red, fire fly, whatever you plain' with there... they'd edit it out from the commercial release. here, they kept it all in... bono getting hit with toilet paper, the edge getting hit in the ass with a beach ball, bono crackin' up mid song... great great great great great

another favorite moment would be bono, in the driest of voices... "oh look edge... a beach ball"
Aside from it being just an incredible show in general, that's one of the best things about it. You get everything,...it's like a REALLY well-taped bootleg show!

The beach ball is great. I dragged my brother in from the other room to show him that part. :regect:

Kite almost made me cry.

I keep watching the crowd and thinking about how I CAN'T WAIT to be in that setting again, surrounded by thousands of people carried away by the music, jumping, singing, screaming...I just can't wait.

:heart: U2 :heart:

Schmeg said:
Kite almost made me cry.

It's a very moving performance...when I saw it, and Bono was repeating "Goodbye", after the last one, it sounded like his voice was cracking slightly. I felt so bad for him.

Originally posted by Schmeg
I keep watching the crowd and thinking about how I CAN'T WAIT to be in that setting again, surrounded by thousands of people carried away by the music, jumping, singing, screaming...I just can't wait.

I want to be a part of that kind of excitement, too. I can't wait until U2 tours for their next album. I want to see them soooo badly.

Geez, when I watch my Slane show from CBS, and see these little preview things of the concert...that crowd never fails to amaze me. I just cannot believe how many people were there! It looks like the sea of bodies just never ends!

Angela

Schmeg said:

Kite almost made me cry.

:heart: U2 :heart:

Echo that feeling for sure!

After I watched it the first time I felt like I had actually been at the show. I cant really say anything more about it that hasnt already been said but in simple terms...I :censored: love it!

Kite is what stood out in my mind for so many reasons. The emotion that was there in his eyes almost did me in.

MW w/Eve...how adorable is that?

I don't know why they even released the Boston DVD, when they could've just released this instead. At Boston, the band, especially Bono, just weren't having a good night. Bono was sick (obviously...his voice cracks almost every line he sings), and Edge got pissed off at the end of Gone.

At Slane, however, not only is Bono's voice in great form, but the band seem MORE relaxed, despite there being 80,000 people there. The crowd were so into it, and the band and the crowd just kept feeding each other. It's great. My highlight is Kite, also. Bono's voice is absolutely flawless on that song, and you can just hear the emotion in what he's singing. In SBS, when he recites the names, is another great moment. Oh hell.....I love it all. I hope that U2 plays in larger venues next tour, because that looked a lot better atmosphere than the inside in a concrete box. I'm all for a stadium tour now.

agreed that it is WAY better than boston...
boston is still a top gig...i have recently listened to the 5/6 & 6/6 boston shows and they both seem very diffrent to all the other elevation gigs i've listened too, bono is a little sick yes, but the first two boston gigs seem diffrent to many other elevation shows :eyebrow: i've confused myself a little here.....

even the guy on the boston documentry said that it would feel diffrrent to the band, and they were proberbley under a lot of pressure to get everything right to be filmed......so maybe they were a little unprepared for the diffrent set up for the boston shows....

heres to a useless post...i think i should go to bed

They had no way of knowing that Slane was going to be this good and releasing Boston was already in motion. I rented Boston but now I don't really see any need to get it although since I'ma freak I may get it at somepoint anyway. :reject:

The_acrobat said:
I don't know why they even released the Boston DVD, when they could've just released this instead. At Boston, the band, especially Bono, just weren't having a good night. Bono was sick (obviously...his voice cracks almost every line he sings), and Edge got pissed off at the end of Gone.

He was recovering and coming off an amazing series of shows from Hartford & Albany. I think Boston perfectly captures what Elevation was about, in arenas, in the US (where I saw them at least).

The "Gone" shown on the DVD is actually from Boston 1 (or was it Boston 4 :scratch: ) whereas the rest of the show is mostly from Boston 2. So he doesn't flip out on the same night most of the show was taped.

Anyway I find it hard to compare these two shows (although if I had to I'd without hesitation say Slane is the best show they did during Elevation). Slane is so emotional, for so many HUGE reasons. They are in their city, playing at this Castle where they opened 20 years ago, they are playing TWO gigs there, also! And Bono's father had recently passed away. It's just massive emotions on all front. You throw 80,000 people in there and you are definitely going to get a different show than Boston, and a better show than any other Elevation. His voice was spot-on at Slane, but it doesn't make me think less of Boston, but shows me more of the beauty and power they can make happen with hurdles.

I also think Slane was better directed. For instance in Streets at Boston, you barely see the crowd. That's the most amazing part of the entire show! The lights up and everyone going bananas! They keep the camera mainly on Bono and the crowd is peripheral. At Slane they let the crowd BE the focal point during Streets- which is indicative of every Streets perfromance. Things like that make it a better and more real show for TV viewers.

:wave: Olive (who was at Boston and has a soft spot for it :tongue: )

:D hehe respect to the people who started the petition to get this baby released!! Rafo u bugger fair play to ya, and howdy! HAve u seen me?? 53 minutes and 15 seconds in, behind Bono just left of the beach ball, with the really cheesy smile, thats ME!;) Best show I've ever been to. Even my non-U2 fan mates who went with were absolutely blown away by the sheer emotion and spectacle of it all, such a crackin show! And they captured it very well on the DVD, u can almost just watch the crowd and be entertained for 2 hours! GO SLAAAAANE!:drool:

Oh and another BIG factor in that being so brilliant and the crowd being unbelievably up for it was the fact Ireland beat Holland 1-0 to qualify for the world cup that day. And it was shown on the big screen. And after the goal the rest of the day was absolute perfection, everybody as happy and elated as can be. U2 on top top form helped too:wink:

So far I?ve only seen Slane once. Great concert! How about this idea? A kind of Rattle & Hum-like compilation of Boston and Slane DVD. Like R&H ? it could start off with songs in an arena setting and then with Streets break into a stadium-like setting. The build up and transition could be fun.

1. Elevation
2. Beautiful Day
3. Until the End of the World
4. The Fly
5. New York
6. Gone
7. Bullet the Blue Sky
8. I Will Follow
9. In a Little While
10. Stay
11. With or Without You
12. Bad ? Bono recites Psalm 116 and then it blends into Streets from Slane
13. Where the Streets Have No Name (SLANE)
14. New Year's Day (SLANE)
15. Pride (In The Name Of Love) (SLANE)
16. Sunday Bloody Sunday (SLANE)
17. Wake Up Dead Man (SLANE)
18. Kite (SLANE)
19. Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of (SLANE)
20. One (SLANE)
21. Out Of Control (SLANE)
22. Mysterious Ways (SLANE)
23. Angel Of Harlem (SLANE)
24. Staring At The Sun (SLANE)
25. Desire (SLANE)
26. All I Want Is You (SLANE)
27. Walk On (SLANE)

I?m thinking that putting The Fly and Bullet earlier could be enjoyable. I like the idea of concert being more ?aggressive? at the beginning. Maybe this track list could provide more of a ?747 taking off? type of start to the concert. I find that Stuck coming after UTEOTW kind of took too much air out of the balloon too early on.

lazyboy said:
Oh and another BIG factor in that being so brilliant and the crowd being unbelievably up for it was the fact Ireland beat Holland 1-0 to qualify for the world cup that day. And it was shown on the big screen. And after the goal the rest of the day was absolute perfection, everybody as happy and elated as can be. U2 on top top form helped too:wink:

Yah, exactly!! That must have been so amazing! And then to have Bono reference that Goal several times during the show.. wow :drool:

This one makes me not want to watch Boston anymore. As others have said, the direction is sooo much better as is the editing. The editing on the Boston dvd makes me psychotic.

great dvd. actually a true masterpiece up until kite. usually the second part of these shows takes you slightly higher than the first part. for some reason with this show its the other way around. the band is in standout form on tracks like bd, nyd, wudm, stuck and kite. from aoh on its slightly more of a 'normal' u2 concert. as for the bands performance that is. i must add that the video shoot, sound (his voice!) and crowd remain on the highest of levels.

Still eagerly waiting to see the dvd!!!!! I bought it tuesday and I can only watch it tomorrow evening :-((((

I just regret that they didn't play the fly and a sort of homecoming that night.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the show...

Ahhh!! I am going to get on Saturday. Reading all this is torturous!

I can't wait!

This had better be good, I have extremely high expectations now....

Back
Top Bottom