U2 getting Mad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hornbag

The Fly
Does anyone have any pics or stories of when the band got mad at shows? All I can think of is Edge throwing his guitar after "Gone" in Boston.

Bono yelling at security to get off the stage

11-12-92 Las Vegas, right after Ultraviolet

"Security off the stage, never get on a U2 stage - off the stage, man, this is my stage! This guy belongs on it, you don't"

Classic moment
~A.j.~

Last edited:
I think there is a story during Zoo TV when during Pride, Larry played something wrong on the drums and Bono threw the microphone at him.

And there is the early days where, again, Larry played something wrong and nervously walked offstage, with Bono following him as he was mad, trying to punch him. Edge prevented him and they continued the show.

"Edge tried to knock me out a few times. The headbutt is my specialty." Bono, when asked if U2 ever fights on stage

Bono on The Edge from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year I think:

Second Kodak moment: I think it's 1982, New Haven, I believe. Things
are not going very well. There's a punk rock band onstage trying to
play Bach. A fight breaks out. It's between the band. It's very, very
messy. Now you look at this guitar genius. You look at this Zen-like
master that is The Edge, and you hear those brittle, icy notes. And
you might be forgiven for not realizing that you cannot play like that
unless you have a rage inside you. In fact, I had forgotten that on
that particular night, and he tried to break my nose. I learnt a very
great lesson: do not pick a fight with somebody who, for a living,
lives off hand-to-eye coordination. Dangerous, dangerous man, The
Edge.

Save The Yuppies Concert 11/11/1987.

Bono gets mad at a person waving a flag saying SF and U2.
Obvioulsy SF stands for San Francisco, not Sinn Fein. Bono doesn't get that so he goes on and on about "the revolution" and the glory to kill for the revolution, as seen repeated in the Rattle and Hum movie. (The "Fuck The Revolution" speech)
Enjoy! :eyebrow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lYMW0dEULQ

I read on here somewhere where Bono got pissed at someone talking on their cell phone during a Vertigo concert last year. There's also the very filmed situation where Bono went off on Rattle and Hum during a JT tour concert filmed right after a bomb killed some people in Ireland.

Blowups amongst band members are not all that uncommon but they can be embarassing. Much like pro sports teams, it's much better to confine arguments to off the field/stage.

Opening night of PopMart, Vegas. (My first U2 show.) The band screws up the intro to "Staring at the Sun," and Bono has to stop everyone and they start-over. The bandmembers are arguing with each other, off-mic. Bono finally turns to the mic and says something like, "sorry, we're having a family row. It's the first night."

cypress said:
I read on here somewhere where Bono got pissed at someone talking on their cell phone during a Vertigo concert last year. . .

Is was NYC 10/8/05. I think the guy who Bono was yelling at posted here saying he was only taking a picture with his phone; regardless here is the audio of it:
http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=908A23B83B6F46E0

LyricalDrug said:
Opening night of PopMart, Vegas. (My first U2 show.) The band screws up the intro to "Staring at the Sun," and Bono has to stop everyone and they start-over. The bandmembers are arguing with each other, off-mic. Bono finally turns to the mic and says something like, "sorry, we're having a family row. It's the first night."

I heard it as him saying something like, ‘it’s ok you just talk amongst yourselves, we’re just having a little fumbling around’, but what you heard makes sense too, not to mention you where there so you’re probably more right than me. For anyone else who wants to hear here’s a link: http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=2617C0B33BBF0999

pattip2000 said:
Is was NYC 10/8/05. I think the guy who Bono was yelling at posted here saying he was only taking a picture with his phone; regardless here is the audio of it:
http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=908A23B83B6F46E0
Bono: "Hi mom, I'm in the middle of Sunday Bloody Sunday! It's really going off here at the garden!"
Is it bad that the way Bono said that amused me? :reject:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Bono: "Hi mom, I'm in the middle of Sunday Bloody Sunday! It's really going off here at the garden!"
Is it bad that the way Bono said that amused me? :reject:

:giggle: :no:

bonohissyfit.gif

U2granny made this not me so I hope she forgives me for posting it

I took this one at Oakland last year.. Bono got pissed because someone was throwing bottled water at him :uhoh: :laugh:

bonopissed.jpg

bono_212 said:
bonohissyfit.gif

U2granny made this not me so I hope she forgives me for posting it

this is from the alternate "When Love Comes To Town" video. i wonder if it's the same event as what cypress said about B getting pissed after an Irish attack...:hmm:

the band used to get really pissed at Bono during and after concerts in the early days when he would climb up on scaffolding during shows. i believe the time that Edge almost (or did) punch Bono was after he nearly fell. they were pissed another time during the War Tour when he climbed the scaffolding & he threw his white flag from the top of the platform down into the crowd---and nearly impaled a few people!

Bono ripped into a guy wielding a "SF" sign back in the days of R&H, thinking it meant Sinn Feinn (sp?), totally oblivious to the fact he was in San Francisco.

Has U2 played SF since? Hahaha, Bono used to be such a tosser...

LyricalDrug said:

I was there too! I wasn't close enough to make out what they were saying, but I do remember them admitting they screwed up and had to restart the song (out there on the catwalk or whatever you call it).

And I do remember Bono climbing the stage on the War tour (loge level I think - at the Sports Arena, Los Angeles), but I don't recall him throwing down the white flag or pissing anyone off.

cypress said:
I read on here somewhere where Bono got pissed at someone talking on their cell phone during a Vertigo concert last year. There's also the very filmed situation where Bono went off on Rattle and Hum during a JT tour concert filmed right after a bomb killed some people in Ireland.

Blowups amongst band members are not all that uncommon but they can be embarassing. Much like pro sports teams, it's much better to confine arguments to off the field/stage.

Sunday Bloody Sunday! One of the finest performances of the song the day after the Eneskilin (sp) bombings. Bono and Edge at their best!

Slightly unconnected however are stories of Eric Clapton doing a gig whilst lying down because he was too pissed to stand!

Bono it seemed to have gotten pissed off a number of times when the other guys in the band would screw up - especially Larry. I have a DVD boot from a Zoo TV show where they were playing full band Angel of Harlem on the main stage and Larry totally missed his intro and Bono turned from the audience and counted REALLY LOUDLY 1-2-3-4 so Larry would catch up and kick in with the rest of the band - I can't for the life of remember what show it was, where it was and all of the other particulars that I'll get burned for not knowing in later posts.

Another incident that comes to mind is on another commercially released DVD that the guys were playing on a B Stage and once again Larry kinda screwed up his intro and when he finally got started he was way off and Bono turned and glared at him and porpusely slowed the song down to much Larry's drumming.

I've been to many U2 shows and have also heard stories like these and I have to laugh because isn't it Bono know that screws up more than anyone else in the band? He can't seem to ever remember his lyrics at all.

This past tour when I saw them at the Meadowlands, Bono at the last second changed the set list and decided to play OOTS before Yahweh - he told every one except Edge who by that time had his accoustic guitar strapped on and was starting to play. Bono walked over to him and said something to him and then hugged him - that was really cool.

Last October at one of the Boston shows the guys decided to play Crumbs and Edge was way off from the rest of the Band but there again B-man didn't get mad just apologized after the song for technical problems.

There's a few ones that I know of...

During the UF show in Glasgow, a male fan some how manages to get out of the 'pit' and Bono throws him back in there (well security helps) and he says "And may that be a lesson to you young man, get back in there and don't come out again"

Then in Tokyo, during Lovetown, there is a guy who is causing a scene, Bono says something along the lines "I don't care who you are, you do not act like that man" and he proceeds to keep bothering Bono and he says "One more out of him and he's out of here"

JT Tour in oakland

bono is going on about something politcally related and stops in the middle of it and screams out "will you shut the fuck up while im talking" or something like that at a fan in front of the stage who was having his own conversation.

david said:

what is that from?

It's from the alternate version of the When Love Comes To Town video. I'm not sure what show it was filmed at, but it's clearly from R&H footage.

There was also the Springhill Mining Disaster performance where Bono yelled at people whistling in the audience. "We're not the fucking Beatles!"
YBORCITYOBL said:
Last October at one of the Boston shows the guys decided to play Crumbs and Edge was way off from the rest of the Band but there again B-man didn't get mad just apologized after the song for technical problems.
Last May in Boston they added a bunch of songs to the set list at the last possible moment (or even after, in the case of Out Of Control...). Originial of the Species was thrown in and Edge fumbled a few notes on the keyboard, so Bono added, "I'm sorry, The Edge, I didn't warn you!" to the song. :giggle: Boston's a good spot for things like that.

Schmeg said:
There was also the Springhill Mining Disaster performance where Bono yelled at people whistling in the audience. "We're not the fucking Beatles!"

I was there. That was at the Rosemont Horizon in Chicago during Joshua Tree tour. U2 was really gaining pupularity fast at that point. It sounded like a Beatles concert. That was when young noisy kids went to concerts. Now, its quiet middle aged people.

CKONE said:

Slightly unconnected however are stories of Eric Clapton doing a gig whilst lying down because he was too pissed to stand!

:lmao: man i hate eric clapton!

Back
Top Bottom