U2 Gets Oscar Nom.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramblin rose

Site Team
Staff member
Hooray, although it seems the competition is a little more stiff here:

Burn It Blue from FRIDA (Miramax)
Music by Elliot Goldenthal
Lyric by Julie Taymor
Father and Daughter from THE WILD THORNBERRYS MOVIE (Paramount and Nickelodeon Movies)
Music and Lyric by Paul Simon
The Hands That Built America from GANGS OF NEW YORK (Miramax)
Music and Lyric by Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen
I Move On from CHICAGO (Miramax)
Music by John Kander
Lyric by Fred Ebb
Lose Yourself from 8 MILE (Universal)
Music by Eminem, Jeff Bass and Luis Resto
Lyric by Eminem

well, I think its only a clip of the song but the song none the less.

If I recall, the thornberries song and Lose Yourself were up against the band for the Golden Globe -- and lost.

I just saw they got the nomination a few minutes ago :) I'd say it's a good chance they'll win.. it's hard to say what the biggest contender is though.

Nominated songs on Oscar night are performed live!!

So U2 should be there to perform which would be so awesome!

I hope they win!!

However, one should not compare the Globes to Oscars. There are sometimes many differences in who wins between the two. Just because they won at the Globes doesn't mean they have it in the bag!

Plus, they are up against a new "Chicago" song which they weren't in The Globe race!

:yes:

I think the only competition U2 has for the Oscar is the song from Chicago. The Academy seems to be absolutely in love with that movie. It got 13 nominations! Of course Gangs of New York got a ton of nominations too, and U2 did win the Golden Globe, so...

Bono's shades said:
I think the only competition U2 has for the Oscar is the song from Chicago. The Academy seems to be absolutely in love with that movie. It got 13 nominations! Of course Gangs of New York got a ton of nominations too, and U2 did win the Golden Globe, so...

I agree about Chicago being the competition. My thought is that those who vote for Chicago as best picture may also do so for the song since it was a musical. The Globes are a good indication of who will most likely win but you never know about the Academy. I think they stand a good chance though. *crossing fingers*

I was peeved to see the Chicago song nominated. I didn't realize there were any songs specifically writeen for the movie, so I didn't figure the movie would have any nominations for best song.

If it wasn't for Chicago, I'd say the biggest competition was Eminem, but Eminem has about as much of a chance as the South Park guys did a few years back, which is to say: not much of a chance, because of the voters.

However, last year they gave it to Randy Newman after years of being nominated and never winning. Maybe they'll feel the same about Paul Simon this year (even though this is his first nomination, believe it or not).

My hope is that the voters will give everything else under the sun to Chicago and make room for U2 for best song. As much as I think Chicago rocks, that song certainly isn't one of the ones I've been singing for the past month.

Yeah, the Chicago nom is scary. That movie is an awards juggernaut. I saw Chicago, and I am not sure which song that is? Anyway, I hope they perform the song full band, but it will probably be just Bono and Edge. Just a note: Miramax (in particular Harvey Weinstein) is notorious for being the best at "lobbying" for their movies that are nominated. "Chicago" and "Gangs" are both Miramax movies. My gut is that Miramax will lobby harder for U2...we'll see.

Last edited:
I think it's March 23rd.

Ulraviolet-
You could be right about Mirimax lobbying more for U2. With all of the noms for Chicago I think the focus will be on best picture, actress etc. I think they will be pushing Gangs for director and actor in addition to U2. Weinstein is pretty fierce with the promotion so I wonder if he will push to have the guys do a few appearances between now and then.

That is so great that they're nominated. "Hands" is such a beautiful song and I really hope they win. And it's going to be really cool to see them perform.

I'm nervous about that "Chicago" song, too. That movie has so much hype around it and they say its going to bring back the musicals, and maybe the Academy may want to honor that by giving the award to that movie. But then again, "Chicago" is a take-off a Broadway musical, right? So wouldn't that song not be an original? If it isn't, then it shouldn't be nominated and it wouldn't be fair if it did win the Oscar.

Also, if they do win, I wonder if Bono would let out a few expletives like he did at the Golden Globes. :hmm:

.......great, can't wait for the ceremony.....

I just hope the voters don't try to convince the public they like hip-hope by voting for Eminem.

*wishes the entire band show up*

But then again, "Chicago" is a take-off a Broadway musical, right? So wouldn't that song not be an original? If it isn't, then it shouldn't be nominated and it wouldn't be fair if it did win the Oscar.

[/B]

The Chicago song nominated was a song written for the movie just like the Evita song that won a few years back. So the song is an original. And according to Entertainment Weekly was a song written to get Kander and Ebb an Oscar.

Also, while who ever wins the Globes are more likely to win Oscar, it is not guaranteed. Including nominations. Bono and Gavin Friday were nominated for a Golden Globe for a song Thief of your heart? from "In the Name of the Father" and weren't nominated for Oscar.

Daniel Day-Lewis won his Oscar. He didn't win the Globe, Tom Cruise did. So I'm hoping Day-Lewis will win!!

It will be great for U2 to win. I hope the Chicago song doesn't win because the song wasn't even in the muscial, it was in the credits. (It was taken out of the movie due to the fact that is slowed the story down according to test audiences!!)
Yes, I know too much about movies cos I'm a movie freak!

Kariann said:
I think it's March 23rd.

Ulraviolet-
You could be right about Mirimax lobbying more for U2. With all of the noms for Chicago I think the focus will be on best picture, actress etc. I think they will be pushing Gangs for director and actor in addition to U2. Weinstein is pretty fierce with the promotion so I wonder if he will push to have the guys do a few appearances between now and then.

:mac:
It could be suggested that the only reason Chicago was made into a movie was due to the success of Moulin Rouge. I just hope that we don't have every tom-dick and harry decide to do a musical/movie. I've had enough of them now.

Though I did read in the local papers (in Australia) that Nicole Kidman would love to do a musical along side New Zealand's (we don't want to claim him) Russell Crowe.

How great would that be two ordinary singers in another muscial!

Back
Top Bottom