U2 Gets Oscar Nom.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gonad said:

:mac:
It could be suggested that the only reason Chicago was made into a movie was due to the success of Moulin Rouge. I just hope that we don't have every tom-dick and harry decide to do a musical/movie. I've had enough of them now.

They were always planning to do a movie version of Chicago even before the success of Moulin Rouge. In the 80's Bob Fosse died so it stalled production of such a movie. It was bounced around that Madonna and Goldie Hawn be in it and then they didn't want to do it/Goldie was considered too ole and thus this delayed production even further.

I will say that the success of Moulin Rouge made it much more promising to hurry and get Chicago made right away to capitalize on the success. But it was always going to be made and the revival of it on Broadway helped to spur it as well!

I think U2 pretty much have this one sewn up.

BTW, that's this nonsense about only Bono and Edge playing?? All four of them are nominated, since they all wrote the song, so they should all be there.

skjuls said:
Bono and Gavin Friday were nominated for a Golden Globe for a song Thief of your heart? from "In the Name of the Father" and weren't nominated for Oscar.

I never knew that! It's a shame really, because that song is so completely better than Hands.. I do like Hands.. but thief of your heart is one of my favourite songs of all time.

No Chance ....

C'mon guys, stop living in a dreamland. Let's try to look at this objectively and be realiasts as opposed to disillusioned optimists --- U2 HAVE NO CHANCE TO WIN THE OSCARS.

Hands is just an average U2 song at best. The Oscar committee just nominated the song to sort of tip their hat off to U2 for their contributions to music and film in general, but the nomination itself was the victory. U2 will never win the Oscar with that song. The nomination was sort of like a respectful pat on the back to U2 for a job well done for all those years. Based on musical and lyrical merit alone, the song shouldn't even have been nominated.

Its also a shameless thing on Bono's part to add the last verse reference to the WTC Attacks -it has nothing to do with the film and Bono seems to have been "cashing in" on the tragedy just like Springsteen recently did with his Rising album. So in short, U2 have no chance for the Oscar win. They should not waste their time going and should concentrate on the new album instead.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Re: No Chance ....

jick said:
C'mon guys, stop living in a dreamland. Let's try to look at this objectively and be realiasts as opposed to disillusioned optimists --- U2 HAVE NO CHANCE TO WIN THE OSCARS.

Hands is just an average U2 song at best. The Oscar committee just nominated the song to sort of tip their hat off to U2 for their contributions to music and film in general, but the nomination itself was the victory. U2 will never win the Oscar with that song. The nomination was sort of like a respectful pat on the back to U2 for a job well done for all those years. Based on musical and lyrical merit alone, the song shouldn't even have been nominated.

Its also a shameless thing on Bono's part to add the last verse reference to the WTC Attacks -it has nothing to do with the film and Bono seems to have been "cashing in" on the tragedy just like Springsteen recently did with his Rising album. So in short, U2 have no chance for the Oscar win. They should not waste their time going and should concentrate on the new album instead.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Geez!!!! What the hell is up with that? According to your thinking, then Parul Simon's nomination is based on his musical history since he's never been nominated.

Does U2 have chance? Of course, they do. Harvey Weinstein asked them to write the song for the movie so he will most likely lobby the Oscar for them. Therefore, they have a chance.

I think the WTC reference was fine because if you had watched the film you can see where it ties in. The last frames of the film show how the WTC ties into the movie. Bono said if Martin Scorsee didn't do the timeframe sequence they wouldn't have been able to say anything about the WTC attacks in the song!

J you just like to stir up trouble!!!

And they should go!! What the hell!?? They have been working on the new album and from what John, one of their bodyguards, said the album is a rocking one!!

Back
Top Bottom