u2 for people who don't like u2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BittersweetGirl

The Fly
my friend made me a clash mix b/c they're his favorite band, so I told him i'd make him a u2 mix. the problem is he says he hates u2 because "they're sooooo pretentious." I think I can convert him though. He's a huge Ramones fan and likes rockabilly, so I was wonderin what you all would put on his mix. here's what i have so far:
Out of Control, I will follow, like a song, new years day, unforgettable fire, asoh?, (no Bad or WOWY because he hates ballads), One Tree Hill, God part 2, Angel, Acrobat, maybe mysterious ways, numb? dirty day?

any ideas would be appreciated! thanks

Well, if he likes rockabilly, I'd include more Rattle and Hum, like When Love Comes to Town and Silver and Gold. I've never heard of any human not liking Until the End of the World, so I'd add that. Maybe Running To Stand Still and Trip Through You Wires too. Seems like you're leaning more towards the rockers, so I'd throw in Gone, Exit, and HMTMKMKM too.

I'd leave Numb out though, I think you really have to like U2 to appreciate that one.
wink.gif

Originally posted by Dustybot:

I'd leave Numb out though, I think you really have to like U2 to appreciate that one.
wink.gif

Why? It sounds nothing like anything they've done before... And I'm not just saying that... Numb is actually the song that turned me on to U2

That's why I would leave it out Skeek. I don't think it's that representative of U2 at all. I think you're an exception, because whenever I play it in company, someone always giggles and says, "what is that shit?"

I like Numb as an album track, but that's about its limit for me.

I was just trying to think of the perspective of someone who doesn't know/doesn't like U2, and I would not choose Numb as one to let them hear right off the bat.

thanks, skeek and dustybot. you're right, more R&H is probably good. and he's pretty far left politically so he'll like the speech at the end of Silver and Gold.
keep 'em coming!

Clash, Ramones, rockabilly. I LIVED on London Calling in the early Eighties, and I actually wore my hair in a ducktail!
biggrin.gif
So, regressing myself a little...
Not sure about ASOH, or even UF. are they a little too "floaty" for a Ramones kinda guy?
Mysterious Ways -- that opening guitar hook always makes me think of Gene Vincent, somehow. *L* Or Eddie Cochrane.
God Pt II is perfect.
Elevation!
Seconds -- snarky politics and punk fuck-YOU tempo
Exit MUST be the live version!
Daddy's Gonna Pay... The funk in it reminds of some of the more surprising (seductive) stuff on London Calling.
HMTMKMKM, oh yeahhhhh...

Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

My friend hated u2 so everytime he came to my house i stcuk on popmart video/ rattle and hum, playing u2 cd's.....the other day he admitted he now loves u2 and he can sing to their songs and he talks about bono and larry as if he was their best friend and knows all sorts of stuff.....just do it to your friend...in time he will grow to like them
biggrin.gif

My friend likes Machine Head, Metallica and the ramones. His favourite songs are Sunday BLoody Sunday, Out of Control and he likes exit from the joshua tree

thanks for the ideas! I never even thought of putting Exit on there, but it totally makes sense.
truecolorsfly- you sound a lot like my friend, he always wears Clash t-shirts (either that or Dead Kennedys) and listens to them nonstop. No ducktail, though!
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom