U2 Fith Most Powerful Celebrity!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First reaction: I find it hard to trust any list that ranks Britney as #1.
Second reaction: It's very sad that you can be titled the most powerful celebrity by putting on skimpy clothing, belting out cheap pop songs badly and lip-syncing.

I think it sucks too:mad:, but, as it says right in the story ...

But what she lacked in pure dollars, Spears more than made up for in terms of magazine cover stories, television and radio appearances, Web hits and overall media coverage.

power?

What strikes me most odd about this is the term "powerful". Steven Speilberg has "power", Oprah has "power", damn, i would say even the Olsen twins have more "power" than Britney (and a hell of a lot more money).

U2 has power because of their longevity, their proven record of being one of, if not THE, biggest album selling global band, their proven record of being one of, if not THE biggest ticket selling band, and throw in with that their political slant, and you you have a powerful entertainment entity.

This past year Britney has had a record which performed well below expectations, she had a movie that was a commercial dissapointment, her tour is playing to mixed reviews and mixed ticket sales, and she really has no clout outside the teen industry.
I just don't see the "power" that other people on this list have.

elevatedmole said:
Second reaction: It's very sad that you can be titled the most powerful celebrity by putting on skimpy clothing, belting out cheap pop songs badly and lip-syncing.

I totally agree. Just some hours ago I saw a short report about Britney Spears (I think I napped over it, because I REALLY can't remember what it was about) and the only thing I remember is that they said that 'she is a very influential person and an idol that makes young people focus on important things'. :lol: I almost fell of my chair when I heard this! What important things?!? No smoking?!? No sex before marriage?!? Or just how to build up a beautiful lie???? Her 'fans' claimed that she can sing so wonderful and so on.... :barf:

Only one women said that she doesn't agree with Spears being the 'most powerful woman'. Yay sister! :up:

Let's be honest: For us U2 will be no. 1 forever, because it is simply true, right?

elevatedmole said:
It's very sad that you can be titled the most powerful celebrity by putting on skimpy clothing, belting out cheap pop songs badly and lip-syncing.

You shouldn't say that about U2. You call yourself a fan???? :madspit:

:p

I really don't trust polls. I'd call this one "for the birds" if I weren't a bird-lover. :lol: Britney may have some influence right now because of the "trash" element in our pop culture, but really, this is a bad joke.

It sounds like these guys didn't even try to define "powerful". You hear the phrase "star power" thrown around......it exists, but what is it? Inquiring minds want to know......:lol:

verte76 said:
It sounds like these guys didn't even try to define "powerful". You hear the phrase "star power" thrown around......it exists, but what is it? Inquiring minds want to know......:lol:

hmmm...Good point!

I'm highly skeptical have how this list was compiled especially the money making part. I could see U2 making only 69 million dollars after taxes are taken out, but still I would see that number being much higher when you realise the total GROSS of the tour was 143 million just from ticket sales. Then there is merchandise and $4 dollars from every copy of ATYCLB that was sold. ATYCLB has sold 11 million copies!

Another factor is, I don't think the list takes into account profits mades outside the USA or the celebrity profile of major European acting and recording celebs. This is probably just exclusive to the USA. Most people in other countries have no Idea who Dave Matthews is. So how could Dave Matthews be ranked in the top 100 let alone the top 25?

Back
Top Bottom