U2 firepower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msrizzo27

Babyface
I was having an argument with some friends of mine who have little respect for U2....they are into the smaller rock bands who are somewhat underground and when compared to U2, i dont see how that is possible. I used the, "well how many grammies does _____ have?" because to be honest, i dont know very much about the band besides the obvious that they rock.....anyone know some good firepower i can use on them next time that happens, and im sure it will again

thanks

Why do you like U2? What do you like of U2?
Try to tell that to your friends, so maybe they also see what's so great in their music.

There's no need to boast or to put down other bands. Try to focus on the music.

:)

Popmartijn said:
Try to focus on the music.

:yes: You could always point them towards this site and show them just how many diverse people their music has touched. If a band can appeal to so many people, who are all so different and are from all across the globe, they can't be all that bad can they?

:D

Or, you could just say "I like them, and that is that"
You shouldn't try and justify yourself to others. Everyone has different tastes.

^ yeah. after accepting hte fact that some of my friends don't see the same thing in U2 that I see, i stopped letting it bother me.
I wouldn't want to put down other bands, too, but for me, U2's music is music that speaks. it moves. it inspires. and it brings forth emotion. That's just the type of music I'm into. Other people may be more into catchy tunes and funny lyrics, and if that is the case, there's nothing a U2 fan can say that will sway them, you know? so it's ok to have different tastes in music.
lots of bands don't last nearly as long as U2, and that's because U2 value their friendship over the band. That's another thing I admire about them, but nonU2 fans probably won't see it.
Most of my friends say that U2 is overrated, and that they're sold out and blahblah, but as long as I know in my heart that they're stil the same ol' U2, that's good enough for me ;]

thelaj said:
Or, you could just say "I like them, and that is that"
You shouldn't try and justify yourself to others. Everyone has different tastes.

:up:

If you want your friends to try to get into U2, I'd reccommend Pop, especially if they only know the radio hits. I've converted a few of my friends with Pop. But it sounds like your friends have that indie mentality where they refuse to like popular bands, which is too bad imo, but hey, to each his own :shrug:

I wouldn't try and justify U2 based on winning Grammys, though - what is it, 22? - Grammys is pretty impressive. I'd instead point out how JT and AB are two of the defining albums of rock music and how chances are U2 influenced some of the "underground" bands they listen to. Talk about how Edge innovates with guitar, how U2's music reaches emotional heights previously unexplored, how they've used reinvention, the brilliance and influence of ZooTV, ect.

Popmartijn said:
Why do you like U2? What do you like of U2?
Try to tell that to your friends, so maybe they also see what's so great in their music.

There's no need to boast or to put down other bands. Try to focus on the music.

:love:

Grammies don't mean jack. Seriously, that's the worst response you could give them. You'd come off like a bragging idiot.

"Led Zepellin didn't win any Grammies" - Waynes World

You can show them a DVD... Any tour. though I recomend Zoo TV:wink: Seriously some of my friends may not like their music but they never denied how awsome they are on stage. But if that doesn't result... just don't bother. If we all liked the same things life would be very boring.

What bands do they like? If they listen to bands like Radiohead and Arcade Fire, you can point out that even members of those bands are U2 fans (Radiohead's guitarist and I believe Win Butler of the Arcade Fire). I'm sure there are plenty of other underground bands that were influenced by U2, too.

And if they listen to that screaming metal crap, then forget them and just pride yourself in your obviously superior musical taste. :wink:

But yeah, when it comes down to it, you like what you like, and they like what they like. Don't forget that. :)

Just say that U2 have been one of the most universally respected and successful acts of all time. Even when they were at their peak, they changed their sound completely and ventured off to new territory (and for a group of U2's stature, that's saying something!). Also, how can anyone regard the band as "crap" when you have so many respected musicians as Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Thom Yorke, Lou Reed, The Arcade Fire, and more who enjoy U2's music? That should keep 'em quiet ;)

It sounds like you're dealing with indie rock fucktards. In general, the minds of indie rock fucktards are completely closed.

Don't even bother.

Back
Top Bottom