U2 finally wrote THE song: YAHWEH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
Does anyone remember this:

When "POP" was about to be released, both U2 and Brian Eno talked about that it was easy for a band to write a dark, moody, melodramatic song. (Edge revered to Radiohead, who he really liked!) Much more harder it is to write a song with the centerword "joy" in it. Uplifting, hopeful, and maybe spiritual songs. U2 said they tried to capture this on POP.

Though I love most of the songs on POP and their own characteristics, I don't think there's a single song in it which has this element dominantly upfront!

But then I heard Yahweh!
(Maybe I sound like a sissy, but I don't care!) This song brought tears in my eyes and a lump in my throte! This finally was the song they tried to nail down during POP(and all their career). It has all this above elements in it: hope, faith, love, joy! This was a U2 I haven't heard for years and years!! (maybe only in "One")This song comes from another place. So, I can't believe "so-called U2 fans" don't like the song and find it boring and call it a filler at best.

For me, these people are boring winers who only like their U2 songs to be like: One (part 2), With or Without you (part 6), Beautiful Day (part 19) Streets (part 475)!
Man, it's 2005!! For example, I also love "A man and a woman"! Very new U2 with a lot of romantic atmosphere. Also an orphan-song kicked out the door by a lot of these "so-called U2 fans"!

So, my opinion is: these song are not the problem..! It's the SONAR of a lot of "U2-fans" that don't receive the new rich dimensions U2 are capturing in these songs! (Yahweh, A man and a woman)
Of course I like "Sometimes you can't..." & "Original of.."(gave me goosebums/chickenskin as high as the Himalaya!) "Vertigo" and "City.."
But Yahweh has a Highness to it that in history only John Lennon could touch. This song IS U2 from a Higher Place!!

Sorry, but I just want to stand up for these treasures of songs!!

Yahweh sucks. The new album rules, but Yahweh is really a standard and boring song.
God, their worst song since Babyface.

A Man And A Woman rocks though!

Yahweh is my favourite on the Album!

Onyourkneesboy....you are right about john lennon.like the joy in 'across the universe,' 'With a little help form my friends(could be a McCartney one)' etc

I wasn't sure what I thought about the song at first. The title threw me off, and the lyric was just too similar to Do You Feel Loved.

But the more I listen, the more I like it. I'm very curious to see how it translates to a live setting.

a fantastic song:)

its so happy and you really feel like he means it. I tihnk its Bono's mission statement. He has said he is going to try save the world, now he is telling God to use him for what God wants.

Excellent song. Very strong and thought provoking. Love the lyrics.

Man & a Woman, on the other hand.....tolerable, IMO.

Yahweh rules. Should become a single. I love the ending, probably the best one in an U2 album.

man and a woman, crumbs, and yahweh, definately my faves from the new album!! Such new sounds and new life breathed into familiar sounds all at once!!

Great stuff!!!!

Yaweh is a BRILLIANT SONG- I LOVE IT- Then again, I love every single song off the new album, Then again I love every single U2 song!

i couldn't have said it better. yahweh is FANTASTIC! my favorite track on the new album, and my favorite U2 track in over a decade.

"take this heart and make it break"-- you broke mine with this song, bono.

Yahweh's my favourite on the album... It has a great instrumental... Very hard to separate in its discernition... The lyric is good too... The entire song takes us back to the Joshua Tree era with that guitar riffs... I don't understand why it sucks...! Is the lyric too "God-devoted"? On the other hand, I like the bluesy tune of A Man And A Woman but the intention with that lyric and the instrumental was to touch the female's heart, which I find very cool...

steak said:
Sorry dude but a man and a woman is utter tripe. It's just bad on the ears

I'm coming round to OOTS though

I love A Man And A Woman, it took root in my head the first time I heard it and will not budge. I also think Yahweh is incredibly moving.

Last edited:
I agree with your thoughts on Yahweh, it's a brave, well crafted beautiful song.

Not so sure about AMAAW. So does that make me only a "so called U2 fan"? You sound like the type, that if you got into government you'd become a despot dictator, executing anyone who didn't believe in your ideas! :wink:

I love the "his love is like a drop in the ocean" line, almost brought me to tears the 1st time i heard it.

Every U2 fan has their different tastes... I don't necessaraly think it has to do with wanting another "One, "WOWY", etc. But if it sounds good or bad to somebody, that's all that matters.

onyourkneesboy said:
This song comes from another place. So, I can't believe "so-called U2 fans" don't like the song and find it boring and call it a filler at best.

For me, these people are boring winers who only like their U2 songs to be like: One (part 2), With or Without you (part 6), Beautiful Day (part 19) Streets (part 475)!
Man, it's 2005!!

Who are you to say this? I respect your opinion on Yaweh, but what gives you the right bash people who doesn't like it?

For me, Yaweh doesn't give me anything, I think its really boring and uninspiring and I know that its 2005...

So stop fucking around and call us who doesn't like Yaweh 'so called fans'!

Yahweh
AMAAW
Babyface

I happen to be a big fan of all of them. But since this thread was started b/c of Yahweh, I'll comment specifically on it. I think there are some great couplets in this song, and the last verse is especially moving. It shows humility in a way we haven't seen in quite a while from Bono. Humility (humbleness) is not practiced enough in general. So it's refreshing to hear a song that expresses it so well.

I love Yahweh - it is pure joy. Loud in the car, the bit that I have to play back is when the guitar comes in after the 'your love is like a drop in the ocean' section... there is so much restraint, then Edge Larry and Adam break in and it feels like a skyward moment; as if the roof blew off the studio and the sun came out. We all have firework moments in songs and Yahweh, for me, is full of 'em!

Back
Top Bottom