u2 feeling small

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monke

The Fly
i just saw a bootleg of an old springsteen concert, and Bono was a surprise guest, i was overwhelmed, two of rocks greatest togueter again, i was not expecting it, but..........Bono seemed to feel o so little, everyone was rocking out, and he didnt seem to know what to do with himself, the boss gives him signals to go for it, and Bono just says no, WTH!!!!, the best live singer in the world, with his arms at his sides for the whole song!!!!!!

so anyway, have you ever seen Bono, or any memeber of u2, feeling, well small?

(yeah i know, this dosnt mean he felt small, i just tought he did, and the concert, judging by the hair was around the pop era)

Standing underneath the giant olive? ;)

Hmm, I do recall seeing a photo of Adam standing next to really tall baseball player, I think, only time.

I'm 5'2" so everyone in the band is taller than me.

I liked Bono's facial expression when they started Live 8 with Paul McCartney, and his and Edge's grinning at the Blackbird snippet at tbe end.

Yup, at live8 he looked pretty damn small. I taped the whole thing and was watching U2 and McCartney, Bono looked really nervous... very different to his useful act he puts on.

I thought he kind of looked that way through most of the Oprah show actually, he seemed very nervous and kind of shy.

I also agree on Because the Night (assuming that's the performance you're talking about, only other one I know of is Stand By Me from the R&H outtakes). I think that's still a great performance, they seem like such good friends. :cute:

yeah its because the night, and it does end up being a great performance, but i just felt weird seeing Bono with his hands at his sides for so long

When I met Bman he was shy:cute: he was quiet, soft spoken and VERY polite....alittle awkward acting..kinda like most people when they meet someone new.

:hug: shy bman

I think overall he is shy - and probably feels a bit awkward or intimidated or even - dare I say it? - unworthy when he performs with the likes of the Stones, Springsteen and McCartney. Maybe the kids these days don't know these names like they should, but anyone with any real musical interest sure does - and they are legends. It's their show and Bono is a guest - as such, I think he feels a bit intimidated/awkward. It's not his show and perhaps people don't want him there! After all, if you listen on the "Because the Night" video, you can hear one person ask who that is - even when the rest of the crowd is cheering wildly - and she is informed that this is Bono.

In contrast though, I think Bono is a bit more at ease when he's with someone not quite the legend (see Corr's performance) or when it's U2's show and a guest comes on.

Bono didn't seem too shy during his Rattle and Hum period. I remember seeing him with many musicians and he just rocked the house. I think now that he's older, he seems more vulnerable. I know I feel that way since I hit my...well never mind.

he seems less confident as a musician when he performs without the rest of the band.

also, i agree with neutral that on oprah he was nervous. but since then, in the past few years he has gotten so good at public speaking that i don't see him nervous in those situations very often anymore.

caragriff said:

also, i agree with neutral that on oprah he was nervous. but since then, in the past few years he has gotten so good at public speaking that i don't see him nervous in those situations very often anymore.

Also, with the Oprah thing, unlike when he's giving a speech or performing at a concert - situations where he's in control - he didn't really know what to expect or what exactly to prepare for, since it was basically an interview with a live audience, and not really about the band.

When they were on the UK show Friday Night with Johnathan Ross, all four looked totally uncomfortable.

Johnathan Ross clearly knew very little about them, and revealed the popmart lemon not opening as if it was scoop of the century.

Bono did most of the talking, Edge had a nervous laugh and Adam and Larry Mullen (Junior) smiled a lot.

trouble is they keep repeating it on UK TV gold - though it's worth watching for their performance of I Will Follow.

Back
Top Bottom