U2 Feedback in danger! EVERYONE MUST READ!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Rono:
We need money, sorry.

LOL dont worry my life savings does indeed consist of money and not smilies.

browsmiley.gif

------------------
Click here to save Interference

Sicy's Website

Originally posted by Elvis:
Working for a dotcom was fun... while it lasted
smile.gif

Hah! Aint that the truth! I am still seeking employment and its been 5 weeks now...

Good luck Joel, I will make a small contribution when I make my PayPal Acct or figure out how to use it. You and I have talked about this in the past and am just wondering if you are still exploring some of the Plan B & C options.

Also, I like the idea of Subscription Feedback. Have you explored the probability of this? The reality is, very little of quality is still free on the Internet. Even Geocities is charging for traffic now, if you can believe that. If you have at least 300 members and charged $2 a month or something, I think you could do it. I think the idea could work.

Yeah I am still lucky to have access via FTP to the servers that host U2LA.com, I dont know how much longer that will last and I just got DSL, so its time for one last concert.

Skeek, this week we'll do Slane!
wink.gif

------------------
Camilo Arenivar

Email: U2LA2000@hotmail.com

AOL Instant Message: nohocamilo

Yahoo Messenger: u2la2000

http://www.U2LA.com

Originally posted by U2LA:
You and I have talked about this in the past and am just wondering if you are still exploring some of the Plan B & C options.

Also, I like the idea of Subscription Feedback. Have you explored the probability of this? The reality is, very little of quality is still free on the Internet. Even Geocities is charging for traffic now, if you can believe that. If you have at least 300 members and charged $2 a month or something, I think you could do it. I think the idea could work.

Yep.. I'm exploring other options as I've mentioned, but I need to be sure before any change is made. Moving everything isnt an easy task.. if we have to do it.. I'd like to do it only once.

As far as Feedback subscriptions, I'd like to hear others views/ideas on this. I'm not opposed to it, although I'd prefer to keep the site as free as possible.

There are currently over 5000 registered mebers of Feedback and approximately 25,000-40,000 people who read atleast one thread each month.

------------------
-Elvis
http://interference.com

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
sorry, I won't be giving you any of my money elvis

Wanderer, chances are you have more than enough in extra funds to donate to both causes. Imagine that one take out meal that you do NOT buy this week, but instead you eat at home. There is your donation. Instead of spending $15 on a pizza, have macaroni and cheese for lunch/dinner. There's your donation.

While I fully agree that the victims of this tragedy need our help more, as Elvis pointed out, a mere one dollar donation from everyone on this board could save it. Tell me, can you not spare that one dollar? If so, let me know and I will gladly donate a dollar on your behalf.

I donated because this board provided me with much more than U2 news this week. It was my way to vent. It was my outlet for news. It was my venue for discussing what should be done. The U2 information alone is reason enough for my donation. But when coupled with all the other features, it seemed that I should help do whatever I could to keep this site going.

Also, I should stress that if we are able to gather more funds than what Joel needs, we can use those funds to make a donation to Red Cross in the name of Interference. In the past, WIRE used to have annual charity drives where over $5,000 (!) was gathered one year and donated to Amnesty International. I think it's time we do something similar here on Interference.

So view your donation as a contribution to the "Save Interference/Help the Red Cross" cause. Nothing but good can come of your money because of your donation. Considering people spend hundreds of dollars travelling around the world just to see U2, I would hope that a mere dollar donation to this very worthy cause would not be a problem.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 09-16-2001).]

Hey Elvis...

Sorry to hear about this current predicament. Unfortunately, with the way the dot-com world is going with this economy, I kind of figured it would come to this eventually.

I am sending an e-mail to request an address so I can send a small donation via money order. I really don't trust the internet enough to let them handle it....
tongue.gif

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Wanderer, chances are you have more than enough in extra funds to donate to both causes. Imagine that one take out meal that you do NOT buy this week, but instead you eat at home. There is your donation. Instead of spending $15 on a pizza, have macaroni and cheese for lunch/dinner. There's your donation.

While I fully agree that the victims of this tragedy need our help more, as Elvis pointed out, a mere one dollar donation from everyone on this board could save it. Tell me, can you not spare that one dollar? If so, let me know and I will gladly donate a dollar on your behalf.

I donated because this board provided me with much more than U2 news this week. It was my way to vent. It was my outlet for news. It was my venue for discussing what should be done. The U2 information alone is reason enough for my donation. But when coupled with all the other features, it seemed that I should help do whatever I could to keep this site going.

Also, I should stress that if we are able to gather more funds than what Joel needs, we can use those funds to make a donation to Red Cross in the name of Interference. In the past, WIRE used to have annual charity drives where over $5,000 (!) was gathered one year and donated to Amnesty International. I think it's time we do something similar here on Interference.

So view your donation as a contribution to the "Save Interference/Help the Red Cross" cause. Nothing but good can come of your money because of your donation. Considering people spend hundreds of dollars travelling around the world just to see U2, I would hope that a mere dollar donation to this very worthy cause would not be a problem.

I give this post a triple thumbs up.

------------------
Click Here To Save Interference

Sicy's Website

Originally posted by U2LA:
Hah! Aint that the truth! I am still seeking employment and its been 5 weeks now...

Good luck Joel, I will make a small contribution when I make my PayPal Acct or figure out how to use it. You and I have talked about this in the past and am just wondering if you are still exploring some of the Plan B & C options.

Yeah I am still lucky to have access via FTP to the servers that host U2LA.com, I dont know how much longer that will last and I just got DSL, so its time for one last concert.

Skeek, this week we'll do Slane!
wink.gif

Sorry to hear about this Elvis.
frown.gif

I agree with the subscription fee, I'd be willing to pay.
I'll e-mail you for a snail mail address.
Camilo, sorry to hear you're still looking for a job, good luck!
doctorwho, well said, thank you.

I also agree with dr.who. This site has been a source of comfort in such difficult times. The people I've met here in the short amount of time have provided me with great laughter and made life a little easier and more joyful everyday. Even if we tried moving elsewhere people would get lost in the shuffle and Feedback would never be the same. I personally would find it extremely offensive and an act of betrayal if we abandon the site and all its hard work, like what has happened to Napster. For that reason I have just finished making my contribution through paypal and hope everyone will show the same support.

[This message has been edited by mbi16 (edited 09-16-2001).]

Thanks everyone! Some more donations have been coming in,,, but only a TINY fraction of the people that are even active here.

A dollar...? c'mon. hehe.

------------------
-Elvis

I'm in via PayPal.
Let me know how much more you need... I'll dig a little deeper if needed.

This site needs to stay alive for us.

Joel, if you can not find a longterm solution to financing interference, look to selling the site off to someone who can afford it so that it can be kept alive instead of being shut down altogether.

Originally posted by Skeksis:
Joel, if you can not find a longterm solution to financing interference, look to selling the site off to someone who can afford it so that it can be kept alive instead of being shut down altogether.

I'm working on making sure the site remains alive... and maintaining control. Some wonderful people have been so kind to be donating funds, as well as services! Thanks to all so far!

------------------
-Elvis

Originally posted by Elvis:
Thanks everyone! Some more donations have been coming in,,, but only a TINY fraction of the people that are even active here.

A dollar...? c'mon. hehe.

I donated $20 earlier this evening, I hope it helps....
smile.gif

------------------
J33 - 3->

"She is the dreamer, she's imagination..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

so how much money, exactly, did you say you need?

well this will work beautifully if some people give more than $1, then not everyone needs to donate, eh? and you will re-distribute that surplus, right?

how many members of feedback are there anyway?

---------
the world is a vampire

so how much money, exactly, did you say you need?

well this will work beautifully if some people give more than $1, then not everyone needs to donate, eh? and you will re-distribute that surplus, right?

how many members of feedback are there anyway?

How much at this point really isnt known - based on what needs to happen. Ive mentioned the existing server cost in a previous post.

Trust me, not everyone is donating - FAR FROM IT. Re-distribute the surplus? What do you think this is, a communist regime? The money will be used for servers and improvements - and if there is surplus (that would be nice), I would like to see it go to the charity of Feedback's choice.

I've also mentioned previously that there are over 5000 registered members here, and somewhere between 25,000-40,000 monthly readers(lurkers).

------------------
-Elvis http://interference.com

[This message has been edited by Elvis (edited 09-16-2001).]

well actually, since this isn't a communist regime, I don't think I need to contribute anything to subsidize this board

I don't love it at all, if it goes under, something will be there to take its place -- now THAT'S capitalism!
smile.gif

well actually, since this isn't a communist regime, I don't think I need to contribute anything to subsidize this board

I don't love it at all, if it goes under, something will be there to take its place -- now THAT'S capitalism!
smile.gif

Leech.

------------------
-Elvis

I find it interesting how there are not too many originally registered people posting here saying that they will donate. A certain group of someones I should say. But I'm sure if the forum was shut down they would be upset/sad/etc. Read what doctorwho posted. It makes alot of sense.

smile.gif

------------------
Click Here To Save Interference

Sicy's Website

oh I'm sure JOEL doesn't need any of my money, I think he's done well enough with his little U2 ventures in the past

as far as the "original" members not giving enough money, well, maybe it's because we know he's full of shit

tongue.gif

oh c'mon JOEL, we're all comrades here, can't you take a little constructive criticism?

anyway, i thought this donation business was on a voluntary basis? I thought you were only "considering" donations?

is it mandatory? I mean, if you want I could send you a check tomorrow Fed Ex, I mean, I wouldn't want anything to happen to interference, I remember when WIRE had all those problems... it was scary

oh I'm sure JOEL doesn't need any of my money, I think he's done well enough with his little U2 ventures in the past

as far as the "original" members not giving enough money, well, maybe it's because we know he's full of shit

tongue.gif

oh c'mon JOEL, we're all comrades here, can't you take a little constructive criticism?

anyway, i thought this donation business was on a voluntary basis? I thought you were only "considering" donations?

is it mandatory? I mean, if you want I could send you a check tomorrow Fed Ex, I mean, I wouldn't want anything to happen to interference, I remember when WIRE had all those problems... it was scary

This -is- a serious problem. And as far as 'u2 ventures' .... I've spent so much money on this stuff since 1996 that any 'ventures' have only helped cover current or previous expenses. This isnt a business, its a hobby. The need for donations is serious - I wouldn't do it otherwise. Of course it's not -mandatory- but it is appreciated. People making donations or not, will unfortunately be one of the key factors in the survival of this site.

------------------
-Elvis

Back
Top Bottom