U2 Fans Raise Over $26,000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sue4u2

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
U2 Fans Raise Over $26,000 to Build Wells in Honor of Bono's Birthday

Just got this in an email, didn't see it posted but didn't go everywhere.
Sorry if it's a duplicate.

U2 fans from around the world donated over $26,000 to the African Well Fund to build wells in Africa in honor of Bono's birthday. The African Well Fund is a registered non-profit organization that was formed by a group of U2 fans 6 years ago. Since that time they have raised more that a half a million dollars to fund clean water projects in Africa.

Schenectady, NY (PRWEB) June 23, 2008 -- The African Well Fund and Africare are excited to announce that this year's fundraiser to "Build a Well for Bono's Birthday" has raised $26,554.77 to fund clean water projects in Africa. This year marks the 6th one in a row that U2 fans from around the world have come together to honor Bono's May 10th birthday by raising money for clean water in Africa.

The fundraiser launched on March 16th and donations were collected through May 15th. After donating, fans signed an online birthday card for Bono at the African Well Fund web site African Well Fund - Building Hope One Well At A Time . Their signatures and birthday greetings will be incorporated into a beautiful hand made card that will be sent to Bono in Dublin. For 6 consecutive years, the African Well Fund has held a fundraising campaign in honor of Bono's Birthday. These campaigns have raised a total of more than $125,000 and have been used to fund water and sanitation projects throughout Sub-Saharan Africa.

Rest of article: U2 Fans Raise Over $26,000 to Build Wells in Honor of Bono's Birthday

Way to go fan's :up: :applaud:

GREAT!!!! :applaud:

And I remember a handwritten note by Bono to the African Well Fund one or two years ago. Maybe someone could find it.

Awesome! Has Bono ever commented on the project?

Yes he did. This is the note he sent after the 2007 campaign:
attachment-1.php.jpg

:up: Wow thats great!!! I think I am correct when I say it takes about $8,000 to build a well. Thats 3 wells. :applaud:

Actually, I think the cost to build a well is more like $2000 - $2500, so with the money raised about 10 -12 wells can be built! :up:

Translator please :lol: ?

:rolleyes:

:p

Well, Well, Well, Well, Well,
Well And Well done etc.

I think its my favourite birthday gift every year… and this year I wanted to thank you – music is pouring out of the U2 ers at the minute and despite what’s happening out there in a wild wild world I am so happy to be alive enough to give it a good kickin.

There’s no business like shoe business
Bono

:D

"Well, well, well, well, well
well well
and well done, etc.
I think its my favourite birthday
gift every year ... and this year
I wanted to thank you -- music
is pouring out of the U2ers at the
minute and despite whats happening out ther
in a wild wild world I am so happy
to be alive enough to give it a good
kickin
*shoe drawing*
Thers no buisnes
like shoe buisnes
Bono"

[sic]

*facepalm* Oh Bono, will you ever learn how to spell? (not to mention, how to use apostrophes)

EDIT: Beaten to the punch. I kept Bono's bad grammar and spelling though :lol:

Actually, I think the cost to build a well is more like $2000 - $2500, so with the money raised about 10 -12 wells can be built! :up:

You're much closer to the truth Popmartijn than the previous response to the cost of building wells in Africa.

Each well should cost no more than $2000 apiece. Given that $26,000 was raised this year in Bono's Birthday Well campaign, at least twelve clean water wells should be built in Africa with this money.:up:

I ask people to not assume that it is only U2 fans that donate money for this project. Each year, many new people are donating to the AWF - church groups, school groups, etc.

Also, before the note that Bono sent the AWF last year, he had also sent a note a few years previous to that note to the AWF stating that the clean water wells built in Africa from the money raised in his honor was the best birthday present that he receives! :wink:

To check all this out, please visit the website. (African Well Fund - Building Hope One Well At A Time)

Back
Top Bottom