U2 fans' political views

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which candidate would you vote for in the upcoming US presidential election?

• Bush

Votes: 43 23.9%
  • Kerry

Votes: 123 68.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • None

Votes: 10 5.6%

• Total voters
I agree with Phalanx, couldn't have said it much better. I am going with Bush because I am in the Military and am concerned he will really mess things up. Plus, the partial birth abortion issue cuts to the heart. I am sick of it being part of the Liberal mantra, like there is something wrong with you, if you are not pro choice.

BK:|

partial births abortions are for when the mother is going to die otherwise. i don't understand why the fuck everyone thinks it's an obvious decision to kill the mom and let the baby survive. Imagine yourself in that situation. Anyway, all Kerry is saying is it's not cut and dried, there are variables, and Bush is saying 'everything is always this way in black and white' which is a good way of summarizing their general outlooks. I think black and white and good and evil is complete bullshit.

I think we can all agree that we cant wait for the election to be over either way. Unfortunately that probebly wont be until December!! ;) I have heard both parties have sent teams of attornies out in all the battleground states. The last election set a bad precedent in that regard.

People who are voting for Kerry have been quite loud and boisterous. Bush supporters are more quiet, fearing the Kerry backers will lampoon them for backing Bush....just an observation...I heard a joke....today is National Abstinence Day....no Bush (Dubya) and no Dick (cheney)

Numb1075 said:
People who are voting for Kerry have been quite loud and boisterous. Bush supporters are more quiet, fearing the Kerry backers will lampoon them for backing Bush....just an observation...I heard a joke....today is National Abstinence Day....no Bush (Dubya) and no Dick (cheney)

KERRY or else. As Bono said on the 1992 tour, we better make the right decision or we are all f****d.

Bush supporters are quiet on this forum (and this forum only - look at talk radio) likely because that are quite aware that they do not share the band's political views.

Yes, Bono has gone out of his way to appeal to both parties here, but that is for the sole purpose of moving the Africa/debt-relief cause forward. Otherwise, I would say that their views are definitely progressive and more liberal than most U.S. Democrats! But anyone who has listened to their music or has followed them through their career should already know that.

Peace

Johnovox said:

KERRY or else. As Bono said on the 1992 tour, we better make the right decision or we are all f****d.

It's never as bad (or as good) as the pre-election hyperbole claims it will be. Truth is, not much will change either way if a regime that has been in power for four years is replaced by a regime that hasn't been in power since way back in January of 2001. And we're certainly not f'd one way or the other.

deltau922 said:

It's never as bad (or as good) as the pre-election hyperbole claims it will be. Truth is, not much will change either way if a regime that has been in power for four years is replaced by a regime that hasn't been in power since way back in January of 2001. And we're certainly not f'd one way or the other.

That's Bono's quote from 1992. What he was trying to say is that while US citizens choose the President of the United States, their choice impacts the rest of the world, who are stuck with our decision. And yes, if you look at the differences between Clinton and this regime, I think you could make the same statement today.

Johnovox said:

That's Bono's quote from 1992. What he was trying to say is that while US citizens choose the President of the United States, their choice impacts the rest of the world, who are stuck with our decision. And yes, if you look at the differences between Clinton and this regime, I think you could make the same statement today.

I disagree, 911 changed everything. If that had not occurred you would have seen very little difference from the prior administration overall. At least as far as it effecting your daily lives. Bono likes to be overdramatic and I think it applies to that statement. Fact of the matter is no matter who wins this election, very little or nothing will change in my personal life.

Blue Room said:

I disagree, 911 changed everything. If that had not occurred you would have seen very little difference from the prior administration overall. At least as far as it effecting your daily lives. Bono likes to be overdramatic and I think it applies to that statement. Fact of the matter is no matter who wins this election, very little or nothing will change in my personal life.

I disagree. As early as January 2001, inside reports indicated that certain members of the Bush administration were considering an invasion of Iraq.

While the candidates have been using similar language to appeal to undecided voters recently, their core approaches to the world's problems are VERY different.

Johnovox said:

I disagree. As early as January 2001, inside reports indicated that certain members of the Bush administration were considering an invasion of Iraq.

While the candidates have been using similar language to appeal to undecided voters recently, their core approaches to the world's problems are VERY different.

What "valid" source indicated that?

As far as your 2nd paragraph what I said about 911 applies. Again, either approach isnt going to effect my daily life. So I stand by my statement.

There still isnt alot of difference between the two adminstrations. President Clinton took us into Kosevo without UN approval (which I agreed needed to be done). Whats the difference between that and doing the same with Iraq?

I'm not defending either party here. I'm just trying to point out that they really are not all that different when it boils down to it.

Last edited:
whoever said you shouldn't mix politics and music, "that's bullsh!t" - I'm paraphrasing someone, um, oh yeah, Lord Adam.

Again, either approach isnt going to effect my daily life.

Ah, now I undertand why you can't make out the difference. I stand my statement! Go Kerry!!!

Johnovox said:

Ah, now I undertand why you can't make out the difference. I stand my statement! Go Kerry!!!

Typical, glossed over everything else and quoted one part to fit your agenda!! :lol: Another person I know of that does that is Rush Linebaugh. I asked for valid examples of what you referred to and this is your response. I gave specific examples to prove my point. Do you see a difference there??

No big deal, I typically shy away from the political debates. I dont think I have ever posted in FYM. Not sure why I even responded to this thread. Continue to believe what you want and I will do the same. :) I think you would be surprised if you knew who I voted for. Difference being who I voted for is my business only and I dont feel the need to tell everyone about it.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Typical, glossed over everything else and quoted one part to fit your agenda!! :lol: Another person I know of that does that is Rush Linebaugh. I asked for valid examples of what you referred to and this is your response. I gave specific examples to prove my point. Do you see a difference there??

No big deal, I typically shy away from the political debates. I dont think I have ever posted in FYM. Not sure why I even responded to this thread. Continue to believe what you want and I will do the same. :) I think you would be surprised if you knew who I voted for. Difference being who I voted for is my business only and I dont feel the need to tell everyone about it.

No, I quoted the most relevant part. But, since you have now forced me to make a lengthy response, lets forget the quotes and summarize the exchange:

In your original post, you indicated that there is little difference between the two candidates or between the current and prior regime. I completely disagree. Your response is 9/11 changed everything (sounds familiar) and that there would be no difference between the current regime and one like the prior regime of the Clinton administration. I fail to understand your logic and continually point to the fact that the approach by the Bush administration is different from that which Kerry or Clinton would undertake, pointing out the Iraq war in particular. The obvious point not stated is that I do not believe Clinton or Kerry would have invaded Iraq.

In your next response, you refer to Kosovo as an example of why Clinton would have invaded Iraq. I disagree - Kosovo, while somewhat flawed, was a humanitarian effort to avert a genocide. The justification for the Iraq war was a response to 9/11 and to avert what the administration claimed was imminent threat from Iraq's WMDs. As we now know, there were no WMDs and no connection between Saddam and 9/11.

Your final point in this message is that no matter what happens, you do not believe that there would be any change between regimes for you personally. That is the statement you stand by and that is the quote upon which I responded to. The point being that despite evidence that indicates that there is a very real difference in the approaches of Clinton/Kerry versus the Bush administration, you rely on the point that it doesn't affect YOU. Your me, me, me attitude is what was quoted as it obviously summed up your argument and demonstrated your viewpoints, hence it is the quote I used in my brief response.

On your final point, I am sorry that you can't share your vote. Not me. Go Kerry!!!!!

Each candidate is holding serve. It gets pretty exciting once you get OH, PA, WI, MI, FL, and even VA. Bush is ahead in VA as well which is barely Bush.

Whoever wins will be appointing 3-4 new supreme court judges during his term and that will affect your personal, every day life. That worries me almost more than anything else.

I voted for Kerry but I don't think that he is going to resolve the situation in Iraq anytime soon. When we "liberated" the country, we further destabilized the region and, as a result, we'll be stuck there for the forseeable future. This means more lives lost (Iraqi and US) and countless billions spent for nothing.

155-112 Bush so far. They're still holding serve in their projected states of victory except Florida. Bush is ahead with 40% of the precincts counted.

Very tight race in OH, with Bush slightly ahead. Kerry will probably take PA by a wide margin.

bratty_cat said:
Whoever wins will be appointing 3-4 new supreme court judges during his term and that will affect your personal, every day life. That worries me almost more than anything else.

let that sink in....

a conservative/ultra-conservative supreme court. pro-choice supporters will not be the ones affected, this will affect everyone.

This is a very SCARY thought:(

Again, what is wrong with being labeled pro-life, I think there will remain a balanced Supreme Court as it should be. Maybe you should visit a clinic, before making a view. At least, we won't be recounting hanging chads.:|

BK

While I absolutely detest Bush with every fiber in my soul (I can't even stand looking that damn smirk the man constantly has on his face - it's as if he knows he's getting away with something), he's now Pres. again for 4 years. And there's only one good thing about this: he started the mess we're in, let's see him fix it. He started this war, let him end it. He started the breakdown with other countries, let him fix it. He started the huge tax breaks, let's see if this causes the economy to finally rebound. He pulled us out of Kyoto, let's see if this really helps or hurts both the environment and helps/hurts the economy of "poorer" nations (Bush's reason for pulling out). If he makes things worse in 4 years, you can bet we'll see a pretty strong revolt against Republicans in 4 years.

doctorwho said:
While I absolutely detest Bush with every fiber in my soul (I can't even stand looking that damn smirk the man constantly has on his face - it's as if he knows he's getting away with something), he's now Pres. again for 4 years. And there's only one good thing about this: he started the mess we're in, let's see him fix it. He started this war, let him end it. He started the breakdown with other countries, let him fix it. He started the huge tax breaks, let's see if this causes the economy to finally rebound. He pulled us out of Kyoto, let's see if this really helps or hurts both the environment and helps/hurts the economy of "poorer" nations (Bush's reason for pulling out). If he makes things worse in 4 years, you can bet we'll see a pretty strong revolt against Republicans in 4 years.

Even if I was absolutely disgusted at the results - really couldn't believe how the guy managed to pull it off with the sort of administration he provided the last 4 years - I agree that in a way it is a good thing that now it is up to him to fix things up. However I doubt that he's willing or able to do so and really I hope that having to put up with this sort of leadership for another 4 years is not too late for the US and the rest of the Western world. :(

??? Too much Michael Moore for you......too much liberal media brainwashing.....

the results are in, the people have spoken....

"Go Kerry"..... nowhere.

The partial birth abortion idea just opens the door to more "pro-choice" ideology being infiltrated......it's a relatively low amount of instances when the mother is in danger of losing her life vs. saving the baby's life. what needs to be examined is the idea of cherishing life. having a baby is an amazing thing. a human life being born out of the womb of a mother is not a "choice." it's a miracle from our Creator. I think the pro-choice camp is more out for themselves and their convenience to do whatever they want and not let something so annoying as a child get in the way of THEIR life. we should be so humbled to have the opportunity to give ourselves fully to the nurture of another human life.

seankirkland said:
??? Too much Michael Moore for you......too much liberal media brainwashing.....

the results are in, the people have spoken....

hell ya-im with ya on this one. the media was so infavor of kerry, they made it seem like bush was hitler or something, but its good to see that the majority of americans can see the truth and they voted right. 4 more years!

Back
Top Bottom