U2 DVD in B&W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cm

The Fly
So I quick grab the DVD at Best Buy yesterday and since I don't have a DVD player, I buy one of those also, and then since I have read that Component outputs are the best and my poor excuse for a TV doesn't have that I also buy a new TV.

So late last night I finally get to put it all together and play my $700 DVD (well worth it by the way) and it only plays the concert in Black & White. Is this everyones experience? I don't even have another DVD to try something else.

Let me know if this is the way it is or do I need to read the manuals tonight.

Thanks!!!!!!!

uh..there are parts in b+w and parts in color if i remember correctly.. reason i think this is because i can distinctly remember sparky's red and black pants.

[This message has been edited by Fritzy (edited 11-21-2001).]

Thanks for the replys!

I must be doing something wrong and since I know nothing about DVDs yet, I'm sure that is the case.

For people with experience with Component Interfaces from DVD directly to the TV is their any setup menus that I need to look for? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Curt

Component just means that the RGB channels are separate, meaning that it is better quality, but not a lot of TVs have this currently, unless it's expensive, but when the HDTV comes out, they will likely all be component in nature. Basically, it's built in to make sure your DVD player doesn't go obsolete in the next 10 years. Composite, which every TV has, combines the RGB channels into one signal. You can hook your DVD up to composite I'm sure.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Thanks for the info Melon but I do have component on both my DVD and my new TV.

I will read the TV & DVD manuals tonight. Maybe I have the rare B&W recording of the show?
smile.gif

um, do you have all the component inputs hooked up? If you don't, then you won't get all the color information. When everything's working, and you want to have some fun, you can unplug one of the inputs and see how the picture changes. (yeah, i'm easily amused, so what!)

Other than that, you might have a switch on your DVD player that chooses between component output or whatever other outputs you might have. I think my roommate's DVD player was like this. I remember trying to get it to work, but I'm not sure if we didn't get a picture at all at first or if it was black and white.
Either way, there might be a switch in the back of the DVD player. If there is, make sure it is switched to component.

[This message has been edited by lylas (edited 11-21-2001).]

Originally posted by Iron Chef MoFo:
Are you sure you bought a COLOUR TV?
wink.gif

*lmao*

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Colour? That's what it is, mine just says color.

Anyway, I should let everyone know I did get it to work in 'colour'. For those with JVC TVs; if you use the Component cables you must select in the menus that you are using Component and not Composit as it is set by default (should have read the manuals first).

The neat thing is that I now know how to watch my DVDs in B&W. I'm sure that will come in real handy.

Back
Top Bottom