U2 * Duets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr. zooeuss

War Child
Please help build this list of artists U2 (not Bono, not Edge, but all 4 as U2) have played with. I know I'm missing tons-

Studio Recording:

Bob Dylan
B.B. King
Green Day
Mary J. Blige
Johnny Cash
Brian Eno
Robbie Robertson
Willie Nelson
Leonard Cohen
Howie B
Luciano Pavoratti (sp?)

Live:

B.B. King
Green Day
Pearl Jam
Paul McCartney
Bruce Springsteen
Patti Smith

Recording:

Ronnie Wood
Keith Richards
(Silver and Gold)
Chrissy Hynde
Daniel Lanois (well you listed Eno)
Backing vocalists from Kid Creole and The Coconuts (on War)
Milla Jovovich
Craig Armstrong

Live:
Eddie Vedder
Shankar
Dave Stewart (telethon)
Natalie Imbrugila (telethon)
Bruce Springsteen
REM

Thanks, did all of U2 duet with REM, or just Adam and Larry on ONE in the early 90s?

If all of U2, what song was it?

And is that Ravi Shankar?

cheers

Thanks for the replies: if you would, please copy the list and update as we go, and add the song titles if you know them.

I think this will be a good way to let one another know what duets may be out there that we may not be aware of. cheers.

Studio Recording:

Bob Dylan - Love Rescue Me
B.B. King - When Love Comes to Town
Green Day - The Saints are Coming
Mary J. Blige - One
Johnny Cash - The Wanderer
Brian Eno - [something off 'Passengers']
Robbie Robertson - ?
Willie Nelson - ?
Leonard Cohen - Tower of Song
Howie B - [something off 'Passengers']
Luciano Pavoratti (sp?) - Miss Sarajevo
New Voices of Freedom - ISHFWILF
Singers from Kid Creole & the Coconuts - Red Light, Surrender
Steve Wickham - SBS, Drowning Man
Ronnie Wood
Keith Richards
(Silver and Gold)?
Chrissy Hynde - ?
Daniel Lanois - ?
Milla Jovovich - ?
Craig Armstrong - ?
Sinead O' Connor - ?
Mick Jagger(although never released) - SIAMYCGOO?

Live:

Eddie Vedder - ?
Shankar - ?
Dave Stewart (telethon) - ?
Natalie Imbrugila (telethon) - ?
REM - ?
B.B. King - When Love Comes to Town
Green Day - The Saints are Coming
Pearl Jam - Rockin' in the Free World (alt. lyrics)
Paul McCartney - Sgt. Peppers'
Bruce Springsteen - ?
Patti Smith - Instant Karma, ... ?
Gwen Stefani - ?
Brandon Flowers - ?
daniel lanois - ?
annie lennox - ?

Gwen Stefani - Whats Going On?
Brandon Flowers - In A Little While
Daniel Lanois - I belive, it was I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For on Zoo TV. But I'd dare say it wasn't their only duet.

Robbie Robertson - "Sweet Fire of Love(co-written by U2) and "Testimony" from his '87 album.

Willie Nelson - "Slow Dancing" - b-side to If God Will Send His Angels.

Howie B - "Elvis Ate America" from Passengers

Keith Richards - live version of Love Rescue Me, b-side of....I think it was Angel of Harlem.

Daniel Lanois - "Stateless" and "The Ground Beneath her Feet" were the two tracks from the MDH soundtrack that featured the whole band w/ Lanois. The other tracks featured Bono, Lanois and the MDH band. Larry and Adam also played on 2 tracks from his solo debut, Acadie(1989).

Milla Jovovich - Actually not with U2 proper, but Bono, Lanois, and the MDH band. Can't remember the track. Might've been a TGBHF alternative version.

Craig Armstrong - A few tracks over the years, mostly from the POP years.

Sinead O' Connor - "Don't Make Me A Thief of your Heart" from the In the Name of the Father soundtrack. Song written by Bono and his bud, Gavin Friday. Not a U2 track though. The Edge featured her waaay back before her success on his Captive soundtrack from the mid-'80's.

Billy Preston - hammond organ on "Hallelujah, Here She Comes" b-side from R+H.

Clannad - Bono vocal featured on "In a Lifetime" track from one of their mid-80's albums(arounf TUF-era). Can't remember name of album.

Last edited:
Didn't they do Falling at your Feet with Lanois?

And Eddie Vedder was Rockin' in the Free World on the Vertigo Tour.

Bruce Springsteen - People Get Ready (Vertigo), Stand by Me (Joshua Tree)

jedi Larry said:

Sinead O' Connor - "Don't Make Me A Thief of your Heart" from the In the Name of the Father soundtrack. Song written by Bono and his bud, Gavin Friday. Not a U2 track though. The Edge featured her waaay back before her success on his Captive soundtrack from the mid-'80's.

I'm Not Your Baby

jedi Larry said:
Robbie Robertson - "Sweet Fire of Love(co-written by U2) and "Testimony" from his '87 album.

Willie Nelson - "Slow Dancing" - b-side to If God Will Send His Angels.

Howie B - "Elvis Ate America" from Passengers

Keith Richards - live version of Love Rescue Me, b-side of....I think it was Angel of Harlem.

Daniel Lanois - "Stateless" and "The Ground Beneath her Feet" were the two tracks from the MDH soundtrack that featured the whole band w/ Lanois. The other tracks featured Bono, Lanois and the MDH band. Larry and Adam also played on 2 tracks from his solo debut, Acadie(1989).

Milla Jovovich - Actually not with U2 proper, but Bono, Lanois, and the MDH band. Can't remember the track. Might've been a TGBHF alternative version.

Craig Armstrong - A few tracks over the years, mostly from the POP years.

Billy Preston - hammond organ on "Hallelujah, Here She Comes" b-side from R+H.

Clannad - Bono vocal featured on "In a Lifetime" track from one of their mid-80's albums(arounf TUF-era). Can't remember name of album.

Just a two corrections, if I may :wink:

-Milla Jovovich Did Satelite Of Love off the MDH soundtrack

-The Sinead O' Connor track is actually - "You Made Me The Thief of your Heart

dr. zooeuss said:
Please help build this list of artists U2 (not Bono, not Edge, but all 4 as U2) have played with.

why not also Bono including -
would be interesting too to have a list with all the guys.

With U2 their was a guy on stage called Axl Rose (that was great) - during ZOOTV in germany.

elevated U2 fan
Just a two corrections, if I may

-Milla Jovovich Did Satelite Of Love off the MDH soundtrack

-The Sinead O' Connor track is actually - "You Made Me The Thief of your Heart

Thank you for those. Satellite of Love, that was it, not TGBHF. I think someone else also covers it too.

Bono also did a track on one of T-Bone Burnett's late '80's albums.

phillyfan

Didn't they do Falling at your Feet with Lanois?

Just Bono and Lanois.

I know Larry and Adam also recorded with other artists in the late '80's, Maria McKee was one I think. Let me check.

Last edited:
Oh, Larry and Adam also played on Nanci Griffith's '94 solo album "Flyer".

Then there's the MI theme song from '96 with Larry and Adam.

And the theme song to the Bond film Goldeneye was written by Bono and The Edge, with vocals by Tina Turner.

Larry also played on eight(!?) tracks for Emmylou Harris' '95 album Wrecking Ball, produced by Daniel Lanois.
So I guess we know where he was during Passengers. :p

Last edited:
I've heard the band's cover of that song, but not with Moore himself. Any recording of it?

Last edited:
Okay, the T-Bone Burnett tunes:

"Having a Wonderful time, Wish you were Her" from Under the Trapdoor. Co-written by Bono. But he doesn't sing on the track.

Purple Heart from Talking Animals. Co-written by Bono, with him featured on vocal.

A correction for Mary J Blige, as noted by a few others:

"One" is actually more live than studio. The cut you hear on her album was recorded live in Toronto at the ACC for the Katrina benefit. Of course, it was given a bit of studio treatment before it was released on her album, but it is mostly a live track.

And it also firmly belongs in the live category as one of the most performed live duets in terms of different times performed. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but only BB King and maybe Daniel Lanois have been onstage with U2 as many times. Not sure how many times they did Saints with Green Day, but I don't think it as yet has been as much as One w/MJB.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom