U2 doesnt move me anymore, what should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Seriously, U2 really doesnt float my boat quite like they used to. I dont know what the deal is. Maybe I've over listened to their stuff, maybe I dont like that kind of music as much anymore, maybe I'm sick of them, maybe I'm crazy.

I dont know though, when I do listen to U2, I like it. I just dont like it half as much as I used to. Same thing with a lot of my other old favorite bands (The Beatles, Radiohead, The Cure, Led Zeppelin). I can still listen to them all and I love it, but it doesnt rock my world like it used to.

I still say that U2 is my favorite band, but it scares me cause I realize that I would rather listen to about 100 other albums in my collection than listen to U2 these days. It scared me more when I was watching the Oscars and realized that I wasnt impressed at all with their performance. I found myself seriously not caring that they lost just because I thought their live version of Hands was completly uninspired, and even a little boring. It feels really odd to think that about U2.

I dont know what to do. I've tried forcing myself to listen to them, I've tried not listening to them for a while to see if I'll like it more later. Nothing has worked.

What should I do? I'm serious about this.

Last edited:
:shocked:

first of all that preformace of 'hands' was great, but i'm a completely diffrent person
I also went though something simalar with bootlegs, i was getting heaps of elevation show, at the time i only knew of U2's stuff from 2000.
then i went back and downloaded some bootlegs from lovetown and zoo tv, and i was back into them again!!
now that i've spent this post giving you my whole life story, i guess i should find something that will get you back into U2.

i guess when U2 tour again you should go see em, might
"re-inspire" you.

Last edited:
You're fine Elevated Soul. Seriously, I just want advice.

I bet that a new U2 album and tour would get me more into it, I would just like to feel like they're still my favorite band right now. Know what I mean?

yep, i undertand!

i listen to them everyday!, its hard for me not too!!
which is why i'm never allowed on the our radio station at school :wink:

but i'm still only a *new* fan really

but if the new albums good, and so is the tour, it might help you

Like Garth told Stacey about Wayne, "get over it and go out with somebody else"

:sigh: I sure do get tired of people saying things like this, and I have always thought, if you do feel this way, don't post it, just go find some other band's board that you like more. There is an EXCELLENT Led Zeppelin board at led-zeppelin.com

I think the problem with a lot of people here is burnout. Too much, all the time, for so long. My advice is, stay away from here for a month or two, stop listening to their CD's for that amount of time, and if you really like them and are only burned out, the old feelings will come back when you hear them again. That's worked for me for a lot of bands.

On the other hand, if you're one of these people who don't like them because you think they 'sold out' or whatever, that's not going to help. If you're just not happy with some stuff, listen to the things you do like. Either way, please don't complain about them all the time. If you're more into other bands, please, go to their boards, no need to hang around here whining about how unhappy you are with U2. Just move on, and one day if the spirit moves you, move back.

Desire4Bono, did you even read my post?

What's your problem? Why did you have to attack me and say crap about me that isnt true at all. No where in my post did I whine about U2. Every comment you made was so off topic I dont even know what to say to you.

I ask a serious question and you treat me like crap, that's great. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to answer this question because I've never been in your situation. True, there have been times when U2 released new material I wasn't crazy about, or at least not crazy about right away, but when that happened I always just listened to my old favorites and loved them just as much as ever. But I take it your problem is none of U2's material is doing it for you right now, right? In that case the only thing I can suggest is you take a break from listening to them for a while. Who knows, maybe one day you will get that urge to listen to them again out of the blue and fall in love with them all over again. Or maybe the new album will bring your love back.

u2popmofo said:
Desire4Bono, did you even read my post?

What's your problem? Why did you have to attack me and say crap about me that isnt true at all. No where in my post did I whine about U2. Every comment you made was so off topic I dont even know what to say to you.

I ask a serious question and you treat me like crap, that's great. Thanks a lot.

she went to the gypsyheartgirl school of fine wine.

just ignore her, its not that hard really.

as for mr. brau, that might be true, but surely you'd agree that the imperfections of the woman you love actually work towards setting her up and beyond everyone else - making her perfect. :wink:

Gickies Gageeze said:

as for mr. brau, that might be true, but surely you'd agree that the imperfections of the woman you love actually work towards setting her up and beyond everyone else - making her perfect. :wink:

Righto! Love makes almost everything endearing.

Serious Advice for Mofo..

take a break from them...if you don't feel like listening to them, then don't. There is nothing wrong with that and don't guilty about it. If you force yourself to listen to them it will only make it worse. After some time has passed then pop in an album that you haven't listened to in a while...it's really amazing how listening to something for the first time in a long time can make it seem fresh again.

I know the feeling...currently I'm on a U2 break right now...it's no big deal, it happens to everyone.

Daisy is right on the money :yes:

Take a break from everything U2...don't listen to their music, don't read any news, just remove yourself completely. It really does work...I did it a few months ago and I appreciate them now more than ever.

And it really isn't a big deal...you'd even get sick of your closest friend if you had to be with them day in and day out without a break.

first, please no one flame me for drawing parallels between listening to u2 and the barenaked ladies. i'm not saying that their music has done the wide rate of life-changing over as long a time as u2's music has. it just applies to the discussion.

u2popmofo, you saw me posting bits of barenaked ladies songs in randooom last night/this morning. i haven't listened to them in a while, because even though they were my favourite band (and still are in my top 5 favourites), the music was just getting old. overplayed in my cd player. not interesting anymore. ceased to blow my mind. you get the picture...anyway, you go listen to some afi, listen to audioslave, get a pouges album, spend some time with the clash essentials cd, come back to u2 in while and it will all sound much better.

and when you come back from your break, may i suggest listening to it really loud on good speakers or headphones. there are probably little parts in the song that you've either forgotten about. i'm assuming that if you had the thing playing in your head, you may not have every little extra guitar note, every drum fill, etc. being reminded of those things may cause the music to re-amaze you.

I agree with what a lot of you have said.

That happened to me with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers-still loved their music, but I think I went on overkill there for a while.

So I took a break, discovered some new bands (like U2), got into them, and then I started listening to some of my Tom Petty CDs again, and it was like a breath of fresh air. I hadn't listened to them in a while, so hearing all these songs again reminded me of why I fell in love with their music in the first place.

And I took a break from the Tom Petty boards for a while. I keep planning on checking that board, soon here I'll go back there and meet up with all those great people again.

Plus, it didn't hurt that that The Last DJ album came out last October-new album, new songs, and that helped, too (seriously, I love that album, I rank it up there as one of the band's best albums).

And while I don't take a total break from U2, there's certain songs or CDs I listen to constantly, and I'm getting that overkill feeling, so I take a break from those, listen to songs or CDs that I haven't listened to in a while or very often, and I get into those songs, then I go back to the ones I took a break from later on, and it sounds great again.

Plus, seeing as how I'm still a fairly new fan of U2, there's still a lot of songs out there I have not heard yet, so I download them, listen to them, get into them, and to me it's new, and it's something different to hear (which is one reason why I hooked on to the song "Stateless" right away-that and the fact that that song just kicks ass).

And then I'll read new things about U2, or a really neat article about one of the guys, or I'll see a new performance of theirs, and it'll get me all charged up again.

So, yeah, just take all the suggestions others have made-taking a break, maybe getting into other bands, other types of music, and so on and so forth. Then come back later on.

If you still don't feel the spark anymore after all that, then...:shrug:. That stuff happens. But this sort of thing happens in life with various people or bands or other things-Bono's American Wife is right, too-all my best friends-I love them to death, but would I get sick of them after a while, would they get on my nerves after a while, if they were around me 24/7? Yeah.

Anyway, if you try that stuff, hopefully the spark will return for you. Good luck. :).

Angela

I agree with the others - take a break. And I agree, "Hands" is a boring song. I enjoyed U2's performance on the Oscars though because I hadn't seen them play in a while.

I sometimes go weeks, hell months without listening to U2. Presently, I've got ATYCLB, Pop and War in my car. I maybe listen to one U2 song every other day. Maybe.

It's perfectly normal to listen to other bands and to be bored with U2.

I agree with most of the replies. I listened to U2 months on end, and I didn't listen to them for the next three or four months. Even the new singles didn't excite me, even though I thought they weren't half bad. I went out and bought the best of, spun it once, and left it. I picked up Achtung the other day and I actually had to brush dust off it.

The bottom line is, take a break from U2. There can be too much of a good thing. In the end, U2 isn't food or oxygen or water. You don't need U2 to survive (although I'm sure people will disagree).

I wish U2 would move me

into their summer house

ebbs and flows U2popmofo.
I have said before U2 are aquaeous, maybe they are tidal too.
You may have noticed, my musical taste is diverse. It's just how far you want to drift with it.U2 have an immense amount of great music for us to be anchored to.
Surf's up :)

Cass, that was one of the most fantasmulistically scrumtrulescant posts I've ever read. I salute you.

cass, that was nicely said. notice i just don't have a way with making up my own vocabulary like mofo does

Back
Top Bottom