U2 doesn't have to have #1 singles to be successful...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Over the duration of 20 years since the release of the Joshua Tree, which shot to #1 and had two #1 singles, U2 went on to keep recording, regardless of the critics, but only mainly for themselves.

Achtung Baby, #1
Zooropa #1
Pop #1
Bomb... #1

All in America.

But has there been a #1 single lately? No... but this doesn't mean U2 has lost that touch, rather, they went past the expected pop single that breaks a band out and wrote what they feel and reinvent themselves as.

Many fans are saying that U2 aren't as good as they used to be, but what's ironic, is that they show up at shows. The material on the album, Bomb is probably some of the strongest material they have done since War. People always picture Bono as the flag waver, but during Love And Peace Or Else, Bono dons a white headband for CoExistance.

Vertigo is reminiscent of the early 80s raw energy of U2. All Because Of You feels like an Achtung Baby outtake. Yahweh feels like a Joshua Tree anthem.

With U2 playing to nearly 3 million people this year, and perhaps another million or 2 next year, it shows that the band is nowhere near stopping. Showing critics and fans, that you can't just rely on old hits to retour again (think McCartney) but also giving strong material that provokes thinking, involvement and enjoyment. U2 writes for the new generation of fears, joys and tears. And they aren't stopping anytime soon...

theu2fly said:
Many fans are saying that U2 aren't as good as they used to be, but what's ironic, is that they show up at shows. The material on the album, Bomb is probably some of the strongest material they have done since War.

Vertigo is reminiscent of the early 80s raw energy of U2. All Because Of You feels like an Achtung Baby outtake. Yahweh feels like a Joshua Tree anthem.

I am not a fan of HTDAAB, but I am a longtime fan of U2 and so that's why I, among many fans, still show up to the concerts. I am there to support U2 because I love them as a band, even if I don't like the recent album.

ABOY is not weird sounding enough to be an AB outtake. More like a JT or a R&H outtake.

U2 built their reputation on their live shows, not their singles, or lack of #1 singles.

Read some interviews with them when they first started out, they didn't want to be a "singles" band.

It's one thing to have a #1 single, it's just that, one song. You have 4 albums going to number one, I'd say that's more of an achievement. That's just me though.

Not to mention the albums they've released that have gone to the top 5, even number 1 album, in the rest of the world.

Back
Top Bottom