U2 demand Bono stop political campaings - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2004, 02:49 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Earth to Blue Crack to Planet Fierce and back again
Local Time: 01:40 AM
U2 demand Bono stop political campaings

A friend sent me this, but I don't think its tru..does anyone know?

U2 Demand Bono Stop Political Campaigns
October 31, 2004, 11:20:05 U2 FURIOUS ABOUT BONO'S POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS

U2 are furious about frontman BONO's non-stop political campaigns and have urged him to cease his "self-indulgent" work.

The Irish rocker admitted guitarist THE EDGE was furious when he met American President GEORGE W BUSH and has told him to cease his work for AIDS causes and African famine victims, reports Britain's THE SUN newspaper.

Bono made the revelations in a candid interview with Britain's Prime Minister TONY BLAIR's former press chief ALASTAIR CAMPBELL for TV show ALASTAIR CAMPBELL INTERVIEWS BONO.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
War Child

This is not true.

Spreading rumors here is NOT a good idea.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Can't say I'd be disappointed if Bono handed the DATA torch to someone else who could get the job done and concentrate on his music.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:58 PM   #4
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:40 AM
This is called taking things out of context.

It's amazing what some journalists will do to get read.

What's sad is that people who don't read/hear every interview that Bono/U2 do might actually believe this shit.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:06 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Earth to Blue Crack to Planet Fierce and back again
I certainly don't think it's true either, but you are right whom ever does'nt know Bono will actually buy such a story!
Old 11-01-2004, 03:23 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Can't say I'd be disappointed if Bono handed the DATA torch to someone else who could get the job done and concentrate on his music.

I'm going to ignore the fact that you've said this, since you obviously don't really know what you're talking about....
Old 11-01-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
Refugee

what a load of bullshit, I watched the interview, yeah Bono mentioned some of the band's dislike of certain politicians but did not say it in the way the gutter press would have you believe!
Old 11-01-2004, 03:54 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue

I'm going to ignore the fact that you've said this, since you obviously don't really know what you're talking about....
I think I worded that wrong. I didn't mean he can't get the job done. I meant I wouldn't be disappointed if he passed the torch onto another person who's just as capable as him.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:14 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

I think I worded that wrong. I didn't mean he can't get the job done. I meant I wouldn't be disappointed if he passed the torch onto another person who's just as capable as him.
Ok, I can understand what you mean now. BUT this is where his heart is at though...this is something that he feels sense of personal responsibility towards and he feels that everyone has the same burden for this emergency in one capacity or another....and I am inclined to agree.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:16 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yeah you're right. If he feels he needs to do it then of course he should. But I wouldn't be disappointed if he didn't wanna do it hehe.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:31 PM   #11
Refugee

Some people will don anything for good copy. I'll bet they're pissed off that the world's biggest band has generated so little for tabloid fodder.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:28 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:40 AM
Both Edge and Adam have been quoted in recent years as supporting Bono in his advocacy for Africa, even if that takes him away momentarily from their music and even if the Edge winces everytime that Bono meets with a "dodgy" politician.

And even Larry gives his tacit approval of Bono's humanitarian work for Africa in the Vanity Fair article that just came out (the first time that I ever heard of Larry's tacit support of Bono's efforts).

So, this blurb is completely taken out of context and misrepresents the truth of U2's acceptance of Bono's advocacy efforts for Africa.

But thanks for letting us know what others are saying (even if it's not the truth).

THE GOAL IS SOUL....
Old 11-01-2004, 06:43 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:40 AM
yeah, this is really out of context. It almost seems an effort to depict the Edge as a heartless bastard
Old 11-01-2004, 06:46 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Let's rally the U2 Brute Squad......

It's amazing how a band with this damn near impeccable 25 year track record still getting dillweeds like this....
Old 11-01-2004, 06:55 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 08:10 PM
I'd be pissed off if I was the Edge. If I was Bono I would stop all the campaigning shit thats not really getting anywhere. You can't help all these people in need to get up off their feet when they don't have any ground to stand on in the first place. Personally, I really think all this 3rd world assistance is completely futile. There's not gonna be a revolutionary day where places like a Africa are suddenly liberated from their disease\poverty. Canceling millions and millions of debt isn't going to help, it's such a small fraction. They have to learn to help themselves, we've been trying to help them and been getting nowhere (let's face it). Leave them be. Callous am I? No. Realistic? Yes. Stick to a more worthwhile cause Bono, stick to U2.