U2 demand Bono stop political campaings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonoFox1

Blue Crack Supplier
Earth to Blue Crack to Planet Fierce and back agai
A friend sent me this, but I don't think its tru..does anyone know?

U2 Demand Bono Stop Political Campaigns
October 31, 2004, 11:20:05 U2 FURIOUS ABOUT BONO'S POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS

U2 are furious about frontman BONO's non-stop political campaigns and have urged him to cease his "self-indulgent" work.

The Irish rocker admitted guitarist THE EDGE was furious when he met American President GEORGE W BUSH and has told him to cease his work for AIDS causes and African famine victims, reports Britain's THE SUN newspaper.

Bono made the revelations in a candid interview with Britain's Prime Minister TONY BLAIR's former press chief ALASTAIR CAMPBELL for TV show ALASTAIR CAMPBELL INTERVIEWS BONO.

Can't say I'd be disappointed if Bono handed the DATA torch to someone else who could get the job done and concentrate on his music.

This is called taking things out of context.

It's amazing what some journalists will do to get read.

What's sad is that people who don't read/hear every interview that Bono/U2 do might actually believe this shit.:huh:

shart1780 said:
Can't say I'd be disappointed if Bono handed the DATA torch to someone else who could get the job done and concentrate on his music.

I'm going to ignore the fact that you've said this, since you obviously don't really know what you're talking about....

what a load of bullshit, I watched the interview, yeah Bono mentioned some of the band's dislike of certain politicians but did not say it in the way the gutter press would have you believe!

starsgoblue said:

I'm going to ignore the fact that you've said this, since you obviously don't really know what you're talking about....

I think I worded that wrong. I didn't mean he can't get the job done. I meant I wouldn't be disappointed if he passed the torch onto another person who's just as capable as him.

shart1780 said:

I think I worded that wrong. I didn't mean he can't get the job done. I meant I wouldn't be disappointed if he passed the torch onto another person who's just as capable as him.

Ok, I can understand what you mean now. BUT this is where his heart is at though...this is something that he feels sense of personal responsibility towards and he feels that everyone has the same burden for this emergency in one capacity or another....and I am inclined to agree.

Yeah you're right. If he feels he needs to do it then of course he should. But I wouldn't be disappointed if he didn't wanna do it hehe.

Some people will don anything for good copy. I'll bet they're pissed off that the world's biggest band has generated so little for tabloid fodder.

Both Edge and Adam have been quoted in recent years as supporting Bono in his advocacy for Africa, even if that takes him away momentarily from their music and even if the Edge winces everytime that Bono meets with a "dodgy" politician.

And even Larry gives his tacit approval of Bono's humanitarian work for Africa in the Vanity Fair article that just came out (the first time that I ever heard of Larry's tacit support of Bono's efforts). :up:

So, this blurb is completely taken out of context and misrepresents the truth of U2's acceptance of Bono's advocacy efforts for Africa.

But thanks for letting us know what others are saying (even if it's not the truth). :wink:

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

I'd be pissed off if I was the Edge. If I was Bono I would stop all the campaigning shit thats not really getting anywhere. You can't help all these people in need to get up off their feet when they don't have any ground to stand on in the first place. Personally, I really think all this 3rd world assistance is completely futile. There's not gonna be a revolutionary day where places like a Africa are suddenly liberated from their disease\poverty. Canceling millions and millions of debt isn't going to help, it's such a small fraction. They have to learn to help themselves, we've been trying to help them and been getting nowhere (let's face it). Leave them be. Callous am I? No. Realistic? Yes. Stick to a more worthwhile cause Bono, stick to U2. :|

Last edited:
Aussie....you need to learn a little bit more about the situation....it is a multi-faceted problem, and yes, education is a big part of that. And help IS going to countries that are trying to change the system...places like Sierra Leone aren't recieving help until they try to help themselves. But there is ALOT more to the story than simply that.

If Austrailia or Europe had the pandemic Africa is having...do you think for a second that world governments would be leaving them to self-implode or be restricted from medicines that the rest of the world has access to? The real issue that lies here is that alot of individuals don't see Africans as equals...

I'm sorry but to be born with a death sentence over your head simply because you were born in the wrong geographical area does not sit well with me at all.

Yes but can we really change THEM? Can we change these people? It's just my opinion but we should stop trying to thrust Western Ideals (eg. Western Education in these communities) amongst these cultures, eg. Africans. It just causes problems, LOADS of them. (Look at the Australian Aboriginies :ohmy: ). Don't try to influence these primitive cultures with our ideals, it just fucks everything up.

And yes, absolutely no one in this world is born equal, NO ONE! Some people have talents, some people have none. Some are born retarded, most aren't. People are born with death sentences over their heads, and you can't really do shit about it.
(Why the hell does Christianity teach that 'All people are born equal?' WTF?!) For instance, with the African culture, I really believe they are doomed. No amount of help from us can help them 'change themselves.' You can patch up a tear here or there, but the problem will remain completely unsolvable in the end IMO. I don't believe by making a drop in the ocean assistance for these people, that it really is worth it at all. Bono, you could have spent that time getting this album out a long time ago, rather than seeing a single child finally have access to education. But if he gets pleasure out of such things, what can I say? But If I was him, I'd concentrate on U2, this band can do SOOOO much more.

I want to see Jamila post now, we are the EXACT opposites of eachother. :hug: :hug: :heart: :wink: lol

Last edited:
Soooo Aussie, if your child or other loved one was dying from a condition that could be managed with proper medication and you took them took a local clinic and they told you that they didn't have it because after all, you don't have the right to medication based on your geographic location---you'd be ok with that?

I doubt it highly. It's funny that people who have these 'ideals' you do, aren't the ones dying and suffering....

Soooo Aussie, if your child or other loved one was dying from a condition that could be managed with proper medication and you took them took a local clinic and they told you that they didn't have it because after all, you don't have the right to medication based on your geographic location---you'd be ok with that?

No way, I'd be pissed off. But I'd accept it, like all the other shit in the world. Spending all this money trying to Westernize and liberate certain cultures when really deep down everyone knows it's a futile cause. I think money could be spent on other things. You and I both know damn well that in the end, they are doomed. We can keep pouring in all our resources so that one or 2 ppl may live a little while longer, but you can't change their damn culture. There will be problems implementing our ideals, I could give the example of the Aboriginal people. I could tell you what happened when they were disconnected from the land and assmillated into our society? HUGE problems. Same thing with African society. They're primitive, we are civilized, it's the way it was and it's the way it's always going to be.

Last edited:
Damn Bono. Working tirelessly to help those starving, and in extreme poverty. Trying to show the world the importance of the AIDS crisis around the world. It's SO "self-indulgent". It's all about the money with this guy!

martha said:

Bullshit.

Ummm, do I have a choice? Don't live in a fantasy world, sometimes you just have to accept things aren't right.

In relation to this AIDS stuff, sure we could get the medicine in for a huge cost, but that just gives buys a little more time before the inetivable. We'll live for a bit longer in this doomed country, but what the hell for? (from, for example, and Africans perspective)

Should move this to FYM, I think I sidetracked the topic again :wink:

Last edited:
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with u2 fans wanting Bono to quit his causes and hand the torch over to someone else. Some fans just want him to give his full attention to his real job and his bandmates. It took four years to make this album! And Bono recently admitted it would have taken two if he wasn't involved in Africa.

Don't get me wrong, as for me, I admire him greatly for his work in Africa and I hope he continues it. But I feel where other u2 fans are coming from. And I do get annoyed when people find out their my favorite band and the first thing they say is "Really? Bono does a lot of good work in Africa..." I like him cause hes a brilliant lead singer of the greatest rock band, I love his rock star ways, I love that he's a great family man but still goes out and gets hammered at local bars. I admire all of his work, but Africa is the last reason I love u2.

AussieU2fanman said:

No way, I'd be pissed off. But I'd accept it, like all the other shit in the world. Spending all this money trying to Westernize and liberate certain cultures when really deep down everyone knows it's a futile cause. I think money could be spent on other things. You and I both know damn well that in the end, they are doomed. We can keep pouring in all our resources so that one or 2 ppl may live a little while longer, but you can't change their damn culture. There will be problems implementing our ideals, I could give the example of the Aboriginal people. I could tell you what happened when they were disconnected from the land and assmillated into our society? HUGE problems. Same thing with African society. They're primitive, we are civilized, it's the way it was and it's the way it's always going to be.

I'm not talking about 'assimilation'....I'm talking about the basic human right to life. I find your willingness to roll over and accept unjustices as acceptable very disturbing.

"I'm rebelling against the idea that the world is the way it is and there is not a damn thing we can do about it. I'm trying to do, a damn thing" ~Bono

This world would be a much more beautiful place if people had the same visions of the potential humanity has as Bono does....

starsgoblue said:

I'm not talking about 'assimilation'....I'm talking about the basic human right to life. I find your willingness to roll over and accept unjustices as acceptable very disturbing.

"I'm rebelling against the idea that the world is the way it is and there is not a damn thing we can do about it. I'm trying to do, a damn thing" ~Bono

This world would be a much more beautiful place if people had the same visions of the potential humanity has as Bono does....

There are many things in this world we can fix, but we must be realistic as well as compassionate. In relation to this issue, I am strongly of the opinion that we are eternally fighting against the currrent that is way too powerful for us. We can keep pecking at the problem but it is definately unsolvable in my opinion. Stick with what we can solve.

starsgoblue said:

I'm not talking about 'assimilation'....I'm talking about the basic human right to life.

Well, in a sense it is (I probably didn't use the right phrasing). We are trying to convert these societies to our way of living, as I have mentioned before (in the forms of education, health care). In my opinion, they should have been left where they stand because they would have been much better off.

Being in a band might be Bono's job...but what's he's doing in Africa is something that everyone has a responsiblity towards. This isn't a U2 thing, a Bono thing....it's about DOING THE RIGHT THING.

Look at this picture from an Atlanta conference last year on the topic of Africa....this is a picture of a man that I've have always seen as larger than life and here he is in tears. And his heart has broken because he has seen the injustice of the situations in Africa, he has seen people laying ontop of each other in a hosptial bed waiting to die and being too sick to even try to cry, he has desparate parents asking him to take thier children because they know if their children were in another country they would live, he has seen whole communities deystroyed because there simply isn't anyone to farm, work, etc....and yet he sees the potential for social and physical healing in that country. To say that the situation in Africa is not something that we will have to answer for in years to come would be ignorant. I don't think Bono does this because he gets any sense of joy from this, he does it because he knows it's the right thing to do....And I defy anyone who dares to say Bono does this for his own sense of satisfaction and promotion after looking at this picture.

fo32v

Last edited:
Just a small point to note:

If Sir Bob hadn't started Live Aid and Bono hadn't gone to Africa would we know about all this? Most likely, no. That this discussion is even going on in this siutation amongst U2 fans is a testament to the B-man.

I agree with you in that the problem is not going to be fixed tomorrow, but if we don't "carry each other" then what is the point.

From my perspective there are two issues that Bono discusses

1. Aids
2. Reducing the debt of third world countries.

Now, I don't profess to know all the arguments, or any of the solutions, but one thing that Bono has said about the Aids crisis is that the necessary medicine is available and should be available to these people. To have children grow up without parents is appalling and to have children die from something that with a little education, could be prevented, is also. The fact that it supposedly costs so much is an argument that many companies/governments put up to avoid helping. Much of this cost could be easily written off (I know, I work in this industry). Aussie, believe me, if your child was dieing you would do whatever it took...

I agree with you that what has happened, and continues, to the aborigines in Australia is attrocious but to give up, stand back and do nothing is not something I would personally want to do. Many of the solutions, have not worked but some have and some will in the future. It is a case of respecting each others culture (both sides) and then working on an answer.

I believe that the more people discuss these events, the more we don't accept everything we are spoon fed via the mass media and the more we do for each other, the more chance all of us have. (Sorry if that sounds a little preachy). Who wants to live in a world where those who have not feel that the only way to get something is to fight for it?

I am sorry if this sounds simplistic, I know the problem is huge but if we could just stop for one day producing weapons, and put the money into producing a better life for these people, imagine what that could achieve.

As Bono has said "Don't mean to bug, ya..."

Back
Top Bottom