U2 demand Bono stop political campaings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First off some of you need to get off your damn computer...go outside and play or something.

Also I'm not going to take a stance on this whole argument but Aussie man does make some valid points and a LOT of other people in the world feel that way. It's good to be dreamers but sometimes the dreams run dry and that is a HARD HARD HARD fact of life. We are not living in a movie...the world is not scripted with a happy ending just waiting for someone to come by and trigger it.

I'm not saying that the supporters of Bono's advocacy in this thread are wrong either. I do applaud the man for his work and it's great, but yeah sometimes I wish he would get back to music. Not that I don't want him to NOT be political but that I think he's a great vehicle for bringing issues to the forefront but then, once he's done that, he should pass the torch and go back to music.

I suggest everyone in this thread read a book called "After Darwinism" (I believe that's what it's called). It presents a very real image of what we are as a species and our needs for survival.

I think in order to really solve these world problems (and I think, to a degree, that they are solveable) we need to change our image of ourselves. We need to get rid of human arrogancy and realize that in order to solve these problems there WILL be casualties and massive losses. We also have to live with the fact that sometimes the best you can do is stem the flow. Sometimes there isn't a happy ending.

You may say that I'm a dreamer....but I'm not the only one....:madspit:

It's funny how people will peg someone into a little box, as if an individual is only capable of doing one thing well in their lives...

Achtung Ya'll said:
We also have to live with the fact that sometimes the best you can do is stem the flow. Sometimes there isn't a happy ending.

No doubt that is the truth.

This is not directed at you Achtung Ya'll, but I do think that perhaps some of the detractors----not just here really, but just anti-Bono people in general----are perhaps blind to the fact that Bono does, in fact, have some pretty well thought out ideas on these issues.

Sometimes his soundbites and messages are delivered in a way that they sound almost trite, but in fact he and the people he works with are facing this issue in a very measured and rational manner. They do understand the brutal inhumanity of economics and that there are some "problems that cannot be solved."

To me it is just a central part of Bono's character that he believes that some things CAN be changed and SHOULD be changed. Is it slightly ludicrous that he thinks he can help to change it? Of course it is, but that combination of ego and idealism is what makes him Bono. He is NOT normal. And he IS making a difference.

As for the argument that we shouldn't push Western ideals on other cultures--give me a break. In Africa, the West has been imposing itself for hundreds of years, beginning with slavery and colonialism. We are the ones who screwed up the continent to begin with! We do have an obligation to help there.

I must say that it boggles my mind when people who are U2 fans argue against Bono's work with Africa. To me this means they are indifferent to human suffering. I just wonder what it is that attracts those people to a band whose entire existence is based on the opposite ideals.

Last edited:
Diemen said:
Jesus, aussie. We'll never fix it so screw em? If they can't fix it themselves, then why bother? Someone else's problem, not ours?

Just imagine what would've happened if these were the prevailing attitudes when Hitler was invading his neighbors...

Yeah, when I read his posts I was thinking "Wow, it's quite obvious that this kid has never met anyone dying of AIDS, has never been to Africa, and has never met anyone experiencing even HALF of the poor living conditions in much of Africa." I could get all mad and post a reply of Biblical proportions but I prefer to take such immaturity and ignorance with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Yeah, when I read his posts I was thinking "Wow, it's quite obvious that this kid has never met anyone dying of AIDS, has never been to Africa, and has never met anyone experiencing even HALF of the poor living conditions in much of Africa." I could get all mad and post a reply of Biblical proportions but I prefer to take such immaturity and ignorance with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Obviously you have no idea what I'm\you're talking about. Don't you think I know what goes on in Africa? I wasn't debating the appauling conditions at all. What relevance does this have to anything I said? :|

And on a side note, my comments here were clearly useless in the hands of unrealistic 'Heal the World with LOVE :hug::heart:' type people.

AussieU2fanman said:

Obviously you have no idea what I'm\you're talking about. Don't you think I know what goes on in Africa? I wasn't debating the appauling conditions at all. What relevance does this have to anything I said? :|

And on a side note, my comments here were clearly useless in the hands of unrealistic 'Heal the World with LOVE :hug::heart:' type people.

Hey, I totally understand what you're saying about "change=WESTERN" and I'm still trying to sort out how I feel about that, but seriously....

Leave them be. Stick to a more worthwhile cause Bono, stick to U2.

What the fuck?!?! A BAND is a more worthwhile cause than the lives of HUNDRES OF MILLIONS of people?!?! You need to get some sleep or stop drinking whatever you're drinking...And no, I DONT think you really understand much at all about what's going on in Africa. I don't care what you know about stats or economics or viral diseases....Let me put it this way, you mean to tell me that you could look a dying mother in the eyes and tell her you're gonna "leave her be" because your favorite band is a more "worthwhile" cause than her life and the lives of her starving children? eh? If you don't have the balls to look someone in the face and say it, than all you've got is a cowardly load of bullshit :shrug:

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Hey, I totally understand what you're saying about "change=WESTERN" and I'm still trying to sort out how I feel about that, but seriously....

What the fuck?!?! A BAND is a more worthwhile cause than the lives of HUNDRES OF MILLIONS of people?!?! You need to get some sleep or stop drinking whatever you're drinking...And no, I DONT think you really understand much at all about what's going on in Africa. I don't care what you know about stats or economics or viral diseases....Let me put it this way, you mean to tell me that you could look a dying mother in the eyes and tell her you're gonna "leave her be" because your favorite band is a more "worthwhile" cause than her life and the lives of her starving children? eh?

Again I'm getting bombarded with these individual examples of 'looking at some little dying kid in the eye and.....etc.'
I'm sorry to say this, but I strongly feel that the downfall of the African culture is inetivable. Darwinism makes sense to me, call me an asshole, but I'm just stating what I believe. We could help a couple of people relieve themselves of AIDS or give them a cookie or two, but in the end this will be futile IMO. And yes, I still stand by my original statement, U2 can do so much more as musicians than trying to save hundreds of millions of people whose lives are inetivably going to fall into the hands of nature sooner or later.

Hey thanks! Now I've got some "individual examples" for the loads-of-shit section for an upcoming term paper. :up:

Aussie, you really don't know what you are talking about. Your fatalism is very discouraging. Maybe someday this theory of 'Darwinism that is unresponsive to human efforts' will someday bite you in the ass, and I'm sure you won't take that lying down. You seem to paint me and other supporters of this issue as bleeding heart liberals--that has nothing to do with it. It is about doing the right thing. I doubt you'd pass a dying man in the streets, why would you ignore a whole dying country in good conscience?

Last edited:
u2bonogirl said:
geeze people
if we dont stop tearing each others throats out then u2 fans will be in as much danger as the AIDS victims

U2Bonogirl...I'm not tearing at anyone's throats. I just find the apathy very heartbreaking. And I truly believe that it is rooted in miseducation but whatever... I've said my peace and I'm still doing my part---because it's the people that believe they can make a difference who actually do.

stars, I just want to encourage you to get involved in DATA's efforts in your area, especially with The ONE Campaign. (http://www.theonecampaign.org)

I am volunteering my time for them in my area and have been receiving more and more enthusiastic responses from the people I meet in my community at different venues I attend. :up:

I have been getting so many positive responses from people in my community in regards to finding ways to help Africa in her greatest time of need, that I have just received an invitation to speak on the AIDS pandemic in Africa and The ONE Campaign at a local church's community forum at the end of November.

What makes this so cool is that it will be broadcast on local access TV so the message of The ONE Campaign will be given some TV airtime!(God willing.... :angel:)

So, keep up your dedication to helping to make the world a better place, especially for the poorest people on earth, stars. You will not regret choosing to get involved.

I wish you well.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU'RE DREAMING. IT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DO.... :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Jamila said:
stars, I just want to encourage you to get involved in DATA's efforts in your area, especially with The ONE Campaign. (http://www.theonecampaign.org)

Thanks, love. Me and my "loveydovey' self :)rolleyes: ) are volunteering with a ONE rally in Columbus on the 15th! I'm looking forward to it because I have encountered alot of people who are truly concerned about this emergency and have admited they just don't know enough about the situation but they've been more than willing to learn...

I know I'm not unrealistic in my hopes, unlike some believe, perhaps they say that because they can't get off their own butts to do anything that isn't self-gratifying...

AussieU2fanman said:
You can't help all these people in need to get up off their feet when they don't have any ground to stand on in the first place. Personally, I really think all this 3rd world assistance is completely futile. There's not gonna be a revolutionary day where places like a Africa are suddenly liberated from their disease\poverty. Canceling millions and millions of debt isn't going to help, it's such a small fraction. They have to learn to help themselves, we've been trying to help them and been getting nowhere (let's face it). Leave them be. Callous am I? No. Realistic? Yes. Stick to a more worthwhile cause Bono, stick to U2. :|

Excuse me but that i disagree with what appears to be a myopic opinion. Countries like Africa, and some other third world countries like mine appreciate efforts being done by the likes of Bono. He already said it before, that the reason why he's doing this crusade is, among other things, to cancel debts that were otherwise misused by political leaders... and some of these leaders have had the support of some lenders themselves in exchange of getting the support of that leader more often the
lender's chosen one or anointed one. Take the case of Afghanistan. My own country has sought moratorium on certain loans in the not so recent past. All because of loan payments that are eating up at least 40% of the national income. Africa for one is suffering not just because of politics , but a combination of a lot of things including geography (read droughts). Bono knows his facts better than you or I or probably anyone in this thread. And that is why he is into this crusade. The best that we can do is support a good cause or at least support the man for what he believes in. Did he not say in one of his speeches or interviews, that the worst action n cases of emergency is inaction (something to that effect). Let's just support the man. It's not easy being caught between perfecting one's craft, being a good father and husband, and trying to save the world.

Sorry for the thread necromancy...

caragriff said:

No doubt that is the truth.

This is not directed at you Achtung Ya'll, but I do think that perhaps some of the detractors----not just here really, but just anti-Bono people in general----are perhaps blind to the fact that Bono does, in fact, have some pretty well thought out ideas on these issues.

Yes this pisses me off so much. It's not like he's just some guy that is like "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME WE NEED TO HELP AFRICA LOOK AT ME!" and then when he is called on it he can't actually deliver...it's the opposite in fact. He actually has angles and methods to help solve the problems he champions.

Sometimes his soundbites and messages are delivered in a way that they sound almost trite, but in fact he and the people he works with are facing this issue in a very measured and rational manner. They do understand the brutal inhumanity of economics and that there are some "problems that cannot be solved."

To me it is just a central part of Bono's character that he believes that some things CAN be changed and SHOULD be changed. Is it slightly ludicrous that he thinks he can help to change it? Of course it is, but that combination of ego and idealism is what makes him Bono. He is NOT normal. And he IS making a difference.
I agree with everything said here.

As for the argument that we shouldn't push Western ideals on other cultures--give me a break. In Africa, the West has been imposing itself for hundreds of years, beginning with slavery and colonialism. We are the ones who screwed up the continent to begin with! We do have an obligation to help there.
agree here...

I must say that it boggles my mind when people who are U2 fans argue against Bono's work with Africa. To me this means they are indifferent to human suffering. I just wonder what it is that attracts those people to a band whose entire existence is based on the opposite ideals.

Well I can't say I necessarily agree...I mean I agree with your ideal but the world isn't black and white and someone saying that maybe Bono should concentrate on U2 instead of AIDS relief in Africa doesn't necessarily make me think that that person is some evil baby eating life hater. I mean people have their own reasons for believing what they believe and although we may disagree with Aussiefan's take on Africa (or at least U2's involvement in it) I don't think he deserves the burning at the stake he's getting. I seriously doubt, no matter what it might sound like, that he's just "screw it! fuck 'em!"

Sometimes things in ones own lives skew our vision and conception of certain problems. One of those is definitely distance. Apathy is a common by-product of being distanced from the problem. And sometimes something has to happen in ones life to changes their opinion on certain things.

I guess all I'm sayin' is that it's unfair to give aussiefan the slashing he's getting.

edit: The best thing I've read on a bathroom wall was "Remember to be kind...everyone is fighting their own personal battles." So just remember that if someone is doing something that seems ludicrous it's likely not as simple as "that person is an asshole." Strange and stressful times in ones lives cause people to do things they normally wouldn't and often look, to outsiders who don't have an inside view of things, ridiculous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom