U2 Dance Remixes: Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starvinmarvin

Refugee
I've never understood U2's illogical desire to remix their songs umpteen million times; for every A-side we have 4 or 5 different mixes, all of which are a inferior to the original. The world certainly doesn't need another "Solar Plexus" mix, or another "Bono Taking A Pee In The Shower" mix, or any of the other daftly named mixes that pop up on the band's singles with alarming regularity.

What do you think? Does anyone actually PREFER these remixes to the original versions?

They're not all bad. Some are quite good.

EBTTRT(V16 Exit Wound Mix)
Salome(Zooromancer Remix)
Who's Gonna Ride(Temple Bar Mix)
Mysterious Ways(Massive Attack Remix)
Lemon(Bad Yard Club Mix)
Lemon(Perfecto Mix)
Stay(Underdog Mix)
Dirty Day(Bitter Kiss Mix)
Discotheque(Hexidecimal Mix)
Discotheque(DM Deep Extended Club Mix)
Staring At The Sun(Monster Truck Mix)
Elevation(Influx Mix)
Vertigo(Redanka Power Mix)

Among others.

starvinmarvin said:
I've never understood U2's illogical desire to remix their songs umpteen million times; for every A-side we have 4 or 5 different mixes, all of which are a inferior to the original. The world certainly doesn't need another "Solar Plexus" mix, or another "Bono Taking A Pee In The Shower" mix, or any of the other daftly named mixes that pop up on the band's singles with alarming regularity.

What do you think? Does anyone actually PREFER these remixes to the original versions?

:lmao: you mean you don't think the 14:33 "Acrobat (Bono Taking A Pee In The Shower Remix)" is better than the original? :wink:

most of the remixes suck, but there are some exceptions. I actually DO prefer the "Solar Plexus Club mix" of Mysterious Ways... it has cooler drums and more guitar. it's a funkier song, a little more like the live versions but overall not even that different from the album version. The "Extended dance mix" of Lady With the Spinning Head is sublime. Those are probably the only two I actually prefer, but I do like some others. The Monster Truck remix of Staring at the Sun is badass. It has the techno feel of Discotheque, DYFL, and Mofo. The Big Yam mix of IFGWSA and the Junk Day mix of Dirty Day are fun too (I love how Bono screams "WAKE UUUUP" and the guitar screams with him). And the Elevation Influx remix is spiffy. However, when it comes to 10 minute "dance" versions of U2 songs (*coughdiscothequecough*), I'm generally not too enthused. Though I did listen to my Discotheque single about a million times, but I also bought that when I was in third grade, and at that point it seemed perfectly logical to listen to Discotheque in as many forms as possible - the longer the better, right? Even if the first and last 2 minutes is just some generic techno beat.

Dance remixes suck.

I can't even tell which titles here are jokes. :crack:

Er yeah...topic. There are some that are pretty good, most of which have been named I think. I like Desire (Hollywood remix) a lot. I can't think of any I prefer to the original songs though. Why there are hundreds of these with inane titles, I have no idea.

I almost totally agree with Marvin. Surprise surprise, bet everyone's shocked. Yeah, anyway.

Normally I reckon these mixes are a complete waste of CD space and whatever few seconds of my time I use listening to it before I decide it's rubbish and skip to the next track. What purpose do these remixes serve? It's annoying.

Except in the case of five. There are five remixes I actually like, and three I consider better than the original. They are (italics for the ones I consider better):

1. Wire (Dub Mix)
2. Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)
3. Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix)
4. Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss)
5. I'm Not Your Baby (Skysplitter Dub)

And Last Night On Earth (First Night In Hell Mix) sucks intensely but it's fun for scaring people.

Axver said:
I almost totally agree with Marvin. Surprise surprise, bet everyone's shocked. Yeah, anyway.

Normally I reckon these mixes are a complete waste of CD space and whatever few seconds I waste listening to it before I decide it's rubbish and skip to the next track. What purpose do these remixes serve? It's annoying.

Except in the case of five. There are five remixes I actually like, and three I consider better than the original. They are (italics for the ones I consider better):

1. Wire (Dub Mix)
2. Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)
3. Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix)
4. Dirty Day (Bitter Kiss)
5. I'm Not Your Baby (Skysplitter Dub)

And Last Night On Earth (First Night In Hell Mix) sucks intensely but it's fun for scaring people.

You're missing out by not giving those other mixes I listed above a chance. They are really not that bad.

Oh, I actually like Dirty Day (Junk Day) mix alot. I forgot about that one...the Desire Hollywood remix is OK too

There's a remix of Wire? I've never heard of such a thing...sounds interesting.

namkcuR said:
They're not all bad. Some are quite good.

EBTTRT(V16 Exit Wound Mix)
Salome(Zooromancer Remix)
Who's Gonna Ride(Temple Bar Mix)
Mysterious Ways(Massive Attack Remix)
Lemon(Bad Yard Club Mix)
Lemon(Perfecto Mix)
Stay(Underdog Mix)
Dirty Day(Bitter Kiss Mix)
Discotheque(Hexidecimal Mix)
Discotheque(DM Deep Extended Club Mix)
Staring At The Sun(Monster Truck Mix)
Elevation(Influx Mix)
Vertigo(Redanka Power Mix)

Among others.

Is the Wild Horses (temple Bar Mix) the same as the one used in the video? The stripped down, semi-acoustic version? If it is, I like that one better than the album version.

starvinmarvin said:

Is the Wild Horses (temple Bar Mix) the same as the one used in the video? The stripped down, semi-acoustic version? If it is, I like that one better than the album version.

Yes, it is. It was the version on the single. There were actually two of them on the single. One is the Temple Bar Mix, and the other is the same thing, but edited - The Temple Bar Edit.

I guess U2 were just into the 90's dance culture that much and I guess the many dance mixes were great for DJ's to spin at clubs? I don't know. I can't dance.

starvinmarvin said:

Please no. I don't understand what people don't like about the album version of Wild Horses. It's one of my fave U2 songs. I can't stand the temple bar remix or edit.

I think both Until The End Of The World (when played live) and Wild Horses (Temple Bar Mix) are improved from the album version. They're played in a lower key, IIRC.

Also EBTTRT V16 Exit Wound Mix, and Elevation (Influx Mix) are worth mentioning.

starvinmarvin said:
There's a remix of Wire? I've never heard of such a thing...sounds interesting.
It's a dub mix, which means it's just the regular version with the vocals removed (well, there are some backing vocals retained).

Night and Day (steel string mix? I think it's called) it's on the One single is awesome. I think the best one by far, is the one they actually used in a concert, Lemon Perfecto and Lady With the Spinning Head is probably 3rd on my list.
One of the EBTTRT mixes is cool, the Disco mix with Bono rapping is cool. That's 5.

Toss all the rest.

Does anyone like the Mofof Phunk Phorce mix? I really love that one:wink: ooh and the New York Nice Mix i reckon is also better than the original album version.

I like (in no particular order):

1. LWTSH (extended dance mix)
2. EBTTRT (perfecto)
3. Dirty Day (Junk Day)
4. Lemon (Jeep mix)
5. Vertigo (Jacknife Lee)
But then for 1,3, and 4 I've not heard the originals. I don't prefer 5 to the original but sometimes I'd rather listen to 2 than the original and other times I wouldn't.

Ones I don't reckon a lot to (in no particular order):

1. Discotechque (Hexidecimal mix)
2. Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Club mix)
3. Salome (Zooromancer)
4. IGWSHA (Big Yam mix)
5. Happiness is a warm gun (The Gun mix)

I like the remixes of Dirty Day a lot, I love that song and the Bitter Kiss remix is awesome.

But my favourite it's Lady with the spinning head, extended dance mix

:rockon: :dance: ::dancing: :bow:

U2 Remixes can be good at dance parties, ther're fun to dance to. The when love comes to town remix is one of my faves and also Mofo (Matthew Roberts Explicit Remix) is good too. Otherwise I prefer U2 originals anyday.

Neenie said:
U2 Remixes can be good at dance parties, ther're fun to dance to. The when love comes to town remix is one of my faves and also Mofo (Matthew Roberts Explicit Remix) is good too. Otherwise I prefer U2 originals anyday.

Ohhhh I so love the Mofo (Matthew Roberts Explicit Remix)... It's hot! :drool:

On the Best of, I like the Mysterious ways and Lady with the spinning head remixes.
Also good are Who's gonna ride your wild horses and Elevation Tomb raider mixes.

let's be honest, this thread was created solely to allow Marvin to showcase his 'Bono Peeing in the Shower' line... :wink:

I can't stand the dance remixes, waste of time, it also shows U2 haven't really recorded much else worth listening to...otherwise the last three-four singles would have been filled with worthy original material. Just look at how productive they were recording Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree, a flood of B-sides, all of which were superb! :ohmy:

U2DMfan said:
the Disco mix with Bono rapping is cool.

The Howie B Hairy B mix? that mix scares me :laugh: I couldn't believe it was actually Bono doing that rapping until I heard a live version where he does it... he sounds totally different!!

at least we know B-man would make a hardcore rapper :wink:

The New York (Nice Mix) as someone mentioned is pretty bitchin'. Possibly better than the original...I wish they would have put the solo in from the live version though!! :drool:

I admit I really like the Happiness is a Warm Gun (The Gun Mix). I think it sounds badass. I know most people don't like U2's cover of Happiness is a Warm Gun but I think this version is dark and dirty and spiffy... I haven't actually heard the original version of the cover, on what single or whatever did it appear? (I have the Beatles original of course, :heart: the White album).

I haven't heard the Explicit mix of Mofo but the other mixes I previewed on iTunes and they seemed like pointless 8-minute versions of an already-techno song that made it sound like every other techno dance song.

The Vertigo remixes aren't bad, though they're obviously not better than the original. The Jeep Mix of Lemon is pretty cool but it can't come close to the original... it's interesting though, I think it gives us an idea of what Lemon would be like if some other band made it. I don't know WHAT band, but...:p

The Mofo (Phunk Phorce Mix)
Wild Horses (Temple Bar Mix)
New York (Nice Mix)
and
Numb (Gimme Some More Dignity Mix) are all pretty good in my book

I'm still undecided which version of Wild Horses is better...

Back
Top Bottom