U2.com Subscription Renewal Gift?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How come all us suckers that joined the U2 fan club and experienced the pre-sale fiasco did not get together and look for compensation. Even 12 year old's figured it out.

'Hannah Montana' tickets fuel lawsuit

11/13/2007 7:05 PM, AP
John Gerome

Thousands of "Hannah Montana" fans who couldn't get concert tickets could potentially join a lawsuit against the teen performer's fan club over memberships they claim were supposed to give them priority for seats.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of a New Jersey woman and anyone else who joined the Miley Cyrus Fan Club based on its promise that joining would make it easier to get concert tickets from the teen star's Web site.

Cyrus, 14, is the daughter of country singer Billy Ray Cyrus and star of the Disney Channel's "Hannah Montana" TV show.

Her sold-out "Best of Both Worlds Tour" is the hottest concert ticket of the year, with shows selling out in as little as four minutes and scalpers getting four or five times face value.

The class-action lawsuit names Interactive Media Marketing Inc. and Smiley Miley Inc. as defendants and seeks triple damages for all members of the lawsuit and attorneys' fees. The plantiff doesn't yet know the size of the class, but based on the popularity of the Web site, it could number tens of thousands of people, according to the lawsuit.

"They deceptively lured thousands of individuals into purchasing memberships into the Miley Cyrus Fan Club," plaintiffs' attorney Rob Peirce said. His Pittsburgh firm and a Memphis firm filed the suit Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Nashville.

The fan club costs $29.95 a year to join, according to the lawsuit, which alleges that the defendants should have known that the site's membership vastly exceeded the number of tickets.

Neither of the listed agents for the two companies based in Nashville could be immediately reached for comment Tuesday. Message left for Smiley Miley Inc. were not immediately returned.

Cyrus' publicist, Meghan Prophet, said in a statement that fan club members had an opportunity to buy pre-sale tickets, and more than 70,000 club members obtained them as a result of their membership.

"The Mileyworld Web site expressly states that Mileyworld does not guarantee every member a concert ticket," Prophet said. "Mileyworld members had far greater access to concert tickets than the general public and other fan clubs, and the claim that the vast majority of Mileyworld members were unable to obtain concert tickets is simply false."

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Kerry Inman, a New Jersey woman who claims that she tried to log into the site to buy tickets to Cyrus' Atlantic City, N.J., performance at the moment the tickets went on sale and was unsuccessful.

The Web site does not guarantee ticket availability, but represents that members who log on shortly after tickets become available will have a good opportunity to get them, according to the lawsuit.

On TV, Cyrus plays high school student Miley Stewart, who lives a secret double life as a famous pop star, Hannah Montana. Her show reaches 5 million viewers a week.

Assuming that Cyrus's people worded their terms and conditions as outlined in this article, I don't see how this lawsuit can succeed. Anyone with access to this sale was basically paying for the opportunity to purchase tickets, not a guarantee that they'd get them. As is always the case with these sorts of things, the website in question was probably inundated with huge amounts of hits at the same time, and while many people were obviously disappointed, many were also successful. These events are still no more than glorified lotteries in the final analysis. Even speaking as someone who's been involved in similar situations, I think that getting the lawyers involved is an overreaction.

However, if this lawsuit were to somehow succeed, there could be huge implications for presales and fanclubs across the industry.

So, I called Fanfire because the website isn't letting me renew (it tells me I need to--my account's expired--and lets me update my information, but won't let me actually renew :huh: ). Anyway, I asked what the subscription gift is, and the lady said:

- Slane Castle cd
- a t-shirt

Utoo said:
So, I called Fanfire because the website isn't letting me renew (it tells me I need to--my account's expired--and lets me update my information, but won't let me actually renew :huh: ). Anyway, I asked what the subscription gift is, and the lady said:

- Slane Castle cd
- a t-shirt

Why not just give us something we can use (a comb, a quarter, lawn trimmings) instead of something we already have 62.546 copies of? :shrug:

LemonMelon said:

Why not just give us something we can use (a comb, a quarter, lawn trimmings) instead of something we already have 62.546 copies of? :shrug:

You SO have not gone to college yet, otherwise you'd know the value of a t-shirt. :tsk:

Utoo said:

You SO have not gone to college yet, otherwise you'd know the value of a t-shirt. :tsk:

I already have a U2 t-shirt. :tsk:

The only way I would possibly consider signing up is if this was the t-shirt:

picture-4.jpg

Come on, guys...that's worth at least $40. :drool:

U2.com is frustrating for me i was a paid member and a member of their old fanclub i guess in total for 4 or 5 years until last year when i made the mistake of moving and trying to let them know..and now i can't even become a paid member because somehow my credit card has become invalid...i tried calling Fanfire...they said they would get back to me but have not tried writing the mods at U2.com but they don't help either.
This site has become nothing but a problem now...you think since i was a member of U2's old fanclub it wouldn't be a problem but it seems Fanfire couldn't care less about anyone...so right now i'm in limbo as what to do..i feel like writing an email and telling them off...but somehow i doubt that would even do anything...ohh well i guess one day when i have the time i will try again ...

LemonMelon said:

I already have a U2 t-shirt. :tsk:

The only way I would possibly consider signing up is if this was the t-shirt:

picture-4.jpg

Come on, guys...that's worth at least $40. :drool:

:lmao: :lmao: :bow:

thanks for posting this!

ramblin rose said:

wow!
i have to say that I am impressed!
on the same day that we get an awesome Deluxe JT remaster with new songs, a never before seen video and a sick DVD... they bust this out!

all of us were expecting a CD of a show we already have and they throw in a free t-shirt!

all 3 shirts are pretty cool, I hesitated between the first 2, but ended up getting the first one.

ramblin rose said:

Ouch, and they raised the regular subscription fee to $45.00, (seems the renewal is still $32.00)

yeah, at least they aren't fucking the fans that have renewed every year... I think it's $45 for new members since there are 2 gifts this time.

$32 for a CD and t-shirt ain't too shabby, considering the fact that most U2 shirts are $30 already!!! ;-)

giddyap said:

Boy 180gm Vinyl

Where's this? :ohmy:

So this is why I had trouble resubscribing last night---they were revamping that part of the site.

Hmmm....now under FAQ, in answer to the question "Will I receive ticket presale codes?" the answer is "Will I receive ticket presale codes?" :eyebrow: Just a few days ago, the answer was along the lines of "no." There's not an answer there now, but it's been altered.......

45 dollars per year
4 years between tours
180 dollars for a "chance" to get tickets to a concert (plus the actual price of the concert tickets)

you're better off just going to a scalper

Frank the Tank said:
45 dollars per year
4 years between tours
180 dollars for a "chance" to get tickets to a concert (plus the actual price of the concert tickets)

you're better off just going to a scalper

if you are going to be that pessimistic (and ignore all the free gifts, that if you were such a money-grubber you could resell on eBay) at least do the math at the $32 a year renewal rate:

$32 x 4 years = $128
for a "chance" to get multiple tickets to U2 shows

(I got 6 tickets through U2.com presales last tour, on 3 different legs)
that comes out to a $21.33 surcharge per ticket, which for GAs ain't bad since I actully enjoy the free gifts and used the 25% coupon for my Hawaii t-shirt making it cheaper than buying it at the show.

But my @U2.com email address is not worth a damn penny, they should actually pay those of us who still try to use it!

But I do hope that scalpers think like you do:
"it's not worth me buying a U2.com subscription to scalp tickets" maybe that's why they increased it to $45 for non-subscribers... i dunno

Last edited:
[q]U2 Go Home’ Disc 1

1. ELEVATION - Listen to a clip
2. BEAUTIFUL DAY
3. UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD
4. NEW YEAR’S DAY
5. OUT OF CONTROL
6. SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
7. WAKE UP DEAD MAN
8. STUCK IN A MOMENT YOU CAN’T GET OUT OF
9. KITE
10. ANGEL OF HARLEM
11. DESIRE

‘U2 Go Home’ Disc 2

1. STARING AT THE SUN
2. ALL I WANT IS YOU
3. WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME
4. PRIDE (IN THE NAME OF LOVE)
5. BULLET THE BLUE SKY*
6. WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
7. ONE - Listen to a clip
8. WALK ON
9. MYSTERIOUS WAYS[/q]

How hard would it have been to edit MW back into its proper place in the setlist?

bort269 said:

if you are going to be that pessimistic (and ignore all the free gifts, that if you were such a money-grubber you could resell on eBay) at least do the math at the $32 a year renewal rate:

$32 x 4 years = $128
for a "chance" to get multiple tickets to U2 shows

(I got 6 tickets through U2.com presales last tour, on 3 different legs)

You're right I got 8 tickets in total for 3 legs. Let's see I was able to get 2 tickets for the 1st leg (3/28 SD & 5/24 Boston), 2 Leg 4 tickets to Barcelona, 6 tickets for the 3rd leg (2 - 10/8 NY, 2 - 11/14 Miami (traded one for 11/13), 1-11/4 Las Vegas, 1-11/5 Las Vegas).

Those presale codes were magical. :wink:

Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I just went through the process of renewing and I found out something cool. I got to the checkout screen that itemizes your order and noticed the field where you enter your discount coupon that you get for subscribing. I didn't use mine for last year, so I dug it up and typed it in just for the heck of it.... It worked!! I am now re-enrolled for the low, low price of $24.

I just saved another $8, so suck on that Fanfire, you'll never be Propaganda!!!!

Clark W. Griswold said:
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I just went through the process of renewing and I found out something cool. I got to the checkout screen that itemizes your order and noticed the field where you enter your discount coupon that you get for subscribing. I didn't use mine for last year, so I dug it up and typed it in just for the heck of it.... It worked!! I am now re-enrolled for the low, low price of $24.

I just saved another $8, so suck on that Fanfire, you'll never be Propaganda!!!!

Way to stick it to the man Griswold! :rockon:

Give my love to Cousin Eddie and Uncle Louis btw...

Clark W. Griswold said:
Hey everyone,

thanks for that info , I was wondering about that discount coupon I still have mine also . :ohmy:

Clark W. Griswold said:
Hey everyone,

Yeah, it worked for me too. I hadn't used it either since there was nothing else in the u2.com shop to use the coupon on.

Does anyone know if they're allowing lapsed members to renew at a reduced rate (I think my last sub ended fall of '05), or do you have to have been a member last year?

lazarus said:
Does anyone know if they're allowing lapsed members to renew at a reduced rate (I think my last sub ended fall of '05), or do you have to have been a member last year?

My guess is that you have to be directly renewing. My subscription expired 6 days ago & they let me resubscribe at the reduced rate. Sucks for me, though, that my coupon expired 6 days ago, too. :sigh:

Clark W. Griswold said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the reminder. I just noticed that my coupon would've expired tomorrow. Now I put it to use at the last moment. $24 isn't much for a double CD promo and a tee. :)

Well I clicked on renewal and then gave them my old email because I forgot my password. It's apparently still in the system as it said it was sending me an email, so we'll see what happens.

Well, they got me today. Big sale. $8 Aussie/NZ tour shirts at the shop. With the coupon code, that makes it $6 a shirt. Thats like a latte per shirt. Practically free! :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom