U2.com Presale Blunder / Fan Boycott: Cause For HTDAAB's Billboard Chart Freefall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Around the time news came out that presale was limited only to 1 show and 2 tickets, the public was outraged. Considering the shows mostly affected were the American shows -I can observe that the Americans did a splendid job of showing U2 their wrath. HTDAAB suffered a massive drop from #13 to #22. Everyone knows that you are nothing once you are outside the top 20 in the Billboard charts.

To add insult to injury, around this same time when ATYCLB was released, it sold 57,000 units while HTDAAB is only sold 35,000 units. These figures are improbable considering HTDAAB is supposed to be U2's "fastest selling album ever" and on a much more torrid pace than ATYCLB. The only possible explanation is simple - boycott.

The disgruntled fans have begun to show their resentment for the deception U2 has concocted with regards to website membership and presales. They have clearly banded together to reject U2.

Now, after the presales have been a total fiasco - this week's Billboard results for U2 seem to be headed to a chart position between 25 to 35. Wouldn't that be downright embarrassing for U2's "fastest selling album" to drop out of the top 30 so soon? This just shows the power of U2 fans if they are united towards a single goal.

Their complaints haven't gone unheeded. They have been featured in big time newspapers like the Sunday Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, and other top online sites to let U2 know how badly they were treated. Since the presale fiasco only reached media this week, we can expect next week's chart position to drop even more.

But the week after that should see a rise after word gets out of the U2.com refund. However, the damage has been done through the massive fan boycott.

Oh the irony - U2's fastest selling album becomes the 2nd fastest falling album (nothing will ever beat POP when it comes to chart freefalling) in U2's storied career. It looks like my prediction was right all along - that HTDAAB will be hard-pressed to match ATYCLB's Billboard Chart success. But I think it still has a chance.

Cheers,

J

While that is an interesting theory, wouldn't it seem like most of the people who would be boycotting anything would be the ones who are die-hard enough to already own the album?

Many fans own the album only on mp3 format (in other words, illegally downloaded). These are the fans who are saving up for the tour and getting the hit out of the $40 membership fee for U2.com.

Once the fans get their $40 back, I guarantee you that HTDAAB will climb some chart positions because there is renewed buying power.

Cheers,

J

Subzero temps in the northeast and ice in the southeast are responsible for the chart drop. U2 fans are smart enough not to go out and buy cds in such inclimate weather.

It happened last week, so they must be related.

I don't think I agree with the many fans only owning the album in illegal format....because then the album never would have "fallen" then in the first place. And I don't know how you'd know what format the majority of people had anyways. :rolleyes:

When the tour starts the album will pop back up the charts...that's inevitable and I'm not worried about it.

Re: U2.com Presale Blunder / Fan Boycott: Cause For HTDAAB's Billboard Chart Freefall?

jick said:

To add insult to injury, around this same time when ATYCLB was released, it sold 57,000 units while HTDAAB is only sold 35,000 units.

1)HTDAAB sold 38k copies last week
2)57k copies last week would have been enough for #7...while ATYCLB was #22
3)(logic consequence) the market overall is way much weaker than 4 years ago...about 30% weaker...and about 30% is what divides ATYCLB form HTDAAB

The album is falling on the charts now because all the momentum the album picked up from "Vertigo" is now waning - and it won't be regained until U2 does something big (like appearing on the Grammies) or until ABoY becomes a bigger hit. "Vertigo" was a great first single and it did a spectacular job (along with the iPod commercials) in garnering attention (and subsequent sales) for HTDAAB. However, there's been a lull. "All Because of You" is just now climbing up the charts. People are just starting to really hear it on the radio. Correspondingly, "Vertigo" is now falling. As such, the interest in the album has faded a bit. However, once the new single increases in airplay and/or the TV appearance occurs, the interest in the album will increase.

Your point about illegal downloading has some validity. Most of us in the charts forum have noticed a rather large decrease in sales across the board (i.e., for all albums - not just U2) when compared to 2001. This is most likely due to illegal downloads or people buying select songs, but not the entire album, from iTunes (or other legal downloading systems). On iTunes, buying "Vertigo" is great, but it does not help HTDAAB in terms of sales.

In other words, it's a different market, so we can't really compare 2000/2001 sales to now, sadly. We have to compare HTDAAB to other albums and for now, it's holding its own. The next few weeks/months will probably say how truly successful this album will be in the long run.

Last edited:
Re: U2.com Presale Blunder / Fan Boycott: Cause For HTDAAB's Billboard Chart Freefall?

jick said:
Around the time news came out that presale was limited only to 1 show and 2 tickets, the public was outraged. Considering the shows mostly affected were the American shows -I can observe that the Americans did a splendid job of showing U2 their wrath. HTDAAB suffered a massive drop from #13 to #22. Everyone knows that you are nothing once you are outside the top 20 in the Billboard charts.

To add insult to injury, around this same time when ATYCLB was released, it sold 57,000 units while HTDAAB is only sold 35,000 units. These figures are improbable considering HTDAAB is supposed to be U2's "fastest selling album ever" and on a much more torrid pace than ATYCLB. The only possible explanation is simple - boycott.

The disgruntled fans have begun to show their resentment for the deception U2 has concocted with regards to website membership and presales. They have clearly banded together to reject U2.

Now, after the presales have been a total fiasco - this week's Billboard results for U2 seem to be headed to a chart position between 25 to 35. Wouldn't that be downright embarrassing for U2's "fastest selling album" to drop out of the top 30 so soon? This just shows the power of U2 fans if they are united towards a single goal.

Their complaints haven't gone unheeded. They have been featured in big time newspapers like the Sunday Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, and other top online sites to let U2 know how badly they were treated. Since the presale fiasco only reached media this week, we can expect next week's chart position to drop even more.

But the week after that should see a rise after word gets out of the U2.com refund. However, the damage has been done through the massive fan boycott.

Oh the irony - U2's fastest selling album becomes the 2nd fastest falling album (nothing will ever beat POP when it comes to chart freefalling) in U2's storied career. It looks like my prediction was right all along - that HTDAAB will be hard-pressed to match ATYCLB's Billboard Chart success. But I think it still has a chance.

Cheers,

J

Jick, nice one good theory, you're definitely on to something here...

i think people are still upset over the brad pitt and jennifer anniston break up

how can anyone even thinking about buying cds at a time like this?

let's not neglect the fact that HTDAAB sold more than 800k in it's first week.... double it's highest opening week tally...... so to me this 'freefall' is inevitable..... and no cause for alarm...

the tour should see a pickup in sales.... but all because of you is the wrong choice for single#2 so that won't help sales.....

maybe the grammies or a big third US single ( Miracle Drug/COBL) will help boost sales.....

starsgoblue said:
:)

No kidding, I mean if those two people can get tired of having sex with each other...what chances do the rest of us have?

youre right, there is no chance for the rest of us

im never having sex again

Chizip said:
youre right, there is no chance for the rest of us

im never having sex again

Um, Chizip, have you ever had sex?? :wink:

As for a response to this thread....Huge opening week, steady Christmas sales...a little U2 downtime before the big tour. It'll be in the top 10 again by May.

Nope. The people that got screwed by the presale are the same ones who bought the damn cd the day it came out. Nice try though.

PEACE.

Not only do the 40 USD fans have the album, that is way too small a number in the whole of U2 fan base to really matter in sales.

The problem is that ABOY is just a weak single. The album is great, but there isn't a whole lot of stuff on it that really stands out as radio-friendly material. ABOY is a fun-but-claustrophobic rocker that doesn't really hold up when compared to U2's big singles. And, I don't think Sometimes is going to produce better results. It's a beautiful song, but it's not gonna get non-album-owners excited enough to go buy the album.

They would have been better served by releasing something like Miracle Drug as the second single. (City Of Blinding Lights would be a good single, but you can't edit that song to 4 minutes and maintain its structure.) Its driving beat, uplifting chorus and soaring climax are classic U2. It's catchier than ABOY, and it also has a particularly memorable line in "freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head". It would probably inspire a lot of listeners to stop and wonder "what the fuck?" but, that's the point. You need to get their attention.

And, the song's themes are easier to apply to the average person's life. I don't know anybody who can relate to Bono's ruminations on fame, and that's what ABOY is about. Outside of U2 fans, who really cares what Bono's life is like? But, I can tell you this - everybody knows somebody who has or will get cancer, or AIDS, or some other horrible disease or disability that nobody seems to be doing anything about. For Christ's sake, look at the controversy over stem cell research - this song, whether you like it or not, is MADE for these times. Come up with a beautifully shot video that conveys the hopeful feeling of Miracle Drug, and you have a much bigger hit than ABOY.

And, if they have any sense at all, they will release A Man And A Woman in the Spring when the weather starts warming up and the tour is in full force. That song will hook so many people who wouldn't ordinarily go buy a U2 album. Fans of R&B will dig the hell out of it - IF they ever get a chance to hear it. Given the choices for second and third singles off this album, though, I don't think the band or Universal will have the guts to do that. And, that's a shame, because it has more crossover potential than anything else on the album, and that's exactly what this album is going to need to stay up.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

Never bought HTDAAB?!!? Disgraceful. :tsk:

But at least you paid the fee - so all is right. :yes:

:wink:
and,
and..

im only like 75% happy w/my seat selection in the presale so I was hoping to ask for a partail refund back of 10.00 and for Bono to come over to my condo and wash my Jeep and bring cheeseburgers w/him.:angry:

Now that's not expecting too much is it me being a loyal fan of about 25 years now is it ?:wink:

db9

Last edited:
I love it when Jick does the 'collective psyche' thing. Like...

"Hey we are all U2 fans, and we are all pissed, and we all don't own HTDAAB yet, but we paid that frikkin' USD 40 for the stupid membership...so let's drop the album from #13 to #22 by not buying it this week, but if we feel like it, we'll buy it the week after we get the refund."

ABSURD!

Shade said:
The problem is that ABOY is just a weak single. The album is great, but there isn't a whole lot of stuff on it that really stands out as radio-friendly material. ABOY is a fun-but-claustrophobic rocker that doesn't really hold up when compared to U2's big singles.

ABOY is doing just fine on the Rock Charts (Modern and Mainstream Rock). It was a great choice!

Jick,
Sometimes your posts are interesting and can start some real debate. Other times, you are just talking out of your ass. Guess which type of post this is. :wink:

People have been claiming that ABOY's lack of success on the airwaves has been responsible for the album sales dropping. I have a theory about this: No one gives a crap anymore about what's on the radio anymore, in particular U2's target demographic, who are usually upper-middle class and therefore have the means to afford the new media.

I think its safe to say that the correlation between radio success and album success has been dropping exponentially since the late 90s. It's like books now - the way people can access music has become extremely personalized, thanks to technlology. Writable CD's, mp3 players. sites like launch.com are now being used all the time. Why doesnt MTV show videos anymore? Simply because its not profitable for them to do so; theres simply no point in waiting for hours to check out your favourite video when you can access it in 2 clicks of a button. It was the Apple ads and the option to immediately download Vertigo from Itunes that got U2 the necessary exposure - the exposure that was responsible for HTDAAB's 2.3 mil in sales thus far.

I think U2 realized that the old channels simply weren't going to cut it anymore; even TV appearances wouldn't do the job. To keep sales hot, they need to do something on the scale of what they did with Vertigo again - releasing singles to radio will do nothing IMO.

Of course, its also true that ABOY isnt anywhere as catchy in the context of todays listening preferences as Vertigo. Its melodic, to be sure, but lacks the attitude, the sass, and modernity of Vertigo (of course, its not meant to be like that, being a conscious throwback to The Who). But my claim is that even if it WAS, exposure simply via radio and MTV videos wouldn't get them too far.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with ABOY, good tune that has to grow on you. I don't think this "massive drop" has anything more to do with the fact that most of U2's ardent fan base has pretty much gobbled up the album, and now it's up to the tour to get the rest of the 'casual' fans on board.

Back
Top Bottom