U2.com Presale Blunder / Fan Boycott: Cause For HTDAAB's Billboard Chart Freefall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so for you before Mullen's letter the tour was not going to be successful and now it will be successfull?
Now U2 are on track again?
So before they were not?

Hey guy you need some psicological advice on your attitude
See a doctor and then come here to comment right?

yea your a bit bipolar on your posts. i dunno witch version of you we are all talking to. unless your pulling a bono/macphisto kinda deal on here, where your playing devils advocate at the same as being on u2;s side. well, to your qustion about weather thiers a connection or not? i say it dosn't matter. when the grammys and hall of fame air, someone whos not on here nor knows anything the pre sale will buy it.
judging u2 on thier own standards? ok i can see that. well right now HTDDAB is tied with TUF and past boy and october for cerfatcations. so thats not too bad to me. And more then pop and zooropa. so by those standards its doing great. and vertigo went platium as a single? is that right?

allbecauseofu2 said:
it only dropped to 28, so this run isn't over yet. on the us billboard charts.

It is far from over. Thanks to Mullen's apology and the fansite refund, the album should get back in gear in no time.

Cheers,

J

When they release "Sometimes" as a single in the US, it will go back up. I'm not saying that will be a no. 1 or anything, but it will get a lot of airplay on pop, top 40 type stations.

RademR said:
When they release "Sometimes" as a single in the US, it will go back up. I'm not saying that will be a no. 1 or anything, but it will get a lot of airplay on pop, top 40 type stations.

I doubt it, but I sure hope it will get airplay. The US market desperately needs a song like that to succeed so the quality of US musical tastes wil actually improve. I still think Miracle Drug would have made a good single for the US.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

I doubt it, but I sure hope it will get airplay. The US market desperately needs a song like that to succeed so the quality of US musical tastes wil actually improve. I still think Miracle Drug would have made a good single for the US.

Cheers,

J

unfortunately, a lot of the buyers in the states are also youngsters who are buying crap like lindsay lohan and jessica simpson's sister. geez her name even escapes my mind right now. darn. europeans have better taste. and what's this record drop it like it's... doing in the billboard charts!!! count it as one of the worst songs.. if you can even consider it a song.

regardless where the album stands now, HTDAAB is still one of the best albums in the market. years on people will forget about the ticket fiasco and instead remember the music. u2 has had its own scandals but people still remember the joshua tree, grew up with i will follow and had totally forgotten that at one point they allowed to be interviewed in the buff or that adam was caught with pot. it's the music that counts. besides u2 can not be solely responsible for the ticket selling fiasco. nobody lest anyone from the camp or management knew that they are still the hottest ticket in town. blame it on poor calculation or lack of foresight but surely paul and company never thought they could still be this hot after all these years.

jick said:

You shouldn't compare U2 with other bands. The other bands hardly match up. U2 are unique and exceptional. The only band that can compare to U2 is U2. I have been a staunch critic of the `97-98 version of U2 for example, but that is because they cannot match up to `92-93 or `00-01 or `87-88 versions. But when compared to other artists `97 U2 is still leagues better. So when there is a chart freefall or sales disappointment, it is based on U2 standards that U2 set themselves and only they can match up to.

Cheers,

J

Hmm... correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you always comparing U2 with Bon Jovi!?:scratch:

Last edited:
My theory is a more solid one. U2s fanbase in the USA has decayed since the Zooropa days and it isnt coming back. ATYCLB did well for one reason and one reason only because it had a massive advertising campaign and won major awards otherwise it wouldnt have done well probably only as well as POP. Bomb can still do "well" in the US but it will only happen if it wins some major awards, because in my opinion "singles" will have very little if anything to do with its outcome.

only read the theory so sorry if this has already been said but its a stupid theory. if a u2 fan was so desperate to see them then dont you think they owuld have bought the album by 2 months after it had come out? or if they hadnt bought it been given it for christmas (or the american celebration, was it thanksgiving?)

its the general public that buy albums, not u2 fans :p

Back
Top Bottom