U2.com now has the new mix of Discotheque posted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Kitten said:

I don't remember any DJ's saying anything about The Fly being weird (at least not any I ever heard) but I do remember Mysterious Ways, WGRYWH and One getting way more airplay on radio and MTV. Discotheque faded very fast, the only song I ever really heard from POP on the radio and MTV was SATS.
Well, I did hear several DJ's saying that, not that didn't like the song - just that it was, well, "weird". As far as the rest of Achtung Baby doing better on the charts than Pop, that's a seperate issue altogether. We were talking about 'Discotheque', the song, and not the album, Pop. As for 'Discotheque' fading quickly, it could be argued that that was simply the result of a bad video and bad marketing. A song doesn't shoot to #1 in 30 countries (or some such absurd number) without being somewhat liked. 'The Fly' on the other hand, got no higher than #61. Gee, I wonder which song the fans had a harder time digesting? ;)

Michael Griffiths said:

Well, I did hear several DJ's saying that, not that didn't like the song - just that it was, well, "weird". As far as the rest of Achtung Baby doing better on the charts than Pop, that's a seperate issue altogether. We were talking about 'Discotheque', the song, and not the album, Pop. As for 'Discotheque' fading quickly, it could be argued that that was simply the result of a bad video and bad marketing. A song doesn't shoot to #1 in 30 countries (or some such absurd number) without being somewhat liked. 'The Fly' on the other hand, got no higher than #61. Gee, I wonder which song the fans had a harder time digesting? ;)

Sorry, I never meant to argue, I was talking about the people I knew and what they thought. Yes I do think the video (Discotheque) hurt the song. Come to think of it I don't recall "The Fly" being pushed all that much as a single, it was MW and WGRYWH and One that were so big. But as for which song had a bigger negative impact on the band, it would have to be "Discotheque" because it set a 'bad' tone with some fans that turned them against the album, while "The Fly", even though it may not have been successful in the charts, did not 'scare away' fans the way "Discotheque" did. It may be a seperate issue but yes AB was 'digested' much better by more fans and the sales prove it.

U2Kitten said:
It may be a seperate issue but yes AB was 'digested' much better by more fans and the sales prove it.
Once again, yes, it is a separate issue. I don't know what that has to do with the discussion at hand. Yes, I agree - AB sold better than Pop, but that has zero relevency here.

I still disagree with you about 'The Fly' not scaring away any fans, though. I remember many, many people saying "U2 sold out" or "U2 are selling out," after 'The Fly' was released. Many people were waiting for JT part II, and of course they didn't get it (in all senses of the word), so, yes, I still disagree with you.

By the way, no need to apologize. It's only a discussion! :)

Last edited:
I have not been around here in a while, but I just want to say that this new Discotheque remix is pure garbage. It really blows. I could do better with a fifty cent used 1977 tape recorder.

Who approved such a horrible remix? The original is ten billion times better. It had a groove and flow to it. They stripped the soul and style right out of this mix.

It should be called the DiscoCrap Remix.

AJ

Seconds said:

What kind of statement is that? Now you're blaming ATYCLB fans for U2's decision to change the POP songs? That is just sad.

First they changed it because they were getting old, then because they had no balls, then because of record sales and now it's because ATYCLB fans demand it.

If you adore the album, good for you. But you need to accept that the band was not completely satisfied with the way the album was produced and stop blaming everyone and everything for their decision.

that's a really sweet post, it really has nothing to do with what I originally said, but you're correct, U2 has decided they no longer like their work on Zooropa and Pop, that's why they re-worked songs, my intrigue is in why they no longer like these songs they way they were recorded

U2 write songs for shock value now? it was shock rock back then, was it?

and btw, when I said "other" U2 albums I didn't say "ATYCLB"

say goodbye, say goodbye...

Back
Top Bottom