U2.com -- fabricating stories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
From U2.com
------------------------
Nine Days To Go Until The Real Thing!

Incomplete versions of the new album turned up online at the weekend – thanks to the help of fans, many have now come down.

U2 fan sites have been a great help in identifying online pirates distributing dodgy versions of new recordings - keep up the good work!

The real thing - the first new U2 studio album in four years - is just nine days away and will be well worth the wait.
-----------------------

First, the versions we have aren't incomplete. So that is the first untrue story U2. It is incomplete if you count Fast Cars.

Second, perhaps in a state of desperation - U2 were the ones who leaked out Fast Cars just to prove that the album was indeed incomplete and their press release is justified.

Third, the new recordings aren't dodgy versions and incomplete. All, except for Fast Cars, which u2.com planted as a leak - match up with the lyrics that have been published.

U2.com are trying to mislead us that what we have is incomplete and dodgy. I wonder why.

I think U2.com should stop fabricating stories and should start reporting the truth.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
First off, the copies we got are not the only ones that got leaked. There were incomplete and bad-quality clips out there. U2.com is not always referring to Interference - there are other forums out there. Incomplete doesn't mean missing lyrics, but incomplete intros/endings. I've heard some of them and they are indeed incomplete.

As far as quality, these are obviously not lossless but good enough to listen to. I, for one, am looking forward to getting the actual CDs.

I don't think they're fabricating anything.

Fabricating stories, do you feel that they are just trying to stick to the date and keeping some dignity or is something more sinister on the go?

But it's all true! Let's see.

U2 fan sites have been a great help in identifying online pirates distributing dodgy versions of new recordings - keep up the good work!

This bit is clearly true. It was U2 fan sites such as this that helped me identify the pirates and download the album from them. :up:

Incomplete versions of the new album turned up online at the weekend – thanks to the help of fans, many have now come down.

This is also true. The leak didn't include Fast Cars, and U2 fans are bringing down the sites where the album is hosted: a lot of those yousendit link's are now dead, after massive downloading, and I'm sure other sites hosting it have spent all their bandwidth as well.

The real thing - the first new U2 studio album in four years - is just nine days away and will be well worth the wait.

I don't think anyone can argue with that. It's certainly worth the wait, because it's a great album, as we could all tell from the leak.

So, thank you U2.com, for telling it like it is! :up:

jick said:
From U2.com
------------------------

-----------------------

First, the versions we have aren't incomplete. So that is the first untrue story U2. It is incomplete if you count Fast Cars.

Second, perhaps in a state of desperation - U2 were the ones who leaked out Fast Cars just to prove that the album was indeed incomplete and their press release is justified.

Third, the new recordings aren't dodgy versions and incomplete. All, except for Fast Cars, which u2.com planted as a leak - match up with the lyrics that have been published.

U2.com are trying to mislead us that what we have is incomplete and dodgy. I wonder why.

I think U2.com should stop fabricating stories and should start reporting the truth.

Cheers,

J

i think you're running out of ideas.

Cheers,

H

this U2.com article is the most blatant damage control piece of corporate manipulation I have ever read. I feel violated just reading it. I hope the band had nothing to do with this. The only way this can be proven legit is if the album version are noticably different on the "official". If they are exactly the same as these then we can be sure we are being manipulated.

jick said:
From U2.com
------------------------

I'm sorry but the U2.com story is very poorly written "at the weekend"?

I can almost understand what the hell they're trying to say, but my God who writes this stuff? Maybe they were trying quell any fears about the rumors regarding retaliation against the fan sites that were spreading earlier this week.

Who knows; this story doesn't even make sense to me.

Maybe some of the fans who are hanging out at HQ started whining about the fansites being attacked because of the leak and this is U2's way of calming the fears.

I would love to know what the motivation behind this story was.

If you actually read the article it says "incomplete versions of the album" - and that's exactly what we recieved - song by song. It makes no mention of the songs being incomplete in anyway.

I know exactly what the motivation behind it was...

"don't download the album because it is an incomplete version"

It sounds pretty darn complete to me. If there are differences I will be glad to be proven wrong. And not having "fast cars" does not count as I live in the US and have somehow been deemed unworthy to recieve that track unless I want to fork over $40 or $50. So I will wait and see, but this just seems like a desperate lie to manipulate people into buying the album. I agree that people should buy it but not because they have been lied to.

u2.com is a worthless shit! It's a real shame that a band like U2 have the most lame and useless site you can find out there.

i wouldn't say the website is useless now but it needs spruced a good bit

Greating writing, u2.com! I think Lars Ulrich has a new day job in Ireland...

Hmm, the copies I have are not dodgy at all.

With all these pirated copies of HTDAAB, looks like Edge is gonna have to hold off on the new roof on Malibu house til next year!

All bands do this, it's standard operating procedure. Don't take it personally.

the message is not directed at the lot of you.

we are more than well aware that you have the album but you still plan on buying it.

the message is for the 99.9% of the music listening to public that arent massive U2 fans who may have heard about the online availability of the album (the story has been reported in entertainment as well as business news, in concert with the leaked eminem album and the earnings expectations of universal).

the message is meant to convince these individuals not to search for the album online.

and it does tell the truth-a little twisted but most truth is.

It's a little farther from the truth than I am comfortable with. The reality is, right or wrong, a person can download this album right now and it will be the same thing they would buy on the 23rd. This statement would make you beLIEve otherwise. This statement lies, misleads, manipulates. I agree that people should buy the album, but the record company should not resort to telling lies.

they are resorting to a variation on the truth to protect their investment. id do it too.

kobayashi said:

the message is for the 99.9% of the music listening to public that arent massive U2 fans who may have heard about the online availability of the album (the story has been reported in entertainment as well as business news, in concert with the leaked eminem album and the earnings expectations of universal).

And those people are actually going to visit U2.com?

Let me get this straight, people here are upset that U2.com is releasing a statement with the intent of curtailing piracy of the new album?

So what's the problem exactly?

You feel lied to? The only ones affected by this misleading statement from U2.com are those who have either illegally downloaded the album, or those who would consider it. It's not like they are trying to trick anyone into buying the album. If, because of U2.com's statement, someone buys the album instead of stealing it off the net, how is that a bad thing?

They have a right to protect their investment, even if it means telling a white lie. After all, the only people who will know that they were misled are those who have illegally downloaded the album!

Cut 'em some slack.

The universe exploding 'cos-a one man's lie...

Anything goes... unfortunately...

I don't agree. It is not ok to lie to save a buck. If there really is differences in the official release then that's fine, but don't make up stories. It's leaked! Find some less shady ways to deal with it.

ramblin rose said:

And those people are actually going to visit U2.com?

as a primary source of information for the media to access the band, yes, U2.com is a logical place to plant such a story.

kobayashi said:

as a primary source of information for the media to access the band, yes, U2.com is a logical place to plant such a story.

Well, if that's the case they should really be more careful in writing their stories.

This particular one is poorly written and a terrible reflection on U2.

Maybe it was written by a 12 year old girl from Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom