U2.com & McGuinness CONFIRM the band is recording!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW!!!! This is fantastic news!!! My day just got a whole lot better!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
hehe well, i just announced that Europe are not having summer!
Sorry guys!!!

Well, sometimes we don't, so you were not entirely wrong.
biggrin.gif
Or at least up here it feels some summers like we didn't have any, they pass too fast.... and with too much rain it somehow just seem not have been any summer at all when we hit september. But on the other hand, the next year we can have summer for half a year so somewhere at the end of the universe we have had our average 3 months of summer each year we existed.
wink.gif

Oki, sorry, I guess I'm just too carried away thanks to the good news I just feel very "flummig".
biggrin.gif

I'm off to bed now before I write more stupid, crazy, all entirely grammatical wrong posts that noone understand anyway. LOL

So, if I understand correctly, YouTwo net didn't have anything regarding a possible split-up, it was speculation here at Interference....so Paul McGuinness is releasing a statement to basically quell the Interference rumours?!?

COOL!!!

We've got the power man!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

So, if I understand correctly, YouTwo net didn't have anything regarding a possible split-up, it was speculation here at Interference....so Paul McGuinness is releasing a statement to basically quell the Interference rumours?!?

COOL!!!

We've got the power man!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

No, it was a rumour on other boards that spreaded to this board because I made a bad decision.
redface.gif

I'm enjoying all of the good news today!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

YEEES!!!!

*Pops a Guiness*

biggrin.gif

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Lemons, the chicks- they love the lemon"
-Bono in Rotterdam-

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

Ok, I don't think my last post properly expressed what I am feeling right now. Let's try this again:

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Yeah, that's much better
wink.gif

this is such a great so im posting.
ya u2 has to kick arsss now.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES

Originally posted by Roland of Gilead:
This is how I understood Paul's statement. He is referring to the Best of album that has been rumoured for months now.
I think you're right

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

oh ya thats why they are in the studio recording new songs and thats why they did not tour the uk.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES

not really
but it probably is why - if it's correct what the article suggests - we'll get to hear new songs this year instead of next year

it's not likely U2 will release a best of and a new album in a time frame of a few weeks
I think that would be a stupid business move

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 03-21-2002).]

Originally posted by Roland of Gilead:
I am suprised that people here cannot see that Paul is talking about the 2 new tracks that are going to be included in the new Best of 1990-2000 package. A single will be released before this release and a single will be released in the new year shortly after the Best of 1990-2000's release. Both tracks will on this album.

This is how I understood Paul's statement. He is referring to the Best of album that has been rumoured for months now.

Ok... One of the new songs has to be that song from the movie Gangs Of New Work, which we've established is going to be called "A Man Is A Man".

In previous discussions: http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum1/HTML/016208.html http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum1/HTML/016208.html

How could that song find its way onto the Best Of 1990 - 2000 when its intended to be released in 2002. That wouldn't be consistant (unless it was an enhanced version of a song released somewhere between 1990 - 2000). Completely new material wouldn't appear on the next Best Of otherwise it would just be silly - wouldn't it?

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
But what does this mean for my prediction that the album wouldn't be out until spring 2005 at the earliest?

MAP

For a new album to come out in 2005 is a bit much.

U2 released ATYCLB in late 2000. They'll wisely release this second "Best Of" in late 2002. This allows the "Best Of" to benefit from strong holiday sales - the same thing that helped R&H, AB, the first "Best Of" and ATYCLB. Holiday sales are so strong, that it helped ATYCLB for two consecutive years! Even though ATYCLB had already been out for more than a year last holiday season, it sold in 3 weeks what it normally took 10 weeks to sell last summer! Therefore, never underestimate the power of holiday sales! An album released in late October could have 9-10 weeks of very strong sales before finally hitting a January slump.

As for the new album, for U2 to wait until Spring 2005 would be way too long. First, it behooves them to release an album, once again, during the holiday season. But they also don't want to wait too long to capitalize on the success of ATYCLB. Therefore, I think a holiday release for 2003 is possible. That gives then 1.5 years, starting now, to get that album finished. Considering that U2, themselves, claimed to have over 100 songs in various stages of recording, I would imagine that choosing 11 or 12 of these, even with altered lyrics, is something that could easily be accomplished in 1.5 years.

Therefore, I predict a holiday 2003 new album release.

Originally posted by doctorwho:

Therefore, I predict a holiday 2003 new album release.

well, you might be right. BUT, here's what i'm hoping for (and it *could* be realistic, i think!):

"Best of" released in fall 2002, new album released spring 2003, tour starting in summer 2003- beginning w/ stadiums in europe, continuing to "rest of world" (ie, latin america, asia, australia) in fall/winter, and finishing in N. America in the spring.

that would be ideal, in my opinion.
biggrin.gif

Ally, that is exactly what I was thinking when I heard this news.

The fact that they are recording shouldnt be news. The band has basically said this in a few interviews over the past couple of months. All the split up stuff is just bad internet rumors which very rarely turn out to be true.

When they cancelled the tour (that was never announced anyway!) alot of people went into panic. I said then, they probebly just want to work on the album instead.

If you have been following this band long enough you find that the break up rumor ALWAYS comes in between albums and tours. Its because people dont have as much to talk about so they make stuff up or say things with nothing to back them up. There has been a break up rumor between every album since the Unf. Fire.

Bottom line, if you are into this band you know how well they get along and that they plan to continue until they cant do it physically or are not happy with what they are doing. Right now the appear to be VERY happy from what I have seen.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-21-2002).]

well, golly, left the board for a few days last week and it was nothing but bad news, rumours, and speculation
frown.gif

left the board for ONE DAY this week and nothing but blue skies
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

this is too cool cause it's seems (to me)that ATYCLB just came out yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
But what does this mean for my prediction that the album wouldn't be out until spring 2005 at the earliest?

MAP
To agree with Docwho and add this, if they wait till spring 2000 then they will be going on tour in their mid-forties.

Not that they can't DO that, but I think they won't necessarily take 4 years to make a record now. I think they wisely went back to get out new material while they feel so good about themselves as a band.

When they released ATYCLB, and were doing all of the promos Bono said something to the effect that they felt like "a brand new band", which was backed up by the tour. How many brand new bands wait 4 years between records/tours?

*hopes n' prays that the new record comes out THIS year*
hopefully Bono doesn't pull a, er, uh...Bono
rolleyes.gif

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Love is...cold steel/Fingers too numb to feel/Squeeze the handle/Blow out the candle
Love is blindness.../A little death/Without mourning/No call/And no warning...

[Thanks Coach P]

Some of my thoughts:

1) The new album will NOT be out this year. Evidence: Edge was recently quoted as saying they want to spend a year and a half recording the album (source: atu2.com, new album section).

2) The Best Of 1990-2000 will NOT inlcude songs from ATYCLB. Why?

a) U2 have an album in ATYCLB that has at least 9 possible singles (which they've stated over and over), and make no mistake: 'Stuck' is NOT the last single off this album. Therefore, they have not finished promoting ATYCLB and, since U2 wouldn't want to hinder that promotion, they would not include songs from ATYCLB on a Best Of (which would all but remove any incentive to buy ATYCLB). Also, U2 -- I suspect -- would not dilute the value of ATYCLB by taking the best songs off it and putting them on a Best Of just yet. They only did that with Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum once they had aged over 10 years. Achtung Baby is now over 10 years old, and Pop isn't such a liability as it didn't sell that well anyway (relatively speaking of course), so they can afford to include it.

b) The band has stated repeatedly that ATYCLB feels like "starting again" or "going back to scratch"..., and, in many ways, this album is another beginning for the band. It doesn't have the 90s feel to it (nor an 80s feel, for that matter); it has a different feel altogether. The band stated that ATYCLB would either be the beginning of something, or their last album. It is obviously the beginning of something, and it will be included in a future package that will need it to fulfill that beginning.

3) P. McGuinness is speaking of the upcoming Best Of release. Evidence: See all the other posts.

4) The new record will rock, but also roll. Evidence: now that's classified.
wink.gif

------------------
The Tempest

Back
Top Bottom