U2-Coldplay connection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
X-it 7 said:
Coldplay is like U2 on muscle relaxers.

That's the perfect description!!!!

Thanks to all who agree with me. Glad I'm not the only one thinknig this. I'm just so sick of watching all the people around me playing Coldplay more than U2, because Coldplay is YOUNGER! Well there music sure sounds older and more boring for a bunch of young guys. "Clocks" and "Speed of Sound" are two good songs with killer piano licks, but they're so alike showing the band can't really mix it up as well as U2 can.

blueeyedgirl said:
See? That crap is going to get to No. 1 around the world and yet U2 fans are obsessed with the lyrics to Fix You (which didn't and won't)

Why don't you all go and try to get teh Black Eyed Peas banned? :mad:

I do hate the fact that My Humps or My Lumps or whatever the hell that piece of crap is called is going to go to No. 1. On the other hand, I don't hear anyone calling BEP the next U2. I don't think anyone really takes BEP seriously anymore. But lots of people who you would think would know better take Coldplay seriously.

This is such an exhausted topic.
And I think as long as someone keeps making posts asking why there are comparisons then they will keep happening.
I personally think people find it threatening that anyone says anything challenging about U2.
Trust me I was the same when I heard all the comparisons.
But by the time the next U2 album is being ready to be rolled out everyone would have forgotten about all of these Coldplay comparisons.
It's also interesting when people bitch and moan about how Hoobastank and all these other commercial teeny bopper bands (Greenday too) get trashed for being so off the par from U2, yet the minute some band starts playing some decent music similar to U2 that all of a sudden the attacks come out because of that.

I think it's good U2 has a little reminder of other bands who want there job. Because I know for a fact EDGE and Bono are very competitive(especially Bono) and I think they are going to make a monster record next time to re-iterate there intentions.
Coldplay are hot at the moment, U2 were hot this time last year.

LastEdgeOnEarth said:

Thanks to all who agree with me. Glad I'm not the only one thinknig this.

Couldn't agree with you more, I love Coldplay's "Parachute", it sounds so fresh, but after that they kind of lost it for me, they lost their sound and what made them stand out. And although imitation is the highest form of flattery, lately every one of Chris Martin's interviews refers to how much he admires U2 and how he wants to be (like) them... Thing is, there will never be another U2, and rather than trying to be the next U2, they should develop their own sound, their own spirit. And if it's any good, that's what will give them credit. I read in Q that for the next Album, they want to explore different sounds, work with different producers, so let's see what happens. To me Coldplay at the moment sounds slushy and empty of any substance. Rather than nicking U2's formula minus the talent, they should develop their own.

Back
Top Bottom