U2/Coldplay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know today at work when I was forced to listen to it again...I kinda was thinking 40 Live...but I doubt anyone will agree...but it reminded me of Cleveland 12/10....

GibsonGirl said:

Oh, and we all downloaded it a while ago. 90% of the board thinks it's the best thing since the cheese grater.

I like Mercy, but I like my cheese grater a bit better. :wink: :D

rudybay said:
a lil interesting fact:

when gwyneth was pregnant, chris martin used to sing a sort of homecoming to her belly:blahblah:

did the baby fall asleep?:ohmy:

Laugh if you will call me crazy...disagree... I don't care...I figured out what song it was!

Its' not a U2 song at all...It's a little song by Acrcadia Fire by the name of Wake Up..>I just put in Vertigo Chigao, and I heard the opening and knew right then

Well
I can sleep at night again ;)

GibsonGirl said:
Oh God, now we're comparing Coldplay to The Arcade Fire. :(

:lock:

Shove off, Step on Me!
(P.S. - I've got a photo to show you to make you jealous of my Uni. Damn you and your lack of PM's!)

GibsonGirl said:

Mercy isn't on any CD. It hasn't been officially released by U2 in any form. A fan got a copy of it through a HTDAAB CD that was given to her by someone else. How the person who gave that CD to her came across it in the first place is a little murky. But anyway, yes, it's an unreleased track that Bono claims is one of the best B-sides they've ever written. Or something like that, you can't really keep up with Bono's hyperboles.

Oh, and we all downloaded it a while ago. 90% of the board thinks it's the best thing since the cheese grater.
lol. =)
here's an excerpt from the Sunday Herald, back in 2004. i wonder what the reason for taking it off the ablum was:

"We have convened today to discuss the state of the U2 nation, their intriguing take on the world, and their 11th studio album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. But before we can contemplate the latter and its bewildering title, U2 have some business to attend to and politely invite me to sit in on an impromptu band meeting.

“We’re not fully agreed on what to do here,” Bono explains, “so maybe you should vote, too.”

The problem, if it can be called that, lies in the album’s running order. After numerous attempts, U2 have yet to find a satisfactory flow, leading them to believe that there may be too many songs. So, right now, they must decide which tunes should be sacrificed.

As it stands, the album is three seconds shy of an hour and, as Bono says, “too much of a good thing is a bad thing,” so drastic measures need to be taken.

“I have a theory,” Mullen begins, and a reverential silence descends as the drummer – traditionally the first band member to be shouted down in these situations – states his case. After just five minutes, it has been unanimously decided that the track Mercy, a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish, must go.

Hence a song that any self-respecting band would be proud to call a single becomes what Bono immediately anoints “the best B-side you’ve ever heard.” "

it was Larry's suggestion! ;]

Ifeelnumb84 said:
This sounds like City of Blinding Lights meets New Years' Day, and not in a good way.
Wow, here's the parts of this Coldplay B-side, from my point of view:
  • A baseline more errant than the album version of Please
  • Retarded Martinesque lyrics
  • Piano chords to remind you that the song actually does have a musical structure
  • Boring Martinesque throwaway harmony in chorus and build-up
  • Stupid backing vocals on chorus, CP would have sold the music for this to Blink 182 or something and they could have done better with it
  • 3:46: brief respite of slience and then WHAM back into the shittyness
  • Oh fantastic they're drumming on cups and saucers again, for only what, the 10th song from the X&Y era?
  • This is fucking terrible :huh:
I think I'd rather watch Battlefield Earth while being sodomized with a cob of corn than listen to this b-side ever, ever again.

tuwie said:

it was Larry's suggestion! ;]

And it's the one suggestion to come out of that man's mouth that I agree with. I purchase Mercy toilet paper from Headache. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom