U2 Best of 2000-2010 -- what would be on it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathan1977

Rock n' Roll Doggie
By 1985, U2 had released the following albums:
Boy
October
War
UABRS
The Unforgettable Fire
WWIA

- albums that constituted about half of the Best of 1980-1990 album.

By 1995, U2 had released the following albums:
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1

- albums that constituted about half of the Best of 1990-2000 album -- interestingly, half of what was released during the same period from the eighties (three albums as opposed to six).

In this decade, we are at the end of 2005, and we have seen exactly one album of new material (two songs from ATYCLB were on the last Best Of). So really, we now have one and a half albums that will constitute whatever new Best Of album that will commemorate the third decade of U2's career -- we know there will be a third because that was what the famous deal was for.

So what the heck would be on such a release? It seems like the Best Of would be How To Disamantle, whatever album is released in 2008, and two tracks from ATYCLB (Walk On and Elevation, which were released as singles after 2000).

Just thinking out loud here...

I would say:

Walk On
Elevation
Vertigo
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug / OOTS / SYCMIOYO
All Because Of You
I bet they put Mercy on it

Is there anything that says it has to be a best of 2000-2010?

I know they signed on for three compilations, but it could be a "rest of", box set, etc...

Who knows.

But if it's just a basic best of, it will probably be:

Walk On
Kite(but it will probably be Elevation)
Vertigo
Sometimes
COBL
ABOY(although wouldn't be my choice)
song from next album
song from next album
song from next album
New Song
New Song

Last edited:
Walk On
Elevation
Kite or In a Little While
Vertigo
Sometimes...
ABOY
COBL
OOTS
Song from new album1
Song from new album2
Song from new album3
Song from new album4
New Song For Greatest Hits
New Song For Greatest Hits

That's 14 right there, more if you put a 4th song from ATYCLB and/or a 5th song from the upcoming album (which, barring some great tragedy, will be out before 2010). There is also a chance that a single could be released without an album, HMTMKMKM style.

Last edited:
2861U2 said:
I would say:

Walk On
Elevation
Vertigo
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug / OOTS / SYCMIOYO
All Because Of You
I bet they put Mercy on it

what they said, though of course, Mercy is still in the air...

• "The Ground Beneath Her Feet"
  • "Beautiful Day" (fuck The Best of 1990-2000; if U2 wants to pretend it never happened, I'd go along with it)
  • "Stuck In A Fucking Stupid Long Ass Song Title"
  • "Elevation" (maybe the Tomb Raider Mix or mmmaybe even the Influx Mix)
  • "Walk On" (single version)
  • "Vertigo"
  • "Sometimes You Make Too Many Fucking Stupid Long Ass song Titles"
  • "City of Blinding Lights"
  • "Original of the Species" (single version)
  • room for songs that have yet to be written
  • no new songs like "Electrical Storm" and "The Hands That Built America," since they'd probably suck
  • no reworked B-sides, since they've barely made any B-sides they could conceivably rework

Elevation
Walk On
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
COBL
ABOY
OOTS (probably)
new song (from new album 1)
new song (" 2)
new song ("3)
new song ("4)
new song (probably a non-album single... it can happen though)
new promoting song
new promoting song

...and we don't really know how many albums will U2 release till 2010. I could bet that 2 albums would come out till 2010, and the best of coming out in 2012 or something like that

Elevation
Walk On
In A Little While
Vertigo
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
All Because Of You
City Of Blinding Lights
Original Of The Species

Fast Cars (who knows... they are playing it live and supposedly filmed video for it... maybe it will be a between album single for those who didn't get it on HTDAAB)

Mercy (this will definitely be a single, whether it makes the next album or not)

There will be one or two singles that come from places other than albums, a la Miss Sarajevo & HMTMKMKM

4 songs from the next album

2 new songs

that gives us 16-18 tracks in total. I really think U2 screwed the pooch including Beautiful Day and Stuck on the 90s disc (there were many songs that could have replaced them: Please, LNOE, WGRYWH, Lemon, IGWSHA)

Not to mention that if the album hadn't featured 2 new tracks, we would also have Electrical Storm & THTBA as well.

there will be 2 more albums in this decade. even if that means the second of those 2 comes out in novemver of 2010, they will include its singles on this compilation.

but i really think U2 will not wait that long for their next 2 albums. THey realize that they have become vital again (look at the ticket sales) and they don't want to go away for too long, or they may slip in the eyes of the masses again a la popmart.

my guess:
new album late 2006/summer 2007
new album 2010

+ 1 non album single (maybe mercy)

my bet is also that after all is said and done, they will rewrite their history yet again and release a 3 disc retrospective of their career (we're talking far into the future, probably after the death of cds) each one covering the singles of that decade, and it will include Please, Lemon, WGRYWH, and LNOE, reassign Sweetest Thing to the 90s, and reassign BD and STUCK to the 00 decade, as well as Electrical Storm, Hands, and Include TGBHF as singles from the 00 decade.

it would be kind of like the beatles red and blue releases, but all as one package.

that would be one hell of a set.

Walk On
Kite
Vertigo
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
City Of Blinding Lights
All Because Of You
Original Of The Species
4 songs from 2006/2007 album, 4 songs from 2009-2010 album.

Walk On
In a Little While
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
City of Blinding Lights
Yahweh
(New album-1)
(New album-1)
(New album-1)
(New album-2)
(New album-2)
(New album-2)
(New song)

Maybe two new albums is wishful thinking, but I bet they could do it.

Back
Top Bottom