U2 Best Of 1980-1990 Videos -- What Should Be On It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathan1977

Rock n' Roll Doggie
We should start to clamor for this to finally be released on DVD. But what should be on the DVD?

Seems like this would be the overall content list:

Main tracklist:
- Pride (sepia/doc/faces)
- New Year's Day
- With or Without You
- I Still Haven't Found
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- Bad (live from Unforgettable Fire collection)
- Where the Streets Have No Name
- I Will Follow
- Unforgettable Fire
- Sweetest Thing (single mix)
- Desire (remix)
- When Love Comes to Town
- Angel of Harlem
- All I Want is You

Bonus Videos:
- Gloria
- A Celebration
- Two Hearts Beat As One
- A Sort of Homecoming (live from Unforgettable Fire collection)
- One Tree Hill (live)
- Night and Day
- Red Hill Mining Town (oh stop laughing -- we can dream, can't we?)
- Spanish Eyes (from the Outside It's America doc)
- In God's Country (from the Outside It's America doc)

Special Features:
- Outside It's America doc
- Making of All I Want is You

Other ideas? What else could be put on the DVD? Other special docs out there anyone know of? Special rare bonus footage? Footage from Live Aid? That ultra-rare TV appearance with Womanfish?

your suggestion looks pretty good to me , the only added bonus stuff I would want :

The Magic Carpet (pre 1980)
A Day Without Me ("Live" Leixlip '80)
11 O'Clock Tick Tock ("Live" - Leixlip '80)
Electric Co. (Live London '80)
I Will Follow (Live '80)
With Or Without (Alt. Version)

a few of these are on the 1987 Video Sampler (Promo) , but would be nice to see them on DVD.

but I would much rather see Red Rocks (Complete) , a Boy or Lovetown show released to DVD

:ohmy:

Quite simply, ALL the commercially released music videos from the period and maybe a history mix (ie. a 10-15 min video journey of 80's U2).

Have these old videos ever be released at all? Because I only have the Best of 1990-2000 video collection on DVD.

I would love to have all the videos plus Making Ofs plus one or two documentaries and maybe some live stuff.

last unicorn said:
Have these old videos ever be released at all? Because I only have the Best of 1990-2000 video collection on DVD.

I would love to have all the videos plus Making Ofs plus one or two documentaries and maybe some live stuff.

Yes Last Unicorn The Best Of 1980-90 was released in VHS form in late 99 early 2000 I think, no extras to speak of as such but there was a very rare version of One Tree Hill included from the JT tour.

Here's a link.

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/vid007.html

last unicorn said:

Some of them were released on the U218 Videos DVD (the companion DVD to the U218 Singles CD):

Pride (sepia version)
Pride (documentary version)
New Year's Day
With Or Without You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Where the Streets Have No Name
Sweetest Thing
Desire

^ I know. I have this DVD. I was so happy to have it because, before that, I did not have these old videos (only on You Tube).

last unicorn said:
^ I know. I have this DVD. I was so happy to have it because, before that, I did not have these old videos (only on You Tube).
I see. I guess I misinterpreted your question. The way you worded it made it sound like you didn't even know that the DVD existed.

No sorry, I just didn't know about the old Best Of (1980-1990), but apparently there was a VHS version, it's just that I never heard of that.
But yes, I have the old videos that are on U2:18 videos.

The Sad Punk said:
There should be a commentary.

The commentary must be done by the band under the influence of just as much alcohol as they were under when they actually played Womanfish.

That's a given, and also Bono should be wearing that same Harley Davidson shirt. This needs to be known.

Easter egg!: bonus commentary of that awfully lazy Knocking on Heaven's Door.

That Easter egg better include a promise that U2 will never cover Knockin' On Heaven's Door with Axl Rose EVER AGAIN! The 1986 performance isn't so awful compared to that disaster. But really, maybe they should just promise they'll never cover it again full stop, as it was rarely that good (I will forever maintain that 18 November 1989 is a huge exception to that, though).

I forgot that the majority of the U2 videos from 80-90 were released on U218. I definitely still think a separate 80-90 DVD should be released, but I def think there should be a lot of value-added content so we aren't just getting more of the same...

But given that the VHS release was almost a decade ago, what do people think are the chances of this actually happening?

nathan1977 said:
Bonus Videos:
- Gloria
- A Celebration
- Two Hearts Beat As One
- A Sort of Homecoming (live from Unforgettable Fire collection)
- One Tree Hill (live)
- Night and Day
- Red Hill Mining Town (oh stop laughing -- we can dream, can't we?)
- Spanish Eyes (from the Outside It's America doc)
- In God's Country (from the Outside It's America doc)

I just wanted to add that the first five videos on this list were released on iTunes but have since disappeared, Night and Day was released on the Red Hot and Blue DVD last year, and the last three are about to get released on the Joshua Tree bonus DVD.

So pretty much all of them have been or are soon to be released in some form.

The With or Without You (Alternate) video has also appeared on iTunes, and a Desire (12" Dance Remix) video is currently available as well. It's definitely a different Desire vid than what's on the 80-90 VHS.

intedomine said:
Quite simply, ALL the commercially released music videos from the period and maybe a history mix (ie. a 10-15 min video journey of 80's U2).

well, there was an 80's history mix that was on the achtung baby vhs tape.. that covered the band's 80's history from the beginning up until the dream it all up again speech from the lovetown tour.

i always thought it would be cool to splice it together with the history mix that appeared on the 90's best of dvd.

Back
Top Bottom