U2 best band ever? I think Yea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me (no particular order)

-The Beatles (Lennon & McCa, two of the greatest genius of the humanity together in a band, was that a casuality?)
-U2 (Lyrics, political attitude, group unity)
-Pink Floyd (Musically)

But was no competition in the last 25 years........................... really

I think U2 is the only major band who has always reinvented itself. Look at what they did with AB/Zoo TV, Zooropa, Pop(mart), then the back to basics and now the rock album, not to mention their trip to the US with R&H, their statements from War & UF. They're totally different each time, but still making the best music of its kind.

OK, The Beatles made a lot of masterpieces, but did they reinvent themselves? What about the Stones?

It's very difficult to beat U2's record...

Let's see if people are still buying/listening to their stuff 25/30 years AFTER they have split up. Will they have as long-lasting an influence as the Beatles or Zeppelin ? Will they be looked upon as having changed the face of music ?

Led Zeppelin just set a record for DVD-Music sales when they released their live DVD last year, quite an amazing feat for a band who was together about 13 years, and who split 23 years ago.

Peter said:

OK, The Beatles made a lot of masterpieces, but did they reinvent themselves? What about the Stones?

It's very difficult to beat U2's record...

The Beatles reinvent themselves at least 3 times: Revolver, Pepper, White Album...

:ohmy:

The Beatles are definitely the best band of all time...but I'd say that U2 definitely come in at a strong second place.

The Beatles were perfect in most every way for the whole of their existence, and they produced as much quality music in under ten years than U2 has managed to create in almost thirty; I think that that really says something about how spectacular they really were. Additionally, while I think that U2 has written some of the greatest music of all time, they've never really spearheaded the overall thrust of music. The Beatles created new kinds of music, whereas I think U2 has done a great job not of creating new kinds of music, per se, but of perfecting previously existing ones.

I like to say that Nirvana were the fathers of "alternative" music. It was U2, though, who turned "alternative" music into true art with Achtung Baby . I think that they also came just about as close to perfecting "conventional" rock and roll (and I'll admit--that term probably means something different to everybody...whatever) as anybody else back in '87 with The Joshua Tree .

Even so, The Beatles were the fathers of contemporary pop/rock/etc. music even being considered an art (Sgt. Pepper's , anybody?); hell, if not for The Beatles, there might not even be strings in "All I Want Is You..."

That said, you gotta' go with The Beatles at number one. I honestly think that from 1991-1998, U2 was better than The Beatles ever were. Really. Even so, they only released three albums (The Beatles released countless more over the same amount of time) and only toured twice. U2's peak was higher than any other band's (although after seeing Radiohead, last summer, I think that they're in GREAT danger....GREAT GREAT GREAT danger), but The Beatles were never in anything but peak shape. U2 has periodically stumbled--never fallen, I'll admit, but The Beatles never even bothered walking on the same earth as you and I. They were something else entirely...

Hola amigos:wave:

well, we have the oldest music discussion on the hystory... which is the BEST band from all times ?:scratch:

First, we have to be serious if we want to have a real good discussion here, and not say easily "MY BAND IS THE BEST, YOURS IS CRAP" and things like that :censored:
So we have to say some objetive comments, togheter with our personal feelings.

THE BEATLES has been the most succesful Band from all times, no one can refuse that :yes: also almost EVERY artist ( including U2 ) has recognized their influence. Do you remember U2 played Dear Prudence snippet during War Tour 1983 ?, Help on 1986 and 1987 ? Helter Skelter on 1987 ?, etc, etc.

THE ROLLING STONES is an obligatory influence for any Rock & Roll band like THE STROKES, LED ZEPPELIN or others.

LED ZEPPELIN has been the most influencial Rock band since late 60´s ( again, including U2, do you remember Whole Lotta Love snippet during Pop Mart Tour 1997 ? ), and togheter with PINK FLOYD has been the most succesful band after THE BEATLES.

PINK FLOYD has the second best sold record from all times, after Michael Jackson: The Wall. Also, for many critics The Wall Live has been the best ever live act from the hystory.

U2 has been the most succesful band since 80´s and influence from almost every band from U.K: RADIOHEAD, COLDPLAY, TRAVIS, KEANE, etc. No other band from 80´s has been so important, except U2.

I think any serious music discussion must include these bands

THE BEATLES
THE ROLLING STONES
LED ZEPPELIN
PINK FLOYD
U2

:yes:

ponkine said:
I think any serious music discussion must include these bands

THE BEATLES
THE ROLLING STONES
LED ZEPPELIN
PINK FLOYD
U2

:yes:

Absolutely! I would also add the Clash and the Ramones to that list. Even though they didn't have anywhere near the commercial success that the others on the list did, they inspired and influenced more bands than you can shake a stick at - including U2.

"I like to say that Nirvana were the fathers of "alternative" music"

Gah, I like to think that Nirvana ruined rock music for the entire decade. Hair metal had to die, but I just never got into Nirvana whatsoever.

Beatles, I love them, brilliant songwriters and have some of the greatest albums ever.

But are they the best?

The most influential and innovative for sure and undeniably the band which really gave us rock and roll as we've known it for the past four decades.

But are their songs the best sounding songs?

Of course it is a matter of opinion, and thats what makes the debate so difficult to come to a sound conclusion.

But maybe u2 are the best band of all time?

Another problem is is what qualifies a band to be the "best?"

No one knows, but I reckon it's gotta be plucking ten random people (hopefullly 10 random people who havent lived on earth or know of the existence of any music) and making them listen to all the bands that could be the best ever and than getting them to give their opinions on what they reckon sounds best.

That way their opinions wont be contaminated by popular opinion.

Would they say The Beatles sound better than u2?
I dont reckon they would!

For impact in band music, The Beatles take the cake. But is impact on music enough to make you the best band ever? I don't think so.

I'd say without any reservation that U2 are the greatest band ever -better than the Beatles and Elvis rolled into one. Definitely better than Led Zeppelin.

U2 belong in the company of the immortals, the gods --- the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd.

As for those who mentioned the Yardbirds, Queen, The Clash or the Rolling Stones --- well these people belong in a ground called demigods -- together with Bon Jovi, The Eagles, The Police.

But the best of the best is U2 without a doubt.

Cheers,

J

According to an article by Eric Olsen on MSNBC.com, dated Mar 26, 2004, "The 10 Best Rock Bands Ever: A purely subjective list of the groups that changed music forever" they are, ahem:
1)The Beatles
2)The Rolling Stones
3)U2
4)The Grateful Dead
5)Velvet Underground
6)Led Zeppelin
7)Ramones
8)Pink Floyd
9)Bob Marley & The Wailers
10)Sly & The Family Stone

As you can clearly see, Mr. Olsen list our boys several spots ABOVE Zeppelin, which is fine by me. Matter of fact, the only thing wrong I see with this list is that #s 3 & 1 should be switched! :wink:

I think the most succesful and important bands from all times are::yes:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Beach Boys
The Doors
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Queen
Abba
The Ramones
Bob Marley And The Wailers
Sex Pistols
The Clash
The Police
U2
Depeche Mode
R.E.M
Bon Jovi
Metallica
Guns N´Roses
Nirvana
Oasis
Radiohead

At least 80% of the best ever music comes from these bands

;) :up: :wave:

ponkine said:
I think the most succesful and important bands from all times are::yes:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Beach Boys
The Doors
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Queen
Abba
The Ramones
Bob Marley And The Wailers
Sex Pistols
The Clash
The Police
U2
Depeche Mode
R.E.M
Bon Jovi
Metallica
Guns N´Roses
Nirvana
Oasis
Radiohead

At least 80% of the best ever music comes from these bands

;) :up: :wave:

Great list, though I'd strike out Oasis (Beatles rehash) and Radiohead (talentless noise) and put in Rush there.

But still, U2 should be at the top of that list.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Great list, though I'd strike out Oasis (Beatles rehash) and Radiohead (talentless noise) and put in Rush there.

Cheers,

J

fucking no!

woah, how bout this for a post btw the other 20 per cent has got some great music esp. (in my mind ) the undertones

jick said:

Cheers,

J

jajajajaja you didn´t understand my friend :lol: is a list from the 60´s to 90´s !!!! :yes:

:wave:

I think they have to be put up there with the Stones and the Beatles. Led Zeppelin and Floyd also get my votes, I'd put Clash and Who in my top 10.

I think they are the greatest band of all time but I can understand when someone would put any of these bands ahead of them. However, the thing is none of these bands really puts out music anymore (the stones do but their done), and u2 have a few albums left in them. With this new album, which is great, it will move them up a spot or two on peoples lists. I think when its all said and done, they will be the greatest band ever.

Admittedly, the Beatles had a more consistently strong run of great work in an incredibly short period of time, but here's how I look at it. I think that U2's highs are higher than the Beatles' highs, meaning that when I look at U2's finest moments (these could be entire songs or just portions of songs) they rank higher to me than the Beatles finest moments. This thinking is how I tend to rank U2 higher than the Beatles even though the Beatles practically invented pop music and then reinvented it with Sgt. Peppers. They are easily the greatest practitioners of pop/rock music ever, but I guess that just isn't enough for me.

What band has released albums in three different decades...three different decades...and has experimented vastly while at the same time never repeating themselves in any album??? ONLY U2 PERIOD

Zoomosapien said:
What band has released albums in three different decades...three different decades...and has experimented vastly while at the same time never repeating themselves in any album??? ONLY U2 PERIOD

AMEN:yes: :up:

my opinion is that u2 is the greatest band of all time.

but having said that what are we judging them on.
the most albums, being together the longest, personallity, or something totally different.

dont quote me but i think the beatles are the greatest band for the most albums released.

which band has been together the longest - world wide?

u2 definitally have the best personality.

u2 songs are powerful and emotional.

then there is the other irish band clannad: how many albums have they released (maybe more than the beatles?)

next to u2 they are the best band i have heard
anyone else listen to clannad?

jick said:

The Clash belong in a ground called demigods -- together with Bon Jovi

This makes me want to roll around in cow pheromones and lock myself in a small cage with a horny bull. Abuse me! It can't be any worse than equating the Clash with Bon Jovi. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom