U2 being so quiet and mysterious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkdominatr

Refugee
Why are U2 being so quiet about everything. The new album and its recording have been behind locked doors. All bands today have weekly updates about recording and so forth, but U2 have stopped this. but i guess it will be a nice surprise in the long run.

it will be a nice suprise in the long run but for the most part u2 have been like this. except for leaks such as the discotheque' and achtung baby working tapes being leaked out they usually are hush hush until the time is right.

It would be really cool if they would occasionally answer questions on u2.com's Zootopia forum...that would make up for a lot of no new news...

I think alot of bands these days are either afraid their fanbase has ADD and might forget about them if they don't constantly barrage people with new information, or perhaps U2 don't feel the need to say much very often. I'm not sure why they're being quiet - but maybe they're taking some time out for themselves before they have the brightest lights you can think of shining on them for the next two years straight -- if that was what you were staring into, wouldn't you want some peace and quiet?

Also, once the album drops, U2 are going to be everywhere, and on everything. You won't hear enough about them. You won't turn on VH1 without them there. I guess I don't have a problem with silence b/c I don't require constant up to date info from bands I love just to keep myself interested.

Maybe it's just me, but U2 deserves some quiet time to themselves. They've certainly earned it.

Thanks, Angel, I've been wanting to say that for awhile now. :applaud:

Let's give U2 a bit of space for themselves and their families before they start this massive tour which will keep them away from those they love for a long time.

It's the least that we can give them right now - and our POSITIVITY toward their "mysterious ways". :wink:

U2 knows what's best for themselves.... :adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love: ;)

i agree u2 needs time away as does everyone, but does anyone see the irony and how out of whack this is? when most people in the world work year round a get two weeks vacation, and it takes a band years to put out an album and we are talking about there vacation time? i agree i don't need them to rush and i don't mind waiting but i hate hearing about how rock stars need their time for vacation.

Creativity comes with the time to think. U2 are in the creative business, so their vacations can only positively contribute to the outcome of their work. When under pressure it's hard to be inspired, but when relaxed inspiration comes effortlessly.

Besides, people who work year round usually don't have the pressure of releasing albums that are expected to please millions of fans worldwide.

What makes you think that being a musician isn't a year round job and a every minute of every day job? It is. Do you really think that they just sit on their duffs in between when any of us imagine they are working or news articles tell us so? Being a musician is a very tough job, and it does take everything out of a person - just like those of us with 9 to 5's. But the thing is - a rock star can't leave their desk and go home and watch "Friends" at the end of the day over dinner - they don't keep the same hours, nor can they ever leave their desks - they are their desks!

See, these people live in the most bizarre fishbowls you can imagine. Every where you go, people are looking. Every day, you are having to live off of your creative gifts and answer to record labels. And then, you tour for two years at a time! Whoo hoo! Hours of playing and singing your ass off - the energy that goes into working a crowd, the hours of hurry up and wait - the hours of endless travel between gigs.

Listen, I was part of a fishbowl for about 3 years with someone. And I couldn't even walk some dogs w/o getting harrassed and/or photographed while doing so. I've seen the creative process, the breakdowns, the meltdowns, the crying fits when the melody doesn't come. This is a job that doesn't end at 5 - and yes, these people deserve their quiet time.

i'm not saying they don't desere the breaks, my point was they do. but i still say this is so out of whack. u2 is planning and plotting and spending all this money and time to get their album the most publicity possible so the argument of being in a fish bowl is bogus. they have always tried to be as big as possible (which is fine), but some of that goes along with being the biggest band in the world. if they were miserable (which i don't think they are or have ever said as much) then you quit. do something else. as far as being a musician is harder than average job, i don't buy it. they make music for a living, make millions doing it, and then travel and play it. my point is when people start talking about sympathy for the rock stars of the world, i find it funny. This is not an indictment on u2, it was just a comment on how its funny people are saying they "need" these breaks when the average person doesn't live anywhere near the pampered life that u2 lives (bono has said countless times that they have the greatest lives in the world.) . u2 are not miserably slaving away on music year round. do they need a break after finishing up an album, and before a tour starts? sure, but are they just so overworked and we should feel sorry for the poor guys who get payed millions of dollars to play music and travel the world? that is why i think its funny.

Well, I can't say I feel sorry for them as far as making millions of dollars, buy I do feel sorry for anyone who has to spend massive amounts of time away from their family because of their job, no matter how much money they might be making. I'm more than happy that the members of U2 are actually taking a month or two to relax and be with their loved ones before embarking on what will probably be a two-year world tour.

with all due respect, relaxation does not guarantee inspiration and make the creative process effortless. As an artist, I understand that each individual has their own style, but some of my best work comes when i'm under pressure, last minute and being flooded with many things to do. it actually takes more effort to me when theres less going on to get creative. i believe that when things get heavy, art becomes a release. sure, U2 is a business and relaxation would help them put out a better product, but relaxation does not guarantee a thing. there aren't many guarantees in life now that i think of it :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom