U2 B-side Are You Gonna Wait Forever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visiongfx

Acrobat
I don't want to praise about this when its not on the album because in my opinion its not a strong track at all. But what disapoints me is the refrain and how much of a bore it can be to listen to, i mean the opening guitar riff sounds like it should be a very promising song and it kinda sounds like a whole cry out type of song rather than a rocking song. (Obviously it is a rocking song but you know what i mean right?)

So when i first heard the song i was like ugh why did they do it this way? And i thought of a better version that to me could of been a better song all together (with a more macho bono than this bono). I meanits not like i hate his voice but let me put it this way:

- Opening guitar riff
- Bono singing (the fly voice) (all the obstacles...)
- And just before it hits the refrain the opening riff plays again but with Bono saying "are you gonna wait....forever?" without the long yelling quality to it, but rather with his fly voice.
- Also no echo of the chorus either, and sing "are you gonnna wait forever" only once instead of twice or more...

So yeah, the rest pretty much is like that, and to me a different voice gives the song a whole different look, but the song is fine the way it is too, its just me being imaginative.....and its rather hard to explain it when its in my head.

Yeah something i just had to get off me beecause i've been thinking about it for awhile now and idk i just think it sounds cooler....

-K

Last edited:

it's a great song and could obviously be better.

they didn't try too hard it's a bside.

obviously it could be better, but it's awesome.

The lyrics in the refrain are TERRIBLE.

But it's a good song overall. Love that riff.

I love this song. I dont know why but I really do. I would love to see it remastered or whatever they do to it to make it sound better :wink:

Cracking song, has rustic charm. You get the feeling it was never intended to be spectacular...

I'm with Sicy on this one. I can't explain what I like about it, I just like it. I'm sure if I broke it down section by section, I might feel differently, but it's one of their strongest b-sides since "The Golden Age Of U2 B-Sides" aka 1987-1992.

Obviously a leftover track from ATYCLB...at least it has that feel for me. I love Edge's guitar riff and I think that with a more inspired vocal it coulda been a contender, but what we're left with is one of U2's stronger B-Sides this century...:yes:

Of the 'leftovers' from the last 10 years, this one is at the bottom of the heap for me.

Give me some 'Smile' any day.

I really like this song. Definitely one of, if not their best b-side this century, this and smile. Of course, as others have said, it could be improved upon, but it is a b-side. I like the lyrics alot, they speak to some of my personal experiences. With a little bit of tweaking, I would not have minded this making it over ABOY. But that is about the only gripe I have w/ HTDAAB. Overall, a great b-side.

Just me, or does anyone else think it sounds a LITTLE like Bryan Adams' summer of 69??

I applied this song to my own life a lot last year. The song certainly isn't perfect, but it has some good lyrics, and an overall message that really stood out to me at the time. Basically I used the song to encourage myself to stop waiting, and start living.

The lyrics I liked most ate these:

Getting out from under my bed now
I'm gonna say the things I should've said now
Getting closer, getting closer to what's true
Gonna find myself in you

and

Don't trade your dreams for some small change

And of course the whole outtro, where you have the repetition of "Are you gonna wait forever?" followed by "Or is it now?" Because 'now' is the time to stop waiting and start living :)

My biggest complaint with the song though is how whiney Bono's voice sounds :down:

Back
Top Bottom