U2 at the Grammy's this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffo17

Acrobat
I suppose they will be at the grammy's seeing they are nominated for 2 awards....

Do you thin they will peform or present anything? or feature in anyway?

They're only being nominated for collaborations, so i doubt they will be there. Haven't read anywhere they're showing up. Sure wish they were........... :mad:

Category 8

Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals
(For a collaborative performance, with vocals, by artists who do not normally perform together. Singles or Tracks only.)
One
Mary J. Blige & U2
Track from: The Breakthrough
[Geffen/Matriarch Records]

Category 16

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
(For duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)
The Saints Are Coming
U2 & Green Day
[Interscope Records/Warner Bros.]

Wouldn't it be curious , that Album of year was stolen from Achtung , and now this Mary's one won ?

LemonMacPhisto said:
How does that relate at all to anything?

Aaammm :eyebrow: I guess One was from Achtung Baby right ? Many u2 fans saw as a injustice Achtung losing the grammy

Now a cover version by Mary J Blige , which many fans see as :yuck: Now if this cover won , people who didn't like the cover , could see the grammy with even worse eyes

Like it didn't give the award to a master-piece quality , but now is giving to a 'commercial mainstream ' ruin of the song

J_NP said:

Aaammm :eyebrow: I guess One was from Achtung Baby right ? Many u2 fans saw as a injustice Achtung losing the grammy

Now a cover version by Mary J Blige , which many fans see as :yuck: Now if this cover won , people who didn't like the cover , could see the grammy with even worse eyes

Like it didn't give the award to a master-piece quality , but now is giving to a 'commercial mainstream ' ruin of the song

Agreed. It's ridiculous.

I'm so over people getting their panties in a wad over the Mary J Blige cover.

No one who really cares about music should take the Grammys that seriously*. It's not the end of the world, nor is it a travesty if she were to win.

*That being said, I reserve the right to pitch a hissy fit if someone I hate wins something. :wink:

Last edited:
JCOSTER said:
I haven't heard that they will be there. I don't think they are going to show up. :(

:applaud: That's the best news I've heard in months!

Aren't you all sick of U2 already? I think they need to go away for a year or something and bring us something new!

Zootlesque said:

Aren't you all sick of U2 already? I think they need to go away for a year or something and bring us something new!
Yes, I guess that's the reason we are all hanging around here, because we are SO SICK of them. :scratch:

last unicorn said:

Yes, I guess that's the reason we are all hanging around here, because we are SO SICK of them. :scratch:

ya took the words right out of my mouth

But in all seriousness, I would like to see them win for "Saints"

I am now done putting in my two cents

Headache in a Suitcase said:
wouldn't be shocked if they showed up to play with green day... or at least the edge and/or bono showed up. wouldn't be shocked if they didn't, either.

I agree

I'll bet they sing Saints with Green Day. And the N.O. musicians who played with them at the Superdome will appear as well. Just a hunch.

can i ask just what is the main issue people have with the One cover...if you say its mainstream...think that its the U2 song alot of people know them by already, its been in charity commercials, its been covered by everybody (ahem bank of america) its just been out there for a long time, plus i was excited to hear it on the radio again. If people say it was too hip hop, too R&B, i'd really like to know WHERE? there were no sampled tracks, no DJ spinning. Yes it was a harder edged (no pun intended) version of One, larry's drumming was different and the bassline was different but thats about it. Plus didn't U2 once record at Sun City studios...a promiment R&B studio in the 80's during Rattle & Hum??? Doesn't Bono constantly talk about listening to classic Jazz and R&B. As far as I know...MJB has a hell of a voice...she hits notes perfectly, the remake itself wasn't off tone, wasn't ruined, just added a beautiful female voice. As for the complaints that Bono doesn't get enough singing time, well of course he doesn't, its her CD. You don't buy a MJB cd to hear other people run over her parts. I don't see why people are afraid or dislike a little change. Yes there are some splendid versions of the song, and although this isn't the definate version...I think people have massivley overblown dislike for this song.

europop2005 said:
can i ask just what is the main issue people have with the One cover...if you say its mainstream...think that its the U2 song alot of people know them by already, its been in charity commercials, its been covered by everybody (ahem bank of america) its just been out there for a long time, plus i was excited to hear it on the radio again. If people say it was too hip hop, too R&B, i'd really like to know WHERE? there were no sampled tracks, no DJ spinning. Yes it was a harder edged (no pun intended) version of One, larry's drumming was different and the bassline was different but thats about it. Plus didn't U2 once record at Sun City studios...a promiment R&B studio in the 80's during Rattle & Hum??? Doesn't Bono constantly talk about listening to classic Jazz and R&B. As far as I know...MJB has a hell of a voice...she hits notes perfectly, the remake itself wasn't off tone, wasn't ruined, just added a beautiful female voice. As for the complaints that Bono doesn't get enough singing time, well of course he doesn't, its her CD. You don't buy a MJB cd to hear other people run over her parts. I don't see why people are afraid or dislike a little change. Yes there are some splendid versions of the song, and although this isn't the definate version...I think people have massivley overblown dislike for this song.
She (with U2's help) blew the song. It's a bad cover/version.

europop2005 said:

R&B is a complete different genre than Rock.... MJB's voice is beautiful with HER OWN SONGS....
I HATE how her voice sounds when she sings one... I am not afraid of a little change, I just hate the fact how she screwed this song! and for the video... all the diva stuff in it, and wtf is with her moves? she's worse than Bono's 'Omg I'm wearing guitar' moves!

Back
Top Bottom