U2 at JAZZ FEST '06?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catman

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I was watching the local news today, and much to my surprise... they reported that U2 are in talks to play Jazz Fest in New Orleans next year in April!

I have the segment on my TiVo, but am totally lost as to how to convert it to my computer (is it possible to do that??)... kay, *crosses fingers* I hope U2 can manage to squeeze in a date or 2 between their behometh Vertigo World Tour next year in New Orleans!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Last edited:
Interesting that none of the rumored band are even close to being jazz.

But then again this year it may end up more a rebuild New Orleans gig...

Who knows?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Interesting that none of the rumored band are even close to being jazz.

I was just going to say that. Do people who invent these rumors even know what jazz is? Apparently not, or they wouldn't come up with things like this.

Seriously, U2 at a jazz festival... :|

I would seriously love that! And I bet Adam would too!:wink:
It would also be pretty wonderful if the JazzFest turned into a rebuild/celebrate NO type of event. It's all good!

...After touring the city, Edge had dinner at Restaurant August—a city landmark that has reopened just days earlier—with New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival organizer Quint Davis and Louisiana Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu. Davis said JazzFest would return to the Fair Grounds in 2006, and Edge checked his calendar, giving Davis hope that U2 would headline the event....
from Rolling Stone - dec 15, 2005.

Hmm the tracks from The Ground Beneath Her Feet always had a small jazz club feel to me...and what about a Jazz version of If You Wear that Velvet Dress? I could imagine that.....but jazz Mofo:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Um, y'all know that Jazz Fest has more than just jazz musicians every year, right? :uhoh:
Dave Matthews has played quite a few years and they always have a heavy schedule of rock bands. IMO, I do not think U2 will show up for this.

LJT said:
Hmm the tracks from The Ground Beneath Her Feet always had a small jazz club feel to me...and what about a Jazz version of If You Wear that Velvet Dress? I could imagine that.....but jazz Mofo:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Adam rocks the bass.:drool:

Axver said:
Maybe U2's next re-invention will be as a jazz band. :wink:

I would seriously love that :up:

But yeah, as someone else already said, it's not all jazz musicians that play at this festival... heck, this year WILCO performed, so why not U2, right :wink:

Anyway, I hope the rumors ARE true... that would spectacular!

LJT said:
what about a Jazz version of If You Wear that Velvet Dress? I could imagine that.....but jazz Mofo:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Hmm, Velvet Dress and Mofo are bad choices for a jazz version. Mofo has a very un-jazzy rythm, and Velvet Dress would rather be lounge than jazz.

Though making jazz versions of U2 songs seems a neat idea, I'm up for it! :)

U2dork said:
Um, y'all know that Jazz Fest has more than just jazz musicians every year, right? :uhoh:
Dave Matthews has played quite a few years and they always have a heavy schedule of rock bands. IMO, I do not think U2 will show up for this.

Perhaps Edge and Adam would show up?

I think Adam would like to do it, just to do something a bit different on bass.

I actually listened to an interview with him from about 15 years ago, saying he'd gotten a little bored with 4/4 bass playing.

Larry's father wanted Larry to be in Jazz band.

Well, the reason I don't think they'll be attending as a band is because it's not like U2 does a lot of festival gigs. I mean, I suppose they might make an exception for a such a worthy cause as this years festival will be, but I just don't think it will happen. I think Edge was just being nice in the Rollingstone article. Now, it's entirely possible that individual band members will show up, but that's not quite the same thing as a U2 gig, is it?
That being said, if it does happen, I'm soooo there. I've had a blast at the Jazzfests I've been to and look forward to going again someday.

And again, Jazzfest is just what they call it. It doesn't mean all of the acts that play incorporate jazz in some form.

Last edited:
Jazz hands!

jazzhands.jpg

Last edited:
Well they could do

Ground Beneath Her Feet
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Please
A Man and a Woman
Your Blue Room

hell...I dunno :ohmy: :eyebrow:

Some of you have no idea. :tsk:

We all know Lemon has defined jazz since 1993.

U2 are totally about to continue where Lemon left off and morph into a jazz band. You heard it here first.

:wink:

Axver said:
Some of you have no idea. :tsk:

We all know Lemon has defined jazz since 1993.

U2 are totally about to continue where Lemon left off and morph into a jazz band. You heard it here first.

For those slow on the uptake: he's joking, Lemon is not really jazz. ;)

Actually it's more ska-ish. And no, ska is NOT a sub-genre of jazz. :wink:

WalkOn21 said:

For those slow on the uptake: he's joking, Lemon is not really jazz. ;)

That's what the old jazz stars want you to believe. :tsk:

WalkOn21 said:

Actually it's more ska-ish. And no, ska is NOT a sub-genre of jazz. :wink:

Nono, if anything Lemon has helped shape the face of modern hip hop music as we know it. Midnight is where the skeet begins.

:drool:

In other news..

PLAY THE JAZZ, EDGE! :wink:

I'm surprised that no one here really seems to know much about this festival - it is one of the BEST annual music festivals in the USA!

It is the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Music festival which has been held for MANY years in April in N.O.

The Heritage part is where non-jazz groups come into the festival equation and with the efforts that Edge is putting into the Music Rising endeavor for N.O., it wouldn't surprise me if U2 played the Fest!

In fact, I hope they do.:wink:

Here is a fact sheet regarding the festival:

http://www.nojazzfest.com/special/faq.html :dancing:

Thank you Jamila for clarifying what I was trying to point out. I was too lazy to look for links. :)

With all of the new rumors about Hawaii being the last date in April, I'm not sure what to think anymore. They'll certainly be free, as Jazzfest usually happens the latter part of April and first part of May, but I kinda think they might just pack it up and head home after the last show.

You know, any of the rumored big acts would be great to see. I think I might start making some vacation plans...:hmm:

This was originally a rumor from Offbeat Magazine, the NO & Louisiana music magazine, saying they had confirmed & booked travel already.

Jazzfest is basically THE spring music festival in the South, and after that, a lot of the bands go on to play the Memphis In May Music Festival the following weekend (1st weekend in May) and do smaller show dates for the next few weeks.

I hope it's true!! With Music Rising, it wouldn't surprise me....but man....talk about a crowd....it's crowded enough down there usually!

Back
Top Bottom