U2 at Dem Convention ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Kitten said:
Oh yes, he's being used and he knows it, but he's doing it for a good cause. The politicians, on the other hand, are also being used, because he hates them and everything they stand for, yet he kisses their asses and tries to be nice to them to get what he wants. I'm saying, if someone secretly doens't like me, I don't want them to be 2 faced and pretend to be nice to get what they want. It would piss me off. Of course, when it's a cause as important as that, the only thing that matters is saving lives as quickly as possible before it's too late. But politics is all so phoney. I could never do it either, ThatGuy :tsk:

"We wouldn't get any more of him if he wasn't doing this stuff," Clayton says, noting that it's great fun to watch Bono turn his acuity and Irish charm on politicians and CEOs. "These guys don't expect him to have a grasp of the subject matter. He's able to go in with the facts and figures, talk circles around them, and suddenly, where they thought they were just going to get their picture taken with him, he's gotten something out of them before the picture."

Bono knows he's being used, but HE IS helping things along, I read in that Time special about 100 influential people. Jeffrey Sachs was recalling, how Bono was saying they needed the whole $435 million, for debt cancellation (he talks about it in his Harvard class graduation speech) and they got it. There were some nay-sayers, saying for less than the $435,... Bono said he'd put of pictures of those naysers on video screens at U2 concerts, and it must've worked cos they got the $435 million.

Not that U2 don't follow up on American elections, but they are an Irish band. Larry and Adam have expresssed this sentiment, they shouldn't be endorsing any candidates that they can't elect anyway, and who won't have a direct effect on them because they don't live in that country, as it's citizens. Bono called Clinton when he was President too, but Clinton picked up the phone a few times I guess. Bono as Macphisto, did say that, "he [Clinton] is too tall to be a despot, but watch him closely." Is that not a slight on him?

He referred to Jaques Chirac as a wanker for nuclear testing.

Bono made comments as Macphisto about many politicians, the Pope, Bono was an equal opportunity "slagger offer". (made up term ;))

I'm guessing the politicians are using some loop hole so they don't have to pay royalties. Bono has to be bi-partisan, if he wants to get anything done with the American Congress, if they let Kerry use one of their songs, then they'll have to let other parties too, if not, and they say, "hey Bush don't use our songs, " then they'll look partisan, and Bono will only have more hoops of fire to jump through.

(07-01-2004) Bono Slated for Kennedy Tribute -- AP*
Bono Slated for Kennedy Tribute

By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - When the Democrats descend on Boston for their national convention this month, there will be no escaping the Kennedys. A tribute to family patriarch Ted, the dedication of a memorial to Rose and a remembrance of Bobby as well as the attendance of A-list movie and music stars could overshadow JFK ? Democratic presidential candidate John F. Kerry.

The purpose of the four-day convention is to hail Kerry, the state's junior senator, and crown him as the Democratic Party's nominee. But Edward Kennedy, the state's senior senator, generations of his family and their legacy loom large.

"Many of the convention events are going to be at the Kennedy Library, you're going to drive down John F. Kennedy Boulevard, you're going to pass in front of the John F. Kennedy courthouse and look at the statue of John F. Kennedy in front of the statehouse," said Sen. Christopher J. Dodd, D-Conn., a close Kennedy friend. "For modern Democrats, you can't dissociate the city of Boston, the state of Massachusetts and the Kennedy family."

By sheer numbers, the Kennedys will be omnipresent. Sen. Edward Kennedy is expecting more than 100 family members to attend the convention beginning July 26, and he has reserved about 100 rooms at a single hotel.

He expects his niece, Maria Shriver, but not her husband, California Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who is scheduled to speak at the Republican National Convention in New York in August.

Kennedy will address the Democratic convention in prime time on the second night, and then head to a tribute at Symphony Hall honoring his more than four decades of public service. Headliners for the salute include U2's Bono, composer and former Boston Pops conductor John Williams and cellist Yo-Yo Ma.

"Boston is home to our family," Kennedy said in a recent interview. "It's a wonderful thing to get a chance to have the Democratic Party, which has been an instrument for social change and economic progress, to come there and nominate a native son. All the stars have lined up."

On the first day, Kennedy family and friends will gather near Boston's North End for the formal dedication of the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway, a 30-acre stretch of parkland that will wind through downtown Boston atop the old Central Artery highway. Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy died in January 1995 at the age of 104.

On the first night, the Kennedy family will attend a star-studded cocktail reception and fund-raiser for the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial, a nonprofit organization named after the former attorney general and New York senator who was assassinated after winning the California Democratic presidential primary in 1968.

Tickets to the invitation-only event at the Boston College Club range from $1,000 to $50,000, with some 300 to 400 guests expected. Among the celebrities on the guest list are actresses Meg Ryan, Demi Moore and Susan Sarandon, and recent Oscar winner Tim Robbins.

Kerry is an honorary chairman of the event.

Democrats are quick to emphasize that the convention is all about nominating Kerry as the challenger to President Bush and energizing the party faithful for the Nov. 2 election. They argue that the Kennedy events will not overshadow the White House candidate.

"It's a big convention, a big party," said Kerry spokesman Michael Meehan. "We have a lot of great friends who will be there to nominate John Kerry. It's John Kerry's hometown, and Senator Kennedy's hometown ? there will be a lot of energy and excitement."

Smaller but no less exclusive events include a luncheon on the third day hosted by Kennedy and Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D., for senators and their families at the JFK Library. Kennedy's wife, Victoria Reggie Kennedy, will host a luncheon on the second day for Teresa Heinz Kerry, wife of the candidate.

The prospect of the Kennedys in the spotlight at the convention is welcome news to the Republicans. Through the years, GOP candidates have used Edward Kennedy's image to raise money and energize conservative voters.

"This presents an opportunity to showcase the fact that Ted Kennedy is the conservative senator from Massachusetts," said Republican National Committee spokeswoman Christine Iverson. "And if Ted Kennedy is the icon of the liberal wing of the Democratic Party, John Kerry's voting record is even more out of the mainstream."

Bono is friendly w/ some of the Shrivers, and maybe some of the Kennedys-who knows. I don't see what's wrong w/ him attending that function as a friend to the family. People attend functions all the time for friends, that doesn't mean they're there endorsing their politics. I don't think this tribute is some sort of political/convention official event-it's not like Bono is making a speech at the convention itself endorsing Kerry.

Bono can do what he wants :shrug:

Everyone gets used in politics. There's lots of pretending all around, and it's a dirty business. For as much as I'm interested in politics, I don't think I could ever be involved in it. I admire Bono for being able to wade through it all to fight for a cause he believes in

Me to only because I grew up with it on a smaller level I now what a crap game politics is and what it takes to be able to play it well and Bono does ..it's more then a dirty business and it takes thick skin alot of guts and a very smart man to put himself on the line the way Bono does.. It's never been a secret which way Bono leans and his close ties to the Kennedy's and Shrivers .. The the thing that impresses me is when Bono and all politicians put the game aside to put this emergency first .. the Republicans have done this to some degree and although I dont support them I respect anyone who can put political game aside for one moment and look to what matters and be able to work through it.. there's that moment I'm sure where you feel like your shaking hands with the devil .. you have to be diplomatic and Bono is great at it..otherwise he would have never gotten this far.. it's never been a secret which way he leans.. the republicans know that

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Why not? He was a big proponent of Bono's political movement for Africa.

I know Bono can do what he wants, but I do think he is supporting Kerry by attending this tribute.

Oh well, nothing I can do:shrug:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Bono is friendly w/ some of the Shrivers, and maybe some of the Kennedys-who knows. I don't see what's wrong w/ him attending that function as a friend to the family. People attend functions all the time for friends, that doesn't mean they're there endorsing their politics. I don't think this tribute is some sort of political/convention official event-it's not like Bono is making a speech at the convention itself endorsing Kerry.

Bono can do what he wants :shrug:

especially if what he wants to do is in boston :shifty:

U2Kitten said:

My point exactly. By allowing the song to be used, even if only by not stopping its use, is an open endorsement of the Kerry campaign.

Speaking of them being 'political', you know, if Bush had more sense he could see that Bono didn't really like him and he was only being used for whatever good he can get out of him for his causes. If it were me, I'd be pissed. Once you get involved in politics, the two faceness and ass kissing must kick in.

Well then, it's probably a good thing you aren't the president. ;)

Why is Bono suddenly "two-faced"? Why was he "kissing ass"? Do you know this? Were you there?

Bono is trying to remove debt from 3rd World countries. In order to do this, he has to meet with the leaders of more affluent nations. In the U.S., that is now George Bush. Bono may not like him one bit - but this is the person he has to meet in order to accomplish his goals.

And these are very noble goals. It's not like Bono wants a reduction in his taxes for U2's next tour or his new home in NYC. Bono is trying to save millions of lives. This goes well beyond politcal partisanship.

You may nod your head and say that's fine, but what about Bono attending the Democratic convention or U2 allowing the use of their song. I say, "So what?" So what if U2 allows the Democrats the use of their song? It *is* their song and they are free to let whomever they want use it. Maybe U2 do support Kerry more - can't say I blame them. I'm not anti-Republican by any means, but I haven't seen much good come from "W". However, Bono's "theoretical" support of Kerry doesn't exclude him from interacting with Bush. Just because I support one person in a political race, it doesn't mean I can't talk to his opponent! You make it sound like it's a crime for Bono to dare even think of talking to Kerry after speaking to Bush!!

In essence, Bono is a lobbyist - and perhaps the most important lobbyist ever. He isn't lobbying for tobacco or farmer's rights or for a tax break for big business - he's lobbying for the lives of millions of people. If you can't see that this goes beyond politics, that Bono has to deal with BOTH Republicans and Democrats to get this done, then I guess there really is no argument.

u2ulysses said:

In essence, Bono is a lobbyist - and perhaps the most important lobbyist ever. He isn't lobbying for tobacco or farmer's rights or for a tax break for big business - he's lobbying for the lives of millions of people. If you can't see that this goes beyond politics, that Bono has to deal with BOTH Republicans and Democrats to get this done, then I guess there really is no argument.

Of course I do!!!! That's what I mean about two faced and kissing both asses. You have to pretend to like both of them to get what you want! I also have said over and over that because he is trying to save lives, it's too important a position to risk by alienating one side or the other.

No doubt in my mind, that Bono has been and is and will continue to be one of the most influential lobyists on this .. sometimes I wonder at the things he does but this guys has a much greater understanding and has been in the thick of the political dealings when I have not.. so I am sure he has a handle on what he should and should not do.. he wouldnt do anything to lesson DATA'S position in Washington or anywhere else

I give the Republicans much more credit then to be that petty holding an grudge against this irishmen for showing up at Ted's salute.. moreover holding it against an emergency which
is bigger then political affiliation.. they won't do that and knowing the Bono he will prolly make some sort of point about no supporting any political party but being there to salute a friend..

So tell me again....
why were there no Republican committee tables at the DATA campaign rally in Philly?
The Rev. Herb Lusk was key in promoting that rally, and a rousing speaker... and is right up there in supporting Bush.

There were several Democratic tables....
A table for Kerry. A few different Democratic committees, mostly HIV and GLBT-related.

nothing. at. all. from the RNC.

Tell me again why he shouldn't work with politicians from the group showing the most support for DATA? :madspit: :madspit: :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

Let's put it this way Wolfy- my opinion of Ted Kennedy is far, far, FAR lower than yours of Reagan, and I know that is very low itself.

Most of the Jubilee tables I've seen were not partisan or political, only for the cause itself. I don't think just because no republican candidates set up a table that day that none of them support DATA, and you can't say that because of that more dems support it, who knows until the votes in congress are counted? Again, if he needs both sides, don't take sides!!!!

I don't like playing politics and taking sides, I think it hurts your cause more than helps it. Not that he has done that before, and I hope he won't start but I still don't like the looks of this. He has been historically so cool about not taking sides, even in Ireland, so this bothers me. I don't know what else I can say, that's how I feel.

They have counted the votes in Congress supporting reducing the debt and appropriating money for hte Global Aids Fund. The 2.6 million would have never passed if they had not forced 1/3 to go to faith based charities, who recommend abstinence and not condoms.

I have to give my Republican Senator credit for working towards that and for continuing to remind the Senate about the crisis in Sudan. Though they have yet to get off their asses and do anything about it.

neutral said:

I know Kerry has used Beautiful Day as he makes an entrance at a campaign stop. But you guys probably already knew that. ;)

Dean used "Where The Streets Have No Name" at his big Iowa convention....then the voters in that state decided to choose a boring man who takes no real stances on the issues.
:(

It really makes no difference to me even if Bono is endorsing Kerry.

He keeps coming around and having photo ops and speeches with/for Paul Martin in Canada. He has great respect for the man's committment in Africa. While that is honorable, I did not vote for Paul Martin nor did I ever consider so just because Bono prefers him. I couldn't care less and voted for the party which I thought better represented my views.

Back
Top Bottom