U2 are Wankers??? They said wankers in the Simpsons?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazyboy

War Child
Well, ya know the episode of the Simpsons with U2 in it.....well me and a few of the lads from the college house were watchin it yesterday, seen it many times, all of us, but NEVER did they have the wanker bit in it before
eek.gif
This is like daytime tv, wankers is a pretty feckin strong word to use on kids tv! We were all in shock and laughin our asses off. Adam just turns to them when they say he can't come to Moes and goes "wankers!" Huh?!?!
confused.gif
and then at the end in the credits in the plane Burns calls all of em wankers!!!! I've seen this episode many many times, so had the others, and they never did this before! Anyway, just wondering if it is the US edit or something.....funny though!
biggrin.gif

And hey, on a different note, is Bono dyslexic?

Well, they definitely use the term wankers in the US version. It's not really seen as vulgar here- I think most Americans just see it as a silly British/Irish term.

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:
Well, they definitely use the term wankers in the US version. It's not really seen as vulgar here- I think most Americans just see it as a silly British/Irish term.

Yep.

Ye serious? That's gas!! We were gobsmacked! Ah I dunno, we do have our own brand of "English"
biggrin.gif
Thanks for clearin that up, dunno why they finally decided to show it in the episode they show in the Kids TV part of the day!

What about the dyslexic issue, any of ye shine any light on that? Some guy said it to me

I never thought about how that would sound in Ireland and the UK but I guess it would be like Adam calling them "pricks" or "dicks" on American TV. That wouldn't go over very well.

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
I never thought about how that would sound in Ireland and the UK but I guess it would be like Adam calling them "pricks" or "dicks" on American TV. That wouldn't go over very well.

Or one who indulges in onanistic fantasies, i.e., he's a "master-debator."
biggrin.gif
My friend from Dublin implied that's what this means ("to wank": to pull one's p*d, to self-stimulate, to... well, you get the idea). So for day-time TV, using a term like "wanker" is pretty funny. Then again, based on the normal vernacular of the Irish people I know, "wanker" is like "water."
wink.gif
There are far stronger words used by kids.

Peg Bundies maiden name was Wanker.

And while on this subject here are the three differences between England and America.

1 - In England we speak English.
2 - When we have a World Series we invite teams from other countries
and ?
3 - When we meet the head of state we only have to go down on one knee.

(But I would still rather live in San Diego)

Originally posted by Eliv8:
Peg Bundies maiden name was Wanker.

2 - When we have a World Series we invite teams from other countries
and ?
(

FYI...and so you don't get called ignorant by some equally ignorant American...its called the World Series because that was the name of the newspaper that sponsered the first event...The New York Daily World I believe....not because it was supposed to be some kind of 'world' event...

You are welcome...

I like San Diego as well...

dream wanderer

Originally posted by doctorwho:
*beats lazyboy*
wink.gif

I'm quite sickened....this....in regards the subject matter of this thread.....and the fact that as I started this reply and the golf commentator on the tv behind me just said "a good whack".........
biggrin.gif
Oh the bad taste!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA!

And one of my friends just told me when he was over in the US, a guy over there had a birthday while he was there and he made a big sign sayin "Happy birthday wanker" after he realised that this meant nothing to people in the US, you guys have been had for the last..........whatever years!!! We've been jackin ye off for years!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

I should stop now.........I'm killin myself here!!! It's so gawwwwwwddaaaaaaaaaamn funny!

Originally posted by lazyboy:
I'm quite sickened....this....in regards the subject matter of this thread.....and the fact that as I started this reply and the golf commentator on the tv behind me just said "a good whack".........
biggrin.gif
Oh the bad taste!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA!

And one of my friends just told me when he was over in the US, a guy over there had a birthday while he was there and he made a big sign sayin "Happy birthday wanker" after he realised that this meant nothing to people in the US, you guys have been had for the last..........whatever years!!! We've been jackin ye off for years!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

I should stop now.........I'm killin myself here!!! It's so gawwwwwwddaaaaaaaaaamn funny!

You kill me lazyboy...hahahaha

Side note: uh...sorry about earlier. Was helping one of my roomies load her car, which took longer than thought. Oh, and then there's the fact that Yahoo Messenger likes to say I'm available when I'm not. The bitch!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Wanker is just as crude here as it is in the UK/Ireland but its not edited from ours.

There's nothing worse than going to the cricket with your Mum when she still asks what it is after the "Members are wankers" chant. She still doesnt know because for all these years we've been making up meanings for it.

------------------
*I am a cowgirl of funk*

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Or one who indulges in onanistic fantasies, i.e., he's a "master-debator."
biggrin.gif
My friend from Dublin implied that's what this means ("to wank": to pull one's p*d, to self-stimulate, to... well, you get the idea). So for day-time TV, using a term like "wanker" is pretty funny. Then again, based on the normal vernacular of the Irish people I know, "wanker" is like "water."
wink.gif
There are far stronger words used by kids.

Is that right Mr "I speak better than Irish kids"?!?!?!? Well feck it, ya probably right, and ya, the shit that comes outta some little bollixes mouths here is awful!

I would love to see a american over here calling someone a wanker thinking its just "a silly brit/irish thing" and then wonders why the hell did they just been given a smack in the face! LOL!

[This message has been edited by what a bomb! (edited 04-20-2002).]

Originally posted by lazyboy:

Is that right Mr "I speak better than Irish kids"?!?!?!? Well feck it, ya probably right, and ya, the shit that comes outta some little bollixes mouths here is awful!

I not only speak better than Irish kids, I speak better than American kids too.

You nationalists - blah.
biggrin.gif

*beats lazyboy*
wink.gif

I meant that considering the language of today's youth, I'm not sure "wanker" would have the effect it did if you were still a child.

zoom I dont' care what you say..next time a man hands me a 20 lb pizza...I'm gonna call him a wanker.

Originally posted by what a bomb!:
I would love to see a american over here calling someone a wanker thinking its just "a silly brit/irish thing" and then wonders why the hell did they just been given a smack in the face! LOL!

LMAO!!!

That episode is the inspiration for my signature, actually.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Yep, when that episode was aired here, they let the term "wankers" in ...

since it was subtitled. The word our TV used was TOUGH - the Slovene equivalent to "f---er".

And on the different note, there's a Bono quote in which he says that "U2 is made of three musicians and a dyslexian."
I always wondered if that was a joke or is he really dyslexic?

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 04-20-2002).]

Originally posted by what a bomb!:

I use to think of the term wanker the same way...lightly. But this reminds me of a party I went to abroad. One English guy called the other "Wanker!", and pretty soon they were beating each other up!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by U2girl:
And on the different note, there's a Bono quote in which he says that "U2 is made of three musicians and a dyslexian."
I always wondered if that was a joke or is he really dyslexic?

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 04-20-2002).]

Thanks U2girl, well I guess there it is, straight from the horses mouth! Not really a thing you'd be bothered jokin about or makin up, being dyslexic, so I guess he is

Back
Top Bottom