U2 and Younger People

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WCF

The Fly
I go to high school, and it seems nobody here listens to U2. People have dozens upon dozens of artists in their iPods, but never do they have any U2. In fact, a lot of people I know hate them. It's always something like "they're too old" to "they just suck" to "Bono is the biggest hypocrite ever" to "they're a bunch of old white guys trying to rock".

I wonder why no young people like them anymore? Is it because they don't have those rippin' guitar solos? Maybe they don't rock enough? Or maybe they just can't appreciate them? It's not like everyone here listens to Fallout Boy or Panic at the Disco, they're no stranger to older music, but it seems U2 doesn't fit into that category. It even gets me thinking, what so unique about U2 that gets people into them in the first place?

When I was in high school people said the same exact thing about bands like Pink Floyd, it's not what's being marketed towards them...

WCF said:
I go to high school, and it seems nobody here listens to U2. People have dozens upon dozens of artists in their iPods, but never do they have any U2. In fact, a lot of people I know hate them. It's always something like "they're too old" to "they just suck" to "Bono is the biggest hypocrite ever" to "they're a bunch of old white guys trying to rock".

I wonder why no young people like them anymore? Is it because they don't have those rippin' guitar solos? Maybe they don't rock enough? Or maybe they just can't appreciate them? It's not like everyone here listens to Fallout Boy or Panic at the Disco, they're no stranger to older music, but it seems U2 doesn't fit into that category. It even gets me thinking, what so unique about U2 that gets people into them in the first place?

It's nothing new I'm afraid, I've been a fan since the early 80's and I've always had this experience. Especially at High School! U2 have never been considered cool by the world at large or to critics or even to teenagers!! Just as well that we know different!

I became a U2 fan when I was 13, and there weren't other kids in school who liked them. It's been 12 years since then, and I'm still remembered as "the U2 fan" by old classmates.

Re: Re: U2 and Younger People

An Cat Gav said:

It's nothing new I'm afraid, I've been a fan since the early 80's and I've always had this experience. Especially at High School! U2 have never been considered cool by the world at large or to critics or even to teenagers!! Just as well that we know different!

Great Post because it mirrors my life in High School too. Back then there were probably five U2 fans in school and we all knew each other and went to the shows and stuff, equally puzzling is that when I talk to them now they ALL can't stand U2.

I never has other kids in JH or HS say anything to me about being a fan.

Maybe their parents aren't fans and they hear them saying Bono is a hypocrite or they are too old?

The sound of the music is what attracted me in the first place.

It wasn't until I was way older that I could appreciate what the songs and words really meant. So maybe, they don't listen because they just don't understand it.

Well, I remember when I was in HS... 10 yrs. ago, that I had somewhat the same going on. I was into different music at the time but I always listened to U2. I came across very few people that liked U2... notice I use the word "liked". I'm sure that there was a huge following back then as well but now with the internet everything is different. I guess it's what ever is mainstream at the time. U2 haven't really been that. Are they still popular? Yeah, they sure are. Not as much with the younger crowd. I assume the young ones want some crap like Fallout boy etc. Remember, U2 have been around for a long time now and for that same exact reason, they have expanded their horizons. These new bands that are up & coming have not. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the new bands but the mainstream ones are just a bunch of BS. Do they need to rock more? Perhaps, if they want to get that audiences attention.

I recently read a quote by Edge "we're the biggest little cult band in the world."

That sums it up nicely. As the other people who've replied have said, there have always been many who didn't like them. As "mainstream" as they can sometimes appear, they really are not "mainstream." I'd say that any time they "appear mainstream" it's because they're seeking to improve the mainstream, not join//follow it. There's a subtle but very important difference.

I can't speak to all the new bands coming up, I don't want to paint them all with the same brush, that'd be unfair to them. There may be the U2 of the next generation in there among them. I generally don't agree that Coldplay are the next U2. I agree with another U2 fan I once heard say that Coldplay are too much like U2 to be the next U2.

U2 have always stood out (in my eyes at least) by straddling the fence between "obscure" (insert other terms du jour here: indie//underground//alternative) and mainstream.

To those who are committed to being "underground", they seem mainstream, to the mainstream, they seem "alternative."

They are U2. The fact that they defy categorization is one of their strengths. In the past 6 or 7 years though, they've appeared more 'mainstream' and this may be why younger folk who don't know their history see them as "old white guys trying to rock."

I am certain they have more huge surprises up their sleeve, I can see it in quotes I've heard from them recently, but that's hard to explain to someone who's only been aware of them for 4 or 5 years, as they have seemed more predictable so far this decade.

The bottom line is, you like them, and you have good taste for doing so! It doesn't matter what others think. ;-)

I go to High school too, and It's the same, my friends always laugh about my listening to U2 it seems to them that It's something odd, even one my friend who likes older artist which were popular in past decades hates them. They all only judge by few songs heard in radio, but I believe that if they would listen to some unconventional or less known songs from u2 their opinion about band would be more positive.

Yeah, I've noticed this ever since I became a fan too! I think it's because they're kinda all over the place when it comes to the music and even the image. They've tried guitar solos but they're not always a guitar heavy band. They've tried ballads but they're not always ballad heavy. They sing about God sometimes, something which may be uncool for some. They've changed their style numerous times, doing a total 180 from the image that they sported before. Bono can come off annoying or egotistical or whatever so I guess that may rub some people the wrong way. I mean, for us fans here, the whole package has somehow clicked and we get attracted to their music over and over again. Guess many people aren't that patient with ever changing bands.

WCF.....Sod em all...........bottom line is this...........in 20 yrs tiime when yer reminising, your gonna be able to refer to u2 and ppl will know who yer talking about........the bands yer peers are now into will long since be forgotten!! So u will have the last laff. GOOD ON YA, Ya got good taste!

I know a few high school kids who were not fans until they went to a concert with thier parents, now they really like U2! We need to get the entire generation to a concert, then maybe they will start to get it!

I am also wondering if some of the problem is the type of music that is "popular" at the moment. It is constantly played on the radio and to me is somewhat dumbed down. I was listing to U2 in the car the other day, and I asked my husband why songs with great meaningful lyrics like this are not played on the radio anymore. He thought itallowed the listener not to think. Listening to U2 you really need to take in and wrestle with the lyric, which makes the entire song more moving and powerful.

My two cents.

Re: Re: U2 and Younger People

U2Man said:

is that what they teach kids in school nowadays? unbelievable. :tsk:

Sadly, it is :tsk:
It's the same at my school. A few people will say they're good live or the iPod is cool, but I was sitting beside someone (who, bless her, didn't know I was a fan) said that U2 were boring and never did anything new. I wanted to magically make the Zooropa and Pop album to appear and say, "Really? Is that what you REALLY think?!" But, y'know, I'm still having problems with 'Wingardium Leviosa' atm, so that idea went out the window...

But at least most people by now know I'm a U2 fan. I left my U2 iPod in class once and everyone knew it belonged to me! :lol: Still, 99.9% of the time it's the whole 'Bono's a hyprocrite' and 'Bono flew his hat first class on a private jet. How many mouths could he have fed with that?' Funny enough, no-one really mentions his age, though. :huh:

Re: Re: Re: U2 and Younger People

evillaurd said:

Still, 99.9% of the time it's the whole 'Bono's a hyprocrite' and 'Bono flew his hat first class on a private jet. How many mouths could he have fed with that?'

I can't stand it how that story keeps going around and people believe it. It's NOT true! The Sun made it up, the Sun the same paper who posted the bogus Bono and Ali and baby pics in 2001. The hat they said he 'couldn't live without' the 'flying fedora' didn't look like any hat he was wearing at the time. It vaguely resembled the Sweetest Thing hat, but this was 2004 and he hadn't worn it in years. It was the concert in Italy with Pavoratti he was at which was where he allegedly had the hat flown to- and on PLEBA we had lots of pics of him at that show where he wore a GREEN ARMY HAT ('the green monstrosity' to PLEBAns) There was no flying hat. You can tell people that for a fact. It's a stupid rumor that's long outlived its own legend.

Funny enough, no-one really mentions his age, though. :huh:

They do from what I hear. "Old" is a HUGE part of it. They think the band look and sound old. I know most of you will disagree, but the fact remains most teenagers do not see them the way you do. Also most of their songs are now mellow ballads about their wives, kids and dead parents. This is not in most cases stuff teens like or relate to. But that's okay, there will always be some teens who do, and lots of other fans too.

Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and Younger People

U2Kitten said:
There was no flying hat.

:lol:

I dunno ... something about that sentence all by itself makes me giggle an awful lot.

Just wanted to see it again.

:lol:

(Um, I'll just excuse myself now ... :reject: )

Flying hat! :lol:

Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and Younger People

U2Kitten said:

I can't stand it how that story keeps going around and people believe it. It's NOT true! The Sun made it up, the Sun the same paper who posted the bogus Bono and Ali and baby pics in 2001. The hat they said he 'couldn't live without' the 'flying fedora' didn't look like any hat he was wearing at the time. It vaguely resembled the Sweetest Thing hat, but this was 2004 and he hadn't worn it in years. It was the concert in Italy with Pavoratti he was at which was where he allegedly had the hat flown to- and on PLEBA we had lots of pics of him at that show where he wore a GREEN ARMY HAT ('the green monstrosity' to PLEBAns) There was no flying hat. You can tell people that for a fact. It's a stupid rumor that's long outlived its own legend.

They do from what I hear. "Old" is a HUGE part of it. They think the band look and sound old. I know most of you will disagree, but the fact remains most teenagers do not see them the way you do. Also most of their songs are now mellow ballads about their wives, kids and dead parents. This is not in most cases stuff teens like or relate to. But that's okay, there will always be some teens who do, and lots of other fans too.

My favorite part is that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are almost the exact same age as U2, but for some reason, people my age love them. I would say it's the style of music, but Stadium Arcadium was basically an All That You Can't Leave Behind double album.

I couldn't care less about other people not liking U2 if they listened to them and just disliked them, but when they randomly hate them, that's stupid.

Go listen to some Nickelback or shitty Dave Matthews-soundalike band fellas.

I'm in high school as well, an I am one of the few big U2 fans from school. Although some are casual fans, some also have that whole "Bono is a hypocrite" attitude. Definitely most people who don't like them only know the usual, beautiful day, vertigo, wowy...I think a lot of people would feel diferently if they got more into their lesser known stuff and got to see that their music has a lot more edge and variety than just the well known stuff

it's really interesting that someone mentioned the Chili Peppers.

I just realized for the first time a year or two ago that U2 and the Chili Peppers have become in an odd sort of way, peers to one another- they are basically the same age and though in some ways they seem like very different bands, they do have a lot in common.

U2 have always been about spiritual search and truth and integrity, and the Chili Peppers didn't really start that way, but they seem to have grown more and more into that with age, without losing much if any fire in their music.

To me it's very cool that they opened for U2 at Slane, I would've loved to have seen that.

I'd even go so far as to say they're one of the few bands around that U2 could really learn a few useful things from. I don't expect that to be a popular statement here, but I believe it's true.

For example, a double studio album from U2 would be incredible. And, oh look! They're working with Rick Rubin on the next one. ;-)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and Younger People

LemonMacPhisto said:

My favorite part is that the Red Hot Chili Peppers are almost the exact same age as U2, but for some reason, people my age love them.

I don't want to sound rude, but RHCP are so much more young and vibrant looking and sounding than U2. My oh my Anthony is a hot babe and looks every bit as good as he did 15 years ago, maybe better. Their music and their videos and stage shows are so energetic and lively and they seem much more like a band teenagers can enjoy and relate to. I've never seen a teen have a problem with RHCP, some of them probably think they are a lot younger than they are.

But again, it doesn't matter who likes or doesn't like U2 if we do. And older bands are not always going to attract a young crowd, oh well.

I just graduated in '06' and sadly most of the people in my high school (myself included a lot of the time:reject:) didn't care for much "older music" I didn't really start getting into U2 until this past summer. Once I did, I was hooked. I cannot honestly see how anyone cannot like U2. They are in my mind, the greatest band of all time, but of course that's heavily debatable. However, they are without a doubt they are better than ANY band that has shot up in the past 10 years. I cannot believe how completely close-minded people my age are when it comes to music. Yeah, "Fergalicious" and "This Ain't A Scene...." are lyrically and musically brilliant....:crack: :rolleyes: We literally have some of the most untalented people to ever walk the face of the earth on the top of the charts right now. Kids of my generation are missing out on the classic...music that meant something....music that was people's pain and joy. Now we have music about smacking my bitch up, and doin' crack be da shitz:happy: :| Case in point: I was at Starbucks with a friend last month, and they were selling a CD sampler of The Doors. Lindsay turns to me and says, "The Doors...They're from the 80s right?" :scream: I said, "Yeah Linds, they really hit their stride after Jim Morrison died in 1971.":banghead: I feel bad for my friends..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and Younger People

U2Kitten said:

I don't want to sound rude, but RHCP are so much more young and vibrant looking and sounding than U2. My oh my Anthony is a hot babe and looks every bit as good as he did 15 years ago, maybe better. Their music and their videos and stage shows are so energetic and lively and they seem much more like a band teenagers can enjoy and relate to. I've never seen a teen have a problem with RHCP, some of them probably think they are a lot younger than they are.

But again, it doesn't matter who likes or doesn't like U2 if we do. And older bands are not always going to attract a young crowd, oh well.

Wow, this conversation is getting interesting. Wish I had more time to post at the moment!

Bonochick said:
I became a U2 fan when I was 13, and there weren't other kids in school who liked them. It's been 12 years since then, and I'm still remembered as "the U2 fan" by old classmates.

it sucks not having friends that know about U2,dosen`t it
cause I know...
:huh:

Back
Top Bottom