U2 and U.S fans.....Whats the deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boystupidboy

Refugee
I'm new around these parts so can anyone answer a question that has been bugging me for ages.What is the attraction with U2 for american fans?You have plenty of bands that you could get into and U.S music seems to dominate the world at the mo so what is it with U2?
Loads of bands/singers from the UK have had a go at cracking the U.S with no success but Bono and the boys have done 'quite'well-why?
Don't think i'm having a pop at our friends from across the pond i'm just interested:|
ATB-LEE-U2COVENTRYENGLANDUK

Maybe it has something to do with U2 being the greatest band in the world, and all other music in america totally sucking these days.

UK bands have done quite well over here. Take Coldplay or Radiohead, for example. But U2 seems to do well everywhere - the US, the other Americas, Asia, etc. I think U2 taps into something that's universal, that's shared by people everywhere. They represent a hope, an idealism that life can and will get better, and their music reflects this attitude. Anyone who's been at a U2 concert when 'Where the Streets Have No Name' starts up knows why U2 is so popular the world over. There's an energy in the room that's far bigger than the band itself. This energy spills over into the hearts and souls of the people in the arena. Many have called U2's concerts, 'religious experiences,' and its not much of an exaggeration. :)

Lancemc said:
Maybe it has something to do with U2 being the greatest band in the world, and all other music in america totally sucking these days.

Have you heard all their albums????:der:

Miggy D said:
UK bands have done quite well over here. Take Coldplay or Radiohead, for example. But U2 seems to do well everywhere - the US, the other Americas, Asia, etc. I think U2 taps into something that's universal, that's shared by people everywhere. They represent a hope, an idealism that life can and will get better, and their music reflects this attitude. Anyone who's been at a U2 concert when 'Where the Streets Have No Name' starts up knows why U2 is so popular the world over. There's an energy in the room that's far bigger than the band itself. This energy spills over into the hearts and souls of the people in the arena. Many have called U2's concerts, 'religious experiences,' and its not much of an exaggeration. :)

Personally, I don't think thats any exaggeration at all :)

The only decent bands making it in america these days are European anyway (Coldplay, Radiohead, Franz Ferdinand, etc.) The only American band (at least I think they are american:eyebrow: ) that has some real talent is Interpol.

Americans, contrary to popular opinion, also listen to a lot of music from the British Isles. You're just always going to get our most popular groups, just as we're only going to get the most popular of yours.

Now if only shoegazer music had been more popular in the U.S. back in the early 1990s...

Melon

oh wait, REM is still awsome too, forgot about the Athens boys. they've been around for so long though anyway, so they dont fall into the new music catagory either.

I've thought about that a lot actually. My taste seems to gravitate more to UK bands than local American bands. Generally, there's a distinct difference in the two approaches. American music (particularly in the 80s, 90s) had distinct solos more often than their British counterparts. The lyrics in American music are more direct and less flowery, while UK lyrics are more abstract.

Again, this is a general assessment and there are obviously exceptions. But I like the melodic nature of UK bands more than American ones. Currently, I'm really getting into The Killers (which I originally thought was a UK band).

Some American bands rated high in my list: Mazzy Star, The Killers, early REM, Evanescence, Cake, and 50 Cent.

boystupidboy said:
Jesus they were quick replies!Thanks everyone,i just did'nt think americans had such good taste:wink:

Why wouldn't us American's have good taste? U2 has been around for 25 years, they broke into the American Music industry many years ago. They were the rock band who survived the pop of the eighties and the grunge of the 90's. Bands are now trying to follow their lead.

no, let's face it, most americans DONT have good taste in music. Just take a look at our top 40 singles charts and that's that. I'm not saying there aren't millions of us throughout the country that do have good taste, it's just the country as a whole isn't a very good representation of the music industry.

Most Europeans don't either. I was there for a month, and they have the same kind of manufactured music that we do topping their charts. MOR/Top 40 music, by it's design, has always been disposable teeny bop crap, even back in the 1950s.

Melon

America Loves U2 and U2 Loves America

U2 seems to be one of the few bands (American bands included) that don't take every chance to bash on America and Americans.

Sure, we aren't perfect - I can't stand President Bush myself and I'm considered a "liberal" Democrat - but still, even I, am so tired of the hatred directed towards us. The US has done a lot of good for the world and still does more than other countries. America is still a land of hopes and dreams and second chances. We have our problems but we also have so much to be thankful for.

Anyway, U2 have always spoken well of this country - from the music, women, and are fascinated it seems even with "gawdy" side of the States (Vegas comes to mind).

Another thing people, U2's unabashed love for America and all things American (well maybe not "all things"). They have always focused a lot of attention over here, so it's no wonder that America has mad love for the boys.

And while U2 have gotten into some experimentation musically, they have never strayed so far off the beaten course that they completely lost their American audience. It's fair to say that U2's music is somewhat Americanally (word?) commercial. UF, AB, Zooropa, and Passengers were more European in flavor, but still appealed to the American Rock fans.

They walk a very fine line in Europe and America and have translated that into a huge success.

The music is good, and they're hot. What more could I ask for?:) (fan since 1983)

The chessy pop shit stays within their own country borders. The good shit gets noticed everywhere.

U2 have succeeded and survived in the U.S. over the years for many reasons (the music itself being an obvious important factor). However, I've always thought that U2 (specifically Paul McGuinness) brilliantly tapped into the untapped Irish-American youth market. There's a huge element here you know (first generation, like me, and beyond). Europeans don't understand this, but Americans are always looking back to their ethnic roots for a personal identity.

Beyond this, U2 tapped into a religious base. That is, a constant curiousity about religion, without ever directly hitting us over the head with it. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, to my mind anyway, is the most "religious" album U2 has done yet (save October). Have you forgotten the recent U.S. presidential election an the factor that "religion" may have played?

U2 actually worked hard to get in good in America. That means touring tons in America and not resting on their laurels like some UK bands do. You actually have to build your fanbase by touring everywhere and even in the crappiest places. I think Oasis fits the band who weren't willing to go for it tour aggressively or self-destructed on their tours to hurt any chances of growing their fanbase. Of course the music has to be good too.

Could it have something to do with the large Irish immigrant population in America?

I came from a state where it is estimated 40% of the "native" population has Irish or Scotch-Irish ancestry.

Anything Irish in America is always big. Look at the way we celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

I was lucky enough to grow up with parents who raised me on rock music. I always knew who U2 were and knew their songs and videos even when I was just a kid.
It's also very true that U2 has universal appeal. One of my friends went to Spain the summer after ATYCLB came out and she said everywhere she went, the people there were always singing, "It's a beautiful day, it's a beautiful day!" Haha :) Good music translates in all cultures!

boystupidboy said:
Jesus they were quick replies!Thanks everyone,i just did'nt think americans had such good taste:wink:
This day in age, all these American bands feel the need to make political albums, not that U2 hasn't done that before, but such albums are everywhere, and it's very refreshing that U2 didn't bother to make a Bush-bashing album. I think it's time people are tired of worshiping politics - not to contradict Adam Clayton's point that you shouldn't separate music and politics - but the time now says it's original not to include them so much.

Also, American music is often underproduced by choice, just to get the album over with and out on the shelves, whereas U2 makes quality records that are worth your time, no matter what time frame we live in. The fact that we've universally given U2 plenty of room for growth, I find their message more mature, more uplifting, and wiser than what many of the younger bands have to offer. Many of us are a little tired of the punk-pop phase, and not all of us are obsessed with Britney and Madonna either.

Me personally, I find U2 more real than any American band, whether it's spiritual, emotional, or just their ambition to raise Hell with every album and tour they've done. They will continue to keep it real, to grow, and to "provide more answers" than any other band, and still be on top when it comes to keeping it entertaining.

Attachments

• bono_cam9.jpg
    bono_cam9.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 17
melon said:
Most Europeans don't either. I was there for a month, and they have the same kind of manufactured music that we do topping their charts. MOR/Top 40 music, by it's design, has always been disposable teeny bop crap, even back in the 1950s.

Melon

I work with an Englishman who said as much about radio in Europe. He said there are a lot of prominant English bands that don't get very much in the way of radioplay in their own country - much like a lot of great indie bands here in the States - because all the stations play is dance music. It's what sells, all over the world.

Back
Top Bottom