U2 and U.S fans.....Whats the deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boystupidboy said:
Jesus they were quick replies!Thanks everyone,i just did'nt think americans had such good taste:wink:

I don't think it is fair to categorize that all Americans only like Uk
groups or most like Uk groups, It is all about taste!...I know many many many people who think U2 are shite!..That is only cause they like Rap R&B Classic Rock Heavy Metal ect...and that is OK!
everyone is entitled to like what they choose...I (American) LOVE that band for their music and like some people mentioned here
How Bono reached out with his lyrics...(Also I have thought Bono as sexy since the mid 80's)...
My 3 brothers could care less about U2, they all have diffrent tastes in music. They don't hate them just not what they really listen to.

I guess I can ask what is the fasination with UK and US stars..like Madonna, Britney, Justin, Beyonce, Usher ect...I've seen Brit award shows and how the Uk goes crazy for some of these stars!!
Same reason matter of taste!

:wink:

Knuckle said:
U2 have succeeded and survived in the U.S. over the years for many reasons (the music itself being an obvious important factor). However, I've always thought that U2 (specifically Paul McGuinness) brilliantly tapped into the untapped Irish-American youth market. There's a huge element here you know (first generation, like me, and beyond). Europeans don't understand this, but Americans are always looking back to their ethnic roots for a personal identity.

Thay maybe somewhat true, But I am Latin and I have loved U2 since the mid 80s...It is all about the music..I know typically Latin people might get pigeon holed as liking only a certain type of music but My brothers and I have always been into Rock Music..so it is just a matter of taste!

Most 'radio played' european music
is shite.I often buy music by other bands(darkness,coldplay etc)and some of the tracks are good but it comes back to the same old same old.I always compare them to U2 and it just ain't fair,nothing compares .:huh: I really must start going out more often
:wink:
ATB-LEE-U2COVENTRYENGLANDUK

also U2 are not a UK band they don't come from the UK they are from Dublin Ireland which is no part of the UK.. which is why they are probably still going strong and haven't got lost in the wave of rubbish in the UK charts.. by the way I am from the UK but I live in the North Of Ireand Dublin is in the South:)

melon said:
Most Europeans don't either. I was there for a month, and they have the same kind of manufactured music that we do topping their charts. MOR/Top 40 music, by it's design, has always been disposable teeny bop crap, even back in the 1950s.

Have you seen the Eurovision Song Contest? :yikes:

meegannie said:

Have you seen the Eurovision Song Contest? :yikes:

Hehe, fortunately the Eurovision Song Contest does not represent the taste of the majority of the europeans. In Denmark those songs get almost no airplay at all (except for the year where the Danish song actually won). Thank god for that. :bow:

That show is kind of a freak and in my country it will most likely cost anybody participating most of their credibility.

The Eurovision song contest is something unbelievable and I myself wouldn't call that a song contest...it's more of a freak show with the most awful music! You can watch it for a laugh, as long as you don't turn on the sound. :wink: I mean, can you name any of the songs that have won that contest? Can you name any of the bands and singers? Well, ABBA comes into mind, but otherwise :censored:

Thank God (most) European music is a lot better than what we have to hear in that contest!!!

boystupidboy said:
Americans -good taste-Mcdonalds!!!Only kidding:drool: :wink: :wink: I jealous really cos the US will get the majority of the gigs next year.oh the mighty dollar :wink:
ATB-LEE-U2COVENTRYENGLANDUK

Actually, the dollar is pretty damn weak right now....:wink: hehehehe I don't think that you can really generalize that certain countries have bad taste in music b/c in general, it's all very relative. However, I think that music isn't meant to be the throwaway-get-rich-quick kind of songs, because music is meant to move you, it's a form of art. (I'm getting into art philosophies here, so I'm going to stop that!)
Anyway, I think that the life, energy, and sheer joy within U2's music is what attracts people, whether they're from the United States, England, or Japan. Also, U2 has put more out for their fans more than other bands, I think, so it's kind of a mutual relationship.

carrieluvv said:
Hey Melon.....what is shoe gazer music?

A late 80s but mostly early 90s British rock movement, most of which came from the now defunct label, Creation Records.

http://www.creation-records.com/

Some of it is really loud. A lot of the guitars are swirly. Some of it fuses ambient with rock. If you're looking for something signature from this era, look for "Slowdive," "Ride," "Jesus and Mary Chain," and "My Bloody Valentine." Make sure that the album date is early 1990s (like 1990, 1991, 1992, or maybe even 1993 and 1994), because a lot of these groups went into very bland alternative rock once Oasis (another "Creation" band) became popular.

It never took off in the U.S., as grunge stole all its thunder and their American labels were highly disorganized. But, these days, a lot of people think that "post rock" (i.e., Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Mono [Japan]) is an extension of the shoegazer movement.

Melon

i think its the fact that theyre Irish and a lot of americans have irish parents or a lesser extent, some irish in them....at least thats partly how i got into them....in my neighborhood all the irish american kids were raving about this band thats from the country our parents were from...:)

Yeah, man...White Stripes are fine

I got bashed earlier for this, but I think WILCO is a great band (they are from Chicago)

Anyhow, I do think Europe is clearly dominating the music scene with U2, Coldplay, Radiohead, (remember the Beatles), etc.

the fact is, while there were plenty of good bands to coem out of the USA these past 40 some years, the majority of the good stuff has come from overseas. Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, ROlling Stones, Radiohead, coldplay, U2, The Who, Pink FLoyd, and the list goes on and on.

Back
Top Bottom