U2 and their follow up albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
Seems to me that U2 always follow up their great albums with something that totally throws you off.

Boy vs October.
October probably would of been great, or even better than Boy had the lyrics not been stolen from Bono. So we will go easy on the album. The album really wasn't that bad of a follow up, there was still intensity in the songs and a bit of experimentation.

War+UABRSL vs Unforgettable Fire.
I guess you can't really call UF a follow up album to WAR. Besides, they did give us the great live EP after WAR. Unforgettable Fire is looked at as a new starting point for the band, most fans I notice are 50/50 with this one. But really, you probably weren't expecting anything like this album after WAR.

The Joshua Tree vs Rattle and Hum.
Yeah it was just the guys documenting themselves during the first peak of their career. They embraced roots rock blah blah. Not everyone was a fan of the live performances that made it to the album. Though the 9 new songs on Rattle and Hum were classics, you kind of probably thought "what the hell were they thinking?" at the time. I mean after all the seriousness of The Joshua Tree and the millions it sold, I don't think anyone could of imagined a full length motion picture and soundtrack would follow.

Achtung Baby vs Zooroopa.
Wow Achtung Baby, it let us all know that U2 didn't go away, it reshaped their careers, and let us know that they had a sense of humor. It spawned an awesome tour sold millions and gave us instant classics like Mysterious Ways, and One. Then they went and got super euro techno experimental on us and gave us Zooroopa. We all knew U2 had changed and were branching out with their sound. I bet no one expected Zooroopa. It took me about 7 years to warm up to this album.

Lets just skip Passengers and Pop.

All That You Can't Leave Behind vs ??????..
Hrmm so okay. After POP U2 kind of layed low and got back to their own roots. They gave us a stripped down rock and roll album, a modest tour, and they enjoyed renewed success because of all this. Interest in U2 might of reached Joshua Tree levels this year.. So you kind of have to wonder now..

What will the follow up/next U2 album sound like? Will they once again fool us all?

They give us classic albums then just throw us for a loop following them up, maybe we should expect the unexpected.

Yeah.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
Lets just skip Passengers and Pop.

eek.gif

I heard they were going to start a country band called the Daltons.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

I'd bet on what the rumor mill has been spreading - something with a punk influence.

My reasons are as follows:

1) We've heard rumors that Bono has said its going to be a real punk sounding album with hard rocking tunes.
2) Elevation was a pretty hard rocking track. Along those same lines, we also heard Big Girls Are Best - a throwaway, but another rocker.
3) We heard that ATYCLB was supposed to be pure rock and roll, but it really wasn't. We also heard that there were a lot of tracks that didn't make that album. Putting two and two together, I'd say there are a lot of leftover rock tracks that are waiting for their chance.
4) Their follow up albums always seem to take what they've done and go one step further. I just ahve this feeling that one step further than ATYCLB moves away from anthem, soul rock into a faster, harder (and yet still uplifting and positive) rock sound.

So what we're bound to get is Boy II or Boy 2002. Seriously though, I doubt it will sound like Boy, but my point is that Boy was the most "punk" of any U2 record to date, and that U2's style of punk has been and will be very original. Bottom line: I wouldn't expect it will sound like Green Day or The Ramones or Blink 182.

Of course, my opinion means very little as it's anybody's guess. We never know what U2 will throw at us next, but I'm sure it will be great. My gut instinct tells me this next album will be a hard rocking one, though.

Hey, you asked......

Hey Zoocoustic.. good analysis, that would be really cool to hear! Sort of the Holy Joe (Garage mix) sound or something along those lines.. that's how I sorta picture it anyway.

i've thought of this. but i try not to be concerned. i have faith in them.

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

gawd I hope not. (Ramones notwitstanding)

Originally posted by Zoocoustic:
Bottom line: I wouldn't expect it will sound like Green Day or The Ramones or Blink 182.

I'm sure whatever they put out will have that special "U2ey" sound that will distinguish them from anyone and everyone else...

I think it will be more like the U2 songs on the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
I think it will be more like the U2 songs on the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack

Interesting Salome... Could be. You know, it's been a long time since U2 came out with a real heavy ballad, ala WOWY and One.

If I were to speculate I would have to probably agree with what Zoocoustic said. But we'll all have to wait and see.

Originally posted by Salome:

That's what I was hoping ATYCLB would become. I really like that sort of dark, moody sound, and I wouldn't put it past the band on their next effort. Remember that Silver And Gold, which heavily influenced R&H, first appeared on the Sun City soundtrack in 1985. So the band's influences can stay with them for future albums.

I don't think that with the current state of world affairs, they would really release another wide open, ultra-optimistic album. There could be more of a Peace On Earth meets Elevation type of feel here. I think that where ATYCLB seemed to be more of an "outer feeling" album, the next one could be very personal, maybe AB, but more mature sounding, with a Boy edge to it.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Edge said that the next album would be a guitar album. When i hear him saying this, i think of a sound something similar to "the fly". I feel that this is Edge's best solo, because when he is playing it, he is taking over the song. Its like Bono has step aside and let Edge take over for a bit.

Yet they always through us for a loop. They could still be in the "stripping down" state. Maybe Edge will abandon all his gear, except for his distortion, and this will be an old skool punk album.

Back
Top Bottom