U2 and the UK Music Hall of Fame Forum... the moaning begins!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what an awful thread, bunch of haters. But I find it hilarious since its basically one guy posting all the time having a conversation with himself.

RademR said:
what an awful thread, bunch of haters. But I find it hilarious since its basically one guy posting all the time having a conversation with himself.

Yeah what a sad Bast#rd, he even thinks The Pet Shop Boys deserve entry more than U2 hehehehee what a fuc#ing wan#er!!!!!!!

Seems to have an anti-Irish thread running through it as well "stadium bog trotters", "meat and potatoes" etc.

Originally posted by
Radiohead should have been the founding member for the '90s...

Absolutely. I was thinking exactly the same thing. The rest of the 90s acts didn't even come close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhhh instead of U2? I'm not so sure about that even though Radiohead are a great band I still don't think that there albums in the 90's are better than U2's. OK Computer is an absolute classic but not as good as Achtung Baby and The Bends is great but not as good as Pop, maybe Kid A is better than Zooropa but U2 have 2 out of the 3 better albums. Also taking into consideration their HUGE contribution to music in the 80's, I don't see how you can claim Radiohead more deserved of the place than U2.:wink:

beau2ifulday said:

Absolutely. I was thinking exactly the same thing. The rest of the 90s acts didn't even come close.

ummm, Oasis....revolutionized music in England during the 90s....

U2One said:

ummm, Oasis....revolutionized music in England during the 90s....

Indeed, but Oasis were just part of a bigger picture of britpop bands of the time, with themselves and Blur being at the top of a long list. Radiohead always did their own thing, and I have always respected them for that. Plus, Oasis's popularity has dwindled a little since 'Standing On The Shoulders of Giants', whereas Radiohead are arguably currently churning out some of their best work to date (ok, we'll forget about that little incident called 'Kid A').

rjhbonovox said:
Ohhhhh instead of U2? I'm not so sure about that even though Radiohead are a great band I still don't think that there albums in the 90's are better than U2's. OK Computer is an absolute classic but not as good as Achtung Baby and The Bends is great but not as good as Pop, maybe Kid A is better than Zooropa but U2 have 2 out of the 3 better albums. Also taking into consideration their HUGE contribution to music in the 80's, I don't see how you can claim Radiohead more deserved of the place than U2.:wink:

Oh no - not at all. I'm talking about this in terms of the ten acts that were nominated for entry from the 90s in addition to U2, not instead of U2 :)

Ahhhhh excellent then I would totally agree with you, Radiohead were easily the best of the rest during the 90's. Who said something about kid A, it was a great album, a bit hard at first but its definetly a grower and far better than Amnesiac.

rjhbonovox said:
Ohhhhh instead of U2?

Yes, instead of U2.

I read your post and accept that 'Achtung Baby' and 'Zooropa' are two of U2's best albums, but I think Radiohead are THE band of the 1990's. 'OK Computer' 'The Bends' and 'Kid A' are masterpieces!

And while 'Achtung Baby' was one of the BEST albums of the 1990's (possibly a very close 2nd best) there is no point comparing 'The Bends' to 'Pop' as 'The Bends' wins hands down!

It is undeniable that at the very least 'Pop' is half baked, often sounds quite hollow, [I'm aware of why] and you have to hear live versions of many of the tracks to hear them how you would LIKE to...whereas [if I can be like so many others and try to pass myself off as some sort of music critic by saying something like] 'The Bends' just 'TAKES you places' and the guitar work and vocals are as stratospheric as U2's 'The Unforgettable Fire' and stays that way throughout the record! It's a work of art! I love it.

And it doesn't stop at the ALBUMS! During the sessions for 'The Bends' they recorded so many amazing songs, the 'My Iron Lung' EP (Australian only, i THINK, though widely available on Import) leaves you feeling really disappointed that tracks like 'Permanent Daylight', 'Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong' and 'Lozenge of Love' (three of their BEST!) never made the final record! See also, 'Killer Cars'. Amazing.

'OK Computer' just stands alone as one of the greatest albums of all TIME, never mind the '90s! It's just as atmospheric as 'The Bends' and just builds on it!! And with 'Paranoid Android' on their, I really don't think anyone can complain! See also, 'Polyethelene Pts. 1+2', 'Pearly*', and 'Meeting in the Aisle'.

To sum this up, my opinion is that Radiohead deserve status as founding member of the 1990's more than U2, as their contribution to that particular decade is far greater in my opinion that U2's, whereas U2 should really be the founding member of the 1980's (plus, going back to another thing someone said, there's really no point saying they made a huge contribution to music in the 1980's to try and justify them being a founding member of the 1990's) as the music they made THEN, compared to the MAIN mainstream...really is groundbreaking! Just listen to 'Boy', 'The Unforgettable Fire', and 'The Joshua Tree' (for the millionth time, I'm sure :wink: ) and it just blows everything else from that time to smithereens! I mean, what the HELL is Madonna doing as the founding member of the 1980's?

In short conclusion, in my opinion Radiohead's contribution to music in the 1990's was far greater, and far more influential than U2's...! Plus, as it's a UK music hall of fame, surely it wouldn't be TOO much to ask for British acts to be the 'founding' members...!

Last edited:
the beatles are the only british act to be founder members anyway

I have to disagree about your comparison of the 90's but I will agree that Radiohead deserve to be in the hall of fame for their great albums of the 90's. I hope they get voted in but I have doubts that the public voting will not be in there favour. It REALLY pains me to say this but I have an AWFUL suspicion that the public in this country will vote for Robbie Williams, yeah I know just think of that, ROBBIE FAT DANCER WILLIAMS in the music hall of fame! I know un fuc#ing believable as it sounds he has an enourmous following in this country and I just have a feeling he win the public vote.

U2 should be in for the 80's as well of course but I think that the music critics had to have a woman in there somewhere, so thats where Madonna comes in. I still think though that U2's albums from the 90's are better than Radiohead's, I just love their 90's music and people saying(U2 as well) POP is unfinished are just not appreciating what a fine album it is!

it would make matters alot easier and clearly state the appropriate artist with the approriate decade and thier reasons

Originally posted by

Yes, instead of U2.

I read your post and accept that 'Achtung Baby' and 'Zooropa' are two of U2's best albums, but I think Radiohead are THE band of the 1990's. 'OK Computer' 'The Bends' and 'Kid A' are masterpieces!

And while 'Achtung Baby' was one of the BEST albums of the 1990's (possibly a very close 2nd best) there is no point comparing 'The Bends' to 'Pop' as 'The Bends' wins hands down!

It is undeniable that at the very least 'Pop' is half baked, often sounds quite hollow, [I'm aware of why] and you have to hear live versions of many of the tracks to hear them how you would LIKE to...whereas [if I can be like so many others and try to pass myself off as some sort of music critic by saying something like] 'The Bends' just 'TAKES you places' and the guitar work and vocals are as stratospheric as U2's 'The Unforgettable Fire' and stays that way throughout the record! It's a work of art! I love it.

And it doesn't stop at the ALBUMS! During the sessions for 'The Bends' they recorded so many amazing songs, the 'My Iron Lung' EP (Australian only, i THINK, though widely available on Import) leaves you feeling really disappointed that tracks like 'Permanent Daylight', 'Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong' and 'Lozenge of Love' (three of their BEST!) never made the final record! See also, 'Killer Cars'. Amazing.

'OK Computer' just stands alone as one of the greatest albums of all TIME, never mind the '90s! It's just as atmospheric as 'The Bends' and just builds on it!! And with 'Paranoid Android' on their, I really don't think anyone can complain! See also, 'Polyethelene Pts. 1+2', 'Pearly*', and 'Meeting in the Aisle'.

To sum this up, my opinion is that Radiohead deserve status as founding member of the 1990's more than U2, as their contribution to that particular decade is far greater in my opinion that U2's, whereas U2 should really be the founding member of the 1980's (plus, going back to another thing someone said, there's really no point saying they made a huge contribution to music in the 1980's to try and justify them being a founding member of the 1990's) as the music they made THEN, compared to the MAIN mainstream...really is groundbreaking! Just listen to 'Boy', 'The Unforgettable Fire', and 'The Joshua Tree' (for the millionth time, I'm sure :wink: ) and it just blows everything else from that time to smithereens! I mean, what the HELL is Madonna doing as the founding member of the 1980's?

In short conclusion, in my opinion Radiohead's contribution to music in the 1990's was far greater, and far more influential than U2's...! Plus, as it's a UK music hall of fame, surely it wouldn't be TOO much to ask for British acts to be the 'founding' members...!

I have tried and tried and tried again to like Radiohead.

And I have found their music to be uttlerly crap. I find it uninsipring, boring and totally self-absorbed.

Yet, so many U2 fans adore Radiohead.

Odd as it sounds, even though I don't like them, I have quite a few of their CD's.

Therefore, can some recommend some of their BEST songs (from all of their CD's) for me? Perhaps if I hear "the best of the best" I might finally be turned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd vote for Oasis...they made two of the best albums ever in the '90s..Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory..infinitely more worthy than Radiohead.

Sleep Over Jack said:
I'd vote for Oasis...they made two of the best albums ever in the '90s..Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory..infinitely more worthy than Radiohead.

amen brother...

doctorwho said:

I have tried and tried and tried again to like Radiohead.

And I have found their music to be uttlerly crap. I find it uninsipring, boring and totally self-absorbed.

Yet, so many U2 fans adore Radiohead.

Odd as it sounds, even though I don't like them, I have quite a few of their CD's.

Therefore, can some recommend some of their BEST songs (from all of their CD's) for me? Perhaps if I hear "the best of the best" I might finally be turned.

Its a funny thing, drwho, I know people that absolutely hate Radiohead. A lot of people Ive talked to think their so over-rated, people actually get mad they are referred to as geniuses. One of my friends hates Thom Yorke and calls his voice the "most annoying ever."

I, on the other hand, love this band. However, you might get turned because it took me awhile to get into them, and I mean awhile. Especially "KID A", a brilliant record but it took over a year of listening to it to start liking it. I still haven't gotten into "Amnesiac" yet. They have a lot of great hits so it's hard to recommend certain ones, but my two favorites are "Paranoid Android" and "Idiotheque"

Radiohead? Come on. It's a funny thing. U2's Achtung Baby is easily the best album of the 90's. Alot of hype surround albums like Nirvana's Nervermind and Radioheads several big albums but if you go track by track against any album of just about any era you won't top Achtung Baby. Stuff Oasis and Radiohead I'm going with The Spice Girls.:lol:

doctorwho said:
Can some recommend some of their BEST songs (from all of their CD's) for me? Perhaps if I hear "the best of the best" I might finally be turned.

Gimme a few minutes, I'll try and get a list down! :)

Sleep Over Jack said:
I know Oasis was huge in the Uk, but honestly I can't get into them. It's catchy, but it's not timeless like AB. Achtung Baby defines a decade. Oasis was a flash in the pan IMHO, a big one, but yet stil a flash in the pan.

rjhbonovox said:

Wouldn't it just be easier to compare the albums that were out at the same time rather than comparing the albums with equal commercial success?

1991- Achtung Baby(U2) (On it's own- one of the best albums of the 1990's/all time- but let's put it among the 1993 albums)
1993- Pablo Honey (Radiohead) and Zooropa (U2)- Zooropa wins.

1995- The Bends (Radiohead) and Original Soundtracks 1 (U2/Passengers) The Bends wins.

1997- OK Computer (Radiohead) and Pop (U2)- OK Computer wins hands down.

2000- Kid A (Radiohead) and All that You Can't Leave Behind (U2)...still not decided personally, but at the moment I'm listening to Kid A quite a bit...still a great record!

Back
Top Bottom