U2 and the age thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know they're older and I'd rather see them doing what's in them now, because of their lives and all they've gained along the way, than to try to force something that's not really there. I don't mind that they are all over 40 and singing about their kids, and getting older. Music can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. If I like it, I like it. It doesn't even matter what the writer had in mind and if it's totally different from my idea. Yes, we can all make it our own!

I was reading a 2000 interview from Revolver Magazine last night. Here's a direct quote from Bono:

"What else are you going to do in your late 30's? You're not going to be harder. It's hard to be funkier. You just better have some tunes, and something to say. You stop thinking about who's hip"

I like that U2's music is about what is a reflection of what is going on in their lives. That is why it's so honest. I wouldn't want them to be what they're not.
I can appreciate and "feel" songs even if they're about something I've never had to deal with, or written by ppl at a different stage of life than I am. "bad" is one of my fav songs right now, even though i've never been addicted to drugs. And i like "kite" even though i'm not at the point of my life where i have kids yet.

I do hope U2's next album will be more hard-rocking, though. I don't think that is inconsistent with their being in their 40's. But even if it's not quite hard-rocking - like ATYCLB - i'll still buy it and like it if it's honest. That's more important to me than if they put out a really rocking album just to try to prove that they are still relevant.

The_acrobat said:
Adam- 43
Bono- 42
Larry- 41
Edge- 41

Yeah, they're SO OLD!!!

Mick- 59
Keith- 59
Charlie- 63
Ronnie- 56
Bill Wyman (If he were still in the band)- 66
Stones are still doing fine.

Paul McCartney - 61 & still selling out shows

Ringo- 60 and planning a big tour this year.

Springsteen- 50+ and on top of the world right now.

Aerosmith- All members average age is about 55. Still doing alright.

Tom Petty- Not a hit on the radio anymore, but still packs the shows.

My point is...U2 is getting older, and so are there main fan base. I mean, younger fans are always welcomed...a fan is a fan. But for people to complain about U2 being an old person band is rediculous. Their fans are getting older, yes. And for you people to be upset at these people for thinking that, they are right. As they get older, they're gonna cater to an older crowd. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure they'd rather play to adults who understand them, rather than high school kids who only know the new songs.

This is true. They are older, and they are going to speak to their main fanbase, probably age 30-45. That's fine. We older people need someone to speak to us too! U2 are the only band for their generation who are really famous and meaningful, what's wrong with that?

It's true older doesn't necessarily mean slower. Lots of older guys still rock hard, and some young ones, like Matchbox 20 and John Mayer, are very mellow. It's all a matter of what is moving you at that time, and that is what I want from the band. Anything else would not be genuine.

martha said:
I'm as old as the band is, and I'd like to see them rock harder next time. I'm a little sick of these teeny boppers thinking that over forty=smooth, boring music.

DITTO!!!! I for one would love to see them trash the place musically if you know what I mean.

JOFO said:
if you think u2 is old, check out some good ol' j.s. bach.
that cat is over 200.:faint:

LOL yup!!

don't forget beethoven, and mozart ;)

BTW...

Charlotte Church is only in her teens, and her fan base are older people, age 45+.

Aerosmith, have always appealed to teenagers...it's rock music.

I agree with Martha--I want to see U2 rocking more hard in the next album. I'll be very disappointed if they turn out like Sting, and write mellow stuff. It would be such a shame.

Before you get on my back about this, the band listens primarily to hard rock. You should check out what they listen to at the zooradio website.

Last edited:
Practically all of my favourite bands are much older than I am, so to me the age is no problem. I'm 22, but I actually feel more connection to ATYCLB than any other U2 album, despite the fact that it's a very much an album made by the over-fourties.

Who cares how old they are? Does it really matter? I figure that as long as I get what the music is, I don't care how old they are, that they are guys, that they are from Europe, etc...... I mean we can get picky about anything and everything but the point is WHY? U2 music speaks for itself and that's what I like about this band!!!:yes:

I remember watching the Boston DVD with my dad once and he was asking what appeal a group of 40 year old rock stars had to a 22 year old. I guess its just Bono and Edge's personas and the incredible music the band has created and continues to create.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom