U2 and T.Rex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flameandthefire

The Fly
Hi,

Some non-U2 fan insisted to me today that U2's "Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me" song is a plagiat of some song made by T.Rex.

Anyone know anything about it? I don't know any T.Rex songs, so I can't comment, but this can't be true! I really can not believe such rubbish.

Any thoughts?

Similair style not a rip off, tis a homage to glam rock of the seventies, it's more Bowie if you ask me

"Children of the Revolution." They have similar chord patterns. But so does just about every T.Rex song (I am the biggest T.Rex fan on this board.)

During the Popmart performances of HMTMKMKM Marc Bolan (Mr T.Rex himself) was displayed along with other great dead rock stars. U2 were inspired by T.Rex on that tune, it's obvious.

If your friend gives you shit about U2 ripping off T.Rex, give it right back to him about T.Rex ripping off Chuck Berry. He did. And who cares?

Last edited:
It sounds like Buick Mackane too. (T.Rex) I did read somewhere about Bono having someone else’s T.Rex 7" singles under his bed. Stands to reason though, that they were influenced by them. T.Rex were huge when U2 were in their teens. 'Electric Warrior' was one of the first LP's I ever bought.

MrBrau1 said:
If your friend gives you shit about U2 ripping off T.Rex, give it right back to him about T.Rex ripping off Chuck Berry. He did. And who cares?

People ripped off Chuck Berry?

yes its the ChildrenOfTheRevolution style. U2 were influenced by T.Rex. all members of their old Dublin hood are fans of T.Rex. especially Gavin Friday the best friend of Mr. Bono is a great admirer of Marc Bolan (and T.Rex). He has done a nice cover of the T.Rex title track "The SLIDER" on his album "Shag Tobacco"
T.Rex where influenced by Chuck Berry (especially on the song Get It On) & Elvis (The Sun Sessions). Just listen to the album "Electric Warrior" (released in 1971). this record is a true masterpiece (incl. Jeepster, Get It On, Monolith, Mambo Sun) and sounds fresh in these days as it ever has.

jacobus said:

T.Rex where influenced by Chuck Berry (especially on the song Get It On) & Elvis (The Sun Sessions)

If you want to see a stolen riff, try listening to Oasis' Cigarettes and Alchol - and compare it to Get it on.

^
Yep and of course Shaker Makers melody et al is lifted straight from "I'd like to buy the world a coke"

p.s. a lyric is Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me is "Oh Lordy you've been stealing
From the theives and you got caught "

They knew what they were doing fine well yet in the lyrics Bono points out that it was infact stolen in the first place
:wink:

U2 even ended one performance of HMTMKMKM by snippeting Children Of The Revolution. 31 July 1997. Stunning performance too; my favourite live HMTMKMKM.

yep Axver, they did it a few times during POPmart (cologne, nuernberg, mannheim & hannover). on the BOMB i feel the T.Rex vibe on LAPOE

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom