U2 and stadiums...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I think it's simply amazing that 4 men play music to over 60,000 people. I wonder what the band feels when they play stadiums?

Has anyone ever been pulled up on stage, or know anyone who was pulled up on stage, at a stadium show? Any thoughts on what the feel is?

It makes me wonder, what a full stadium is like, compared to a full arena. If arenas are dull at times, do stadiums ever get dull?

Feel free to add pics, and experiences! I'm looking for really good pics of U2 in stadiums.

I didn't take photos or anything... Everything is in my memory. First the full stadium waiting for them... And the overwhelmed 1, 2, 3 14!!!!! And all the following moments. It's amazing to see so many people singing in one voice... like one;) I guess I haven't found the words yet...

It's to big but that's part of the magic... When you see 60.000 people completelly absorved by the music, singing, yelling, even crying, with the eyes and ears in the exact same thing you know what a big rock band like U2 is all about...
This is just my opinion though... I've never been in an arena.

I dont know if it'd be too much work for the crew to have to have to switch between two stages, but if they decide to do a tour leg thing like they are doing now, they could have done #1 in arenas and #3 in stadiums.... right?

DontExpect said:
I dont know if it'd be too much work for the crew to have to have to switch between two stages, but if they decide to do a tour leg thing like they are doing now, they could have done #1 in arenas and #3 in stadiums.... right?

It's what they did on ZooTV (and largely on Joshua Tree). No reason it can't happen next time out.

one4u2 said:
Stadiums :down: IMO too big! I prefer the intimacy of arenas

agreed.. while I've only see 3 U2 shows.. all in arena's..
I am also a Springsteen fan.. Bruce I've seen over 20 times..
in both stadiums and arena's... something is lost in a stadium show...just too open, too big.. and of course the sound is never as good.. just my humble opinion...

and for all you U2 fanatics...when do you think they will tour again? I saw one Elevation show and 2 Vertigo shows and all I want is more...........

stadiums are just as intimate as stadiums if you've got good seats...

if you're in the first 10 rows in front of the stage on the field, what difference does it make how many people are behind you? it's not like playing in arenas is like a small intimate club or anything... they still fit 20,000 people.

cjboog said:
You gotta love the enormous crowd energy you can get with stadiums though

I would say it depends on the stadium...old Foxboro and Zoo TV was pure magic...old RFK (am I dating myself or what?) was awful...crowd sucked....same tour two WAY different concerts

I know we often dwell on how it feels for us as fans to either be in an arena or a stadium. But I have always wondered what it must be like for the band. If I were in U2's position - or any big band's position, for that matter - I don't know if I'd be comfortable knowing that there would be people out there in the stadium who were paying a hell of a lot of money for their tickets, yet weren't feeling any sort of connection with the show I was putting on. Because it's bound to happen. There's no way someone sitting right at the back of the stadium is going to feel the same as someone jumping around in the front row. I'd hate knowing that, if that was me up there.

So yes, I've wondered if the band does sometimes feel that way about stadiums. Thankfully, the visual appearance of U2's stadium performances usually have something there to satisfy the fans who aren't up close, but even still...

I think I recall reading somewhere that U2 preferred to do arenas for intimacy with the fans, and to probably try to avoid what I've mentioned above. I really can't remember though, and can't be bothered to hunt through the articles.

I guess it depends on the crowd, like any show. The fans on my Popmart Sau Paulo DVD are just freakin' crazy. I mean nuts.

Back
Top Bottom