U2 & Macca to hit Live 8 Stage in Sgt Peppers Costumes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I always thought the costumes in the ZooTV video looked like the Sergeant Pepper costumes anyway!

2Hearts said:
Has anyone considered the idea that U2 might 'pass the torch' on to Coldplay on Sat? Bono was hanging out with them earlier this week. U2 could give their mantle to Coldplay as the Beatles mantle is being given to U2. Sort of like turning in the earthly crown for a heavenly one.

Maybe, but with the whole Police/U2 hand-off in the 80's you have to remember that the Police were breaking up at the time. I'm not convinced U2 will ever repeat the gesture, but we shall see...

I'm spending way to much time on this thread :huh:

Lemonfix said:

Those costumes weren't made popular by the Beatles. The costumes themselves are not what I fear. It's the fact that U2 will be dressed up in iconic Beatles attire. I can just hear people complain "look at U2 with their giant egos! they think they are on par with the Beatles! They think they are the Beatles of today!" Having Paul on stage will help but I'm still nervous they could get raked over the coals.

thats what i am afraid of. i fear they will be criticized beyond belief. but you know what "F@#k 'um" as bono would say. i think they will look mighty cute. all i can say is 'poor Larry'. :lol:

maybe it would be better for everyone if this just didnt happen. i mean i want to see it but..... the backlash, THE BACKLASH!!!!

i mean look at how they tore apart rattle and hum. this is ten times worse. i can't wait to see what happens actually. but my first thought when i heard this was: "there is no way they would do that!!!!!!!" we will see.

zooperson said:
aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! im scared. i don't think this is going to go over well. :reject:

I think it'll be fun, and the backlash you're afraid of, won't happen.

Now if they play the song shitty:mad:

To tell you the truth, I can't honestly believe that they will dress up in the Sgt Peppers gear. Is this story coming from anywhere credible?

If U2 play with Paul McCartney, and play a Beatles track, that's fucking great, and it's the sort of thing that grabs an extra headline for the festival. Beatles AND U2. Can't lose.

But if U2 actually dress up as the Beatles..... I can see it now....

WildHoneyAlways said:

I shudder at the thought. :yikes:

It's been done before, with great results.

B00009APB6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Coldplay is definitely doing Bittersweet Symphony, I heard that too

The whole torch-passing thing probably won't happen, though everyone says Coldplay is the next U2, which might be true in terms of popularity, but not musically. Same with U2 with the Beatles, cuz despite just 10 years of music, the Beatles put out consistently AWESOME records. U2 does too, but the only albums U2 has that music critics would love enough to place in Top 100 or w/e lists would be the JT and AB. Critics usually put 3 or 4 Beatle albums in the top 10 (Sgt Pepper, Revolver, White Album).
My point is...I've lost my train of thought .:huh:

But idk, I wonder how Macca is thinking about all this. I thought he didn't like Bono?

I think it'll be cool, and yeah, I think there's a lot of worry for nothing.

Didn't this all come about because Paul McCartney threw a big hissy, insisting he open up the concert (possibly as "payback" for when he had to perform "Let It Be" with a faulty mike back in '85 at Live Aid)?

I had read that earlier this week, and then the article went on to say that U2 would briefly share the stage with Sir Paul, playing "Sgt. Pepper." Can't remember if it talked about the outfits or not.

Hey, I think it'll be pretty cool.

As far as U2 "passing the torch" to Coldplay? Dude, this board needs a spit-take smiley. STAT.

:wink:

corianderstem said:

As far as U2 "passing the torch" to Coldplay? Dude, this board needs a spit-take smiley. STAT.

:wink:

post of the week right there.

MrBrau1 said:
This is gonna be great! I wanna hear Edge play that intro riff!

......they had BETTER be WELL rehearsed for this shit.

I mean really; it's like playing the holy bible for christ's sake.

(no pun intended)

aLL THE beatles comparison is silly,those scouser's got looky,i have to admit they really were a good band,but smiths were the best.As bono would say goodnight Vienna

Got this from this website (http://www.nbc10.com/live8), this is apparently the schedule that was released earlier......so apparently U2 get's 10 minutes only? I'm going to be really really pissed off if Coldplay (who I'm also a huge fan of) steals the show with Bittersweet Symphony w/Richard Ashcroft (www.nme.com). I also pray that they don't wear the outfits.

12:00-6:00pm ET - Philadelphia's Benjamin Franklin Parkway

Philadelphia Rundown

12:04 -- Paul McCartney & U2 Live from London
12:14 -- Black Eyed Peas
12:33 -- Bon Jovi
12:54 -- Madonna Live from London
1:00 -- Destiny's Child
1:16 -- Kanye West
1:30 -- Will Smith
1:50 -- Coldplay Live from London
1:56 -- Toby Keith
2:13 -- Dave Matthews Band
2:40 -- Alicia Keys
2:52 -- Def Leppard
3:10 -- Linkin Park and Jay-Z
3:50 -- Tim McGraw Live from Rome
3:56 -- Sarah McLachlan
4:11 -- Maroon 5
4:28 -- Green Day Live from Berlin
4:34 -- Keith Urban
4:48 -- Jars of Clay
4:56 -- Pink Floyd Live from London
5:00 -- Rob Thomas
5:21 -- Stevie Wonder

-Xavier

According to that schedule, Coldplay's got six minutes, so I don't think you need to worry about them "stealing the show". Actually, that whole schedule makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom