U2 and live albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_NP

New Yorker
People there must be some threads about this here already , but here goes another , the thing is you've probably noticed that u2 is one of the few if not only band in the world that doesn't release a lot of live cds , hell not only a few , so I would like to know if there's any interview of them about this , or any history about not doing it.

Also another what's deal with live albums , what's with the 8 number of songs ? The only official live album of them only had 8 songs , now with the Vertigo tour they did " kind of release " another , which is the U2 Com.... which again features 8 songs , and we also have the closest thing to a 100% live album , which is the popheart EP/please single , which features 4 live songs , which is the half of 8 , math aside , what's the thing with all this ?

I think they know that there are bootlegs around for each tour, also in a time of DVDs it isn't likely they will release live CDs.

What U2girl said. :yes:

Also, if you want a certain bootleg, I'd request it in the Music on the Internet thread. Also, U2Torrents is a great site for them. :up:

Yeah sure , but why not do like other bands release a show live in cd and dvd , I'm sure a lot of fans like me would love to hear a full live cd like when traveling , I mean I got nothing against bootlegs , and there are some really amazing , but I'd rather listen of course something official , not only coz of the quality , but the whole thing .

I mean the only choice we got are the boots , who wouldn't want a real live cd for a change ?

I would like a live release actually, but probably the band isn't attracted of it. Like U2 girl said, there are so many bootlegs around that maybe it would neither sell. Anyway, I give myself satisfacted with the lot of live dvd's, under this point of view there's no lack. But I have just to learn how to rip these damn dvs's to make it an audio cd!!:mad:

Perhaps a u2 live 80-06 would be a good choice , wouldn't ?

Don't forget Hasta La Vista Baby! is a 14 song live album released for fanclub members. So that makes 2 exclusive fanclub-only live albums in 6-7 years. Also, if you look at the cd singles released from 2000 to now, it is quite obvious that the live tracks make their way out their for the dedicated fans.

Discotheque (previously released), If You Wear that Velvet Dress, Last Night on Earth, Beautiful Day, New York, All I Want is You, Even Better than the Real Thing, I Remember You, New York (different), I Will Follow, Stay, Streets, Gone, Bad/40/Streets (as one great track!), The Fly (Stellafield), Even Better... (Stellafield), Out of Control, Miss Sarajevo (which is later re-released), She's a Mystery to Me.

21 songs (or 17 if you don't count re-issued tracks)

This doesn't even take into account itunes (live releases like Under the Brooklyn Bridge) or promos (like the Best Buy cd or the Mexican Slane cd to name a few)

Yes, you have to hunt for some of these "officially" released songs. I am a collector of official live U2 releases. I don't collect everything by U2 (that costs way too much), but if there is a live release of any U2 song in any country I am all over it like a fly on shit. :wink:

I like the live DVDs, but there is a slight problem. I spend way more time listening to U2 than actually sitting down and watching them.

Mate this I gotta agree with you , everything about u2 live is amazing , which is the reason I'm after the singles of Please and Stay among others , but the thing is like my case , is not every country that get singles , and also some of them are only released in certain places , so a album would be much better , look for example Wide Awake in America , although it has only 4 songs , it's a EP which is sort of "commercially" seen as album , and coz of this , I think it's on sales in every country in the world .

And about Hasta and Communication , there are some probs , even though they are hardcore fans , it's not everyone who is attached to the official membership . I think it would be much better if they were put on sale , besides Hasta is incomplete , and Communication has only 5 songs , and from a released dvd , plus 3 from a soon-to-be-released DVD , so there you go.....

Talking about live shows , I think what could be a good choice is , u2 not necessarily release a tour cd , but like a full promo show , sure Brooklyn was released but only in Itunes , and I think only 4 songs . Why not release it full or another promo show like Irving Plaza .

Mate this I gotta agree with you , everything about u2 live is amazing , which is the reason I'm after the singles of Please and Stay among others , but the thing is like my case , is not every country that get singles , and also some of them are only released in certain places , so a album would be much better , look for example Wide Awake in America , although it has only 4 songs , it's a EP which is sort of "commercially" seen as album , and coz of this , I think it's on sales in every country in the world .

And about Hasta and Communication , there are some probs , even though they are hardcore fans , it's not everyone who is attached to the official membership . I think it would be much better if they were put on sale , besides Hasta is incomplete , and Communication has only 5 songs , and from a released dvd , plus 3 from a soon-to-be-released DVD , so there you go.....

Talking about live shows , I think what could be a good choice is , u2 not necessarily release a tour cd , but like a full promo show , sure Brooklyn was released but only in Itunes , and I think only 4 songs . Why not release it full or another promo show like Irving Plaza or that concert in thye Astoria , London

I'm surprised they haven't gone the Who route and released live shows exclusively through the website - cost is extremely minimal, and fans are kept happy.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Who besides Pearl Jam, and their bootlegs, releases live albums anymore?

Dream Theater have an Official Bootleg series. A U2 official bootleg series :drool: .

Yeah or maybe , they could go like the Who and other bands which I don't recall that put their live concerts on the sites , which could be also a good thing to finally boost the ''so good'' u2.com membership

Back
Top Bottom