U2 & Guitar Hero... at last!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To me, playing GH3 has nothing to do with real guitars, or imagining myself as a rock star. Or even music. It's all about beating those goddamn coloured dots and feeling ridiculously pleased with yourself when you get them right, :D

At its core, it's basically an enhanced version of all those old arcade computer games I loved so much as a child and still find insanely addictive now.
exactly. i tried playing a real guitar once and had no desire to continue trying. to me, the game is just that...a game. it's fun to play and i don't use it as a substitute for the real thing.

i'm sure some people do use it as an aid to train (which i think is a bit silly as the controller is not too similar to a real guitar) or instead of the real thing, but to act as if everyone playing gh is a wannabe guitarist is a bit pompous.

You know what I do when I want to feel like a rock star? I pop in a music DVD, plug in my guitar, shut my eyes, and play along. It's a great feeling, and I certainly don't need a lame video game to experience it.

Do you hear people booing when you make a mistake or cheering when you rock? :lol:

Your argument is weak, it's like me saying to the NBA'08 player (like my son who is quite a good real-life baller) "You lamer, go get the basketball and shoot hoops by yourself, what do you need a video game for?"

Some people can be good at, and enjoy, both the virtual and real life versions of their passion. Different strokes :up:

To me, playing GH3 has nothing to do with real guitars, or imagining myself as a rock star. Or even music.

You do realize that you are in the minority in that opinion, right? I mean, it sortof goes against what you see people doing while they are playing it - and, I would imagine, what the creators thought people would like it for..

i'm sure some people do use it as an aid to train (which i think is a bit silly as the controller is not too similar to a real guitar) or instead of the real thing, but to act as if everyone playing gh is a wannabe guitarist is a bit pompous.

I'm not sure anyone has even suggested that? It's not silly to think of it as something that might spark the interest of the otherwise uninterested and/or 'train' someone who might otherwise not have yet developed the mental/physical coordination for the real thing, or aid them in developing it, imo.

Do you hear people booing when you make a mistake or cheering when you rock? :lol:

Your argument is weak, it's like me saying to the NBA'08 player (like my son who is quite a good real-life baller) "You lamer, go get the basketball and shoot hoops by yourself, what do you need a video game for?"

Some people can be good at, and enjoy, both the virtual and real life versions of their passion. Different strokes :up:

Whatever. :shrug: It just frustrates me when the people I know will actually forgo picking up the real thing because they're "awesome on Guitar Hero." Yeah, why take the time and effort to learn pentatonic scales and shit when you can play a GH song on a difficult setting? I know that's not the attitude that everyone takes with the game, but I've seen enough of it to make me dislike it immensely.

I'm not good at playing real guitar or Guitar Hero, so it's little difference to me. I do agree with Gibby about the "fuck guitars, GUITAR HERO MAN!" crowd. My buddy and I have an intense hatred for these kinds of folk.

I would love FYM: The Game, actually. It'd be a cross between World of Warcraft and Doom. Crazy conservatives pop out of NOWHERE!

I play Guitar Hero because it's fun... and when I get frustrated that I can't do F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X. on hard, I know I can go play it on real guitar, which none of my friends can do :wink:

the people who think that being good at Guitar Hero means they're the shit do annoy me a lot. to those people, I would say, well, let's see you play that on REAL guitar. but it's a fun game, and I don't think it's a substitute for playing guitar for most people - either they also play real guitar, or they don't really want to actually learn guitar anyway. I don't think anyone that plays GH should feel obligated to play real guitar :shrug:

I do think it's a bit unhealthy to practice GH for hours a day, and that those people would better spend their time on a real instrument... but again it's no different than playing any other video game for hours, and also it IS incredibly addicting. When I was at my cousin's and he first got GH3, pretty much all we did all day is alternate between GH and jamming out on real guitar (he has a Gibson SG and I have a Gibson Explorer...pretty sweet :rockon: ). i played it so much that when I was trying to read I swear I saw the frets flashing on the page :crack:

Well I just read the Wiki article for GH4 and it sounds AWESOME. My dorky self is frickin stoked, especially since my roommate has a Wii. Also I love playing drums on Rock Band, since that is something I really can't do in real life (I just can't do the hi-hat at a different rhythm), so it's cool that they're including that in GH4. I just hope the song selection is as good as GH3, which I thought was pretty stellar. Muse, Fall of Troy, Rage, Dead Kennedys, The Who, Sonic Youth, Stones, The Killers, Bloc Party, Chili Peppers... :up:

As for U2...there should definitely be a U2 song on GH. But a whole game? That seems a bit much. I don't feel like U2's songs would really lend themselves to that. There's not really enough variety or shredding solos or whatever. Like I could see them on easy, but how are they going to turn U2 songs into expert? There are some that could work maybe, like The Fly or Acrobat or Bullet, but the majority wouldn't. then again I think Aerosmith is also a dumb choice for their own game, even if they're more "guitar hero-y," they're also laaaaaame

Whatever. :shrug: It just frustrates me when the people I know will actually forgo picking up the real thing because they're "awesome on Guitar Hero." Yeah, why take the time and effort to learn pentatonic scales and shit when you can play a GH song on a difficult setting? I know that's not the attitude that everyone takes with the game, but I've seen enough of it to make me dislike it immensely.

Maybe you need to associate with new people? The attitude you're complaining about is in the minority, I would bet.

Again, I don't even think anyone in this thread even insinuated it would be better to play U2 on GH than on a real guitar. I don't even think all that many people feel that way about the game, to be honest. :shrug:

What about the people who aren't good at Guitar Hero but still think they're the shit?

YouTube - Guitar Hero

Um, I don't see anyone who thinks they are the shit in the video. this is CLEARLY two guys in an office obviously hamming it up for fun. Having fun in real life pretending to be over the top rock gods. Isn't that the point of all these games? :shrug:

Um, I don't see anyone who thinks they are the shit in the video. this is CLEARLY two guys in an office obviously hamming it up for fun. Having fun in real life pretending to be over the top rock gods. Isn't that the point of all these games? :shrug:

I wasn't being serious with that post. ;) Do you live to disagree with me, or something?

I have a high score of 80,000+ on that one. :rockon:

Impressive...!

I can do it on medium, but on hard I end up failing by the time I get to the bridge

for me with GH I can usually do pretty well on medium...I prefer hard because at least it's more like playing "real guitar" having to move your hand and all (although its really not that similar), but I have to practice songs on hard; I'd usually fail them the first time through. on medium usually I can play through a song

Impressive...!

I can do it on medium, but on hard I end up failing by the time I get to the bridge

for me with GH I can usually do pretty well on medium...I prefer hard because at least it's more like playing "real guitar" having to move your hand and all (although its really not that similar), but I have to practice songs on hard; I'd usually fail them the first time through. on medium usually I can play through a song

Unless the song is utterly impossible, I prefer expert because it feels a bit more like you're actually playing a guitar; when you nail a part, it feels awesome. On hard, well, it's a bit slow. I've beaten all the main songs but Raining Blood on hard, and all but 10 or so expert.

Unless the song is utterly impossible, I prefer expert because it feels a bit more like you're actually playing a guitar; when you nail a part, it feels awesome. On hard, well, it's a bit slow. I've beaten all the main songs but Raining Blood on hard, and all but 10 or so expert.

thats crazy...I haven't done anything on expert. Except I think maybe that Prayer of the Refugee song, cuz as I recall the expert wasn't that different from the hard on that one, and I think I did Helicopter at my cousin's. (btw...I actually enjoy the song Raining Blood :lol: I'm not much of a Slayer fan but that song is pretty badass)

I guess I just don't have time to play it - I don't actually own it. My brother does so when I'm home (like at my dad's) I can, but the majority of the time I'm not. I beat the game on medium and was gonna try to beat it on hard, but haven't played it in awhile. I can do Bulls on Parade on hard though :rockon:

Last edited:
:lol: Bull. You had said the same thing in other posts. :shrug:

No, I don't live to disagree with you, trust me. I do think most of what you've said in this thread is ridiculous, however. :wink:

I guess we're just never going to agree on anything. :hug: Congratulations, you've become my new U2girl! :wink:

Last edited:
congrats, i hate you now :madspit:

although tbh i usually play bass more than guitar on this game cuz i play it online mostly, and the person i play against prefers playing guitar. i don't care either way, so i end up playing bass. it's been a while since i've played though, cuz i can't find the disc. i ended up playing musical chairs with my wii discs cuz i couldn't find one case, and it just sort of carried over and now nothing is in the right case... :uhoh:

i only play expert, but i also only play Knights of Cydonia, Reptalia, and When You Were Young -- but i kill at Knights. i've played many online rounds and nobody's beaten me at that song.

I love my Wiitar Hero. Expert is the only way to go! :rockon: Once you can get down hammer-ons and pull-offs, the later songs become a lot easier. I keep trying to get 5 stars on all songs but I just can't seem to get in the zone on the last tier. I'll have to trade codes with my gaming pals on Interference one day.

Back
Top Bottom